Needs some guidance for healthy diet

Options
This is probably asked on a regular basis, so I apologised in advance. I am 56 years old. Started going back to the gym (every other day) since December 4. Currently weight ~86.8kg, I am 175cm tall. My goals/objectives are to take my weight down ideally to 81kg, lose the flab around my stomach. I don't want to lose the weight too quickly, and I don't want to starve myself because i know that i will just be binging eventually. Could anyone give me a calories goal daily that will achieve 1 to 1.5kg per month (while I realise that the workouts i do may convert fat to muscle). By the way my way of training is essentially using a HIIT-based workout (cardio and some strength with very little rest between sessions, + 1 session of more heavy weight lifting without the cardio). TIA
J

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What did MFP setup suggest? Have you tried that?
  • neiltillbrook
    neiltillbrook Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    After entering your details into MFP you'll normally be given a pretty accurate target, but if you're unsure, or just want to look into it a bit further, I'd suggest reading up on BMR and TDEE.

There are some good website-based calculators that will help you, or at least give you an idea, of what you should be eating per week as a goal to lose whatever you'd like to lose.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    This is probably asked on a regular basis, so I apologised in advance. I am 56 years old. Started going back to the gym (every other day) since December 4. Currently weight ~86.8kg, I am 175cm tall. My goals/objectives are to take my weight down ideally to 81kg, lose the flab around my stomach. I don't want to lose the weight too quickly, and I don't want to starve myself because i know that i will just be binging eventually. Could anyone give me a calories goal daily that will achieve 1 to 1.5kg per month (while I realise that the workouts i do may convert fat to muscle). By the way my way of training is essentially using a HIIT-based workout (cardio and some strength with very little rest between sessions, + 1 session of more heavy weight lifting without the cardio). TIA
    J

Weight loss is taking in fewer calories than your body uses in a day. Look up your maintenance calories and eat less than that number.

Fat will get used as fuel when you eat fewer calories than maintenance. Muscle too can be used as fuel, but strength training, adequate protein, and adequate calories can help mitigate that. But muscle doesn't turn into fat.

Eating "healthy" is very subjective. My approach is to meet (or surpass) protein goals, get a decent amount of dietary fat, I also set a fiber goal......and then eat foods I like that help me reach those goals.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I like to use the IIFYM calculator, and it seems to produce good numbers for me.

What's healthy eating is going to be very individual. There are some basic guidelines, but much will vary depending on your workout intensity and frequency. The calculator I use I can get macros sent to me, and I shoot for those ranges. I try to fill up on veggies (thankfully I like them) and lean protein, and some carbs for energy but not a major portion of my meals.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options

1677 calories a day, which seems very low for me as I love food. If I remember well on day i exercise i will need to subtract the calories i have burned during workout, correct?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

1677 calories a day, which seems very low for me as I love food. If I remember well on day i exercise i will need to subtract the calories i have burned during workout, correct?

No, you need to ADD calories on days you exercise.
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    I like to use the IIFYM calculator, and it seems to produce good numbers for me.

What's healthy eating is going to be very individual. There are some basic guidelines, but much will vary depending on your workout intensity and frequency. The calculator I use I can get macros sent to me, and I shoot for those ranges. I try to fill up on veggies (thankfully I like them) and lean protein, and some carbs for energy but not a major portion of my meals.

just Googled IIFYM calculator, as I did not know what it was. The page i found is pretty close to what the MFP suggested just over 1700 calories. God that's going to be hard to follow
  • kommodevaran
    edited December 2017
    Options

1677 calories a day, which seems very low for me as I love food.
    We all love food... It sounds low, I agree. What rate of loss, and what activity level, did you pick?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

just Googled IIFYM calculator, as I did not know what it was. The page i found is pretty close to what the MFP suggested just over 1700 calories. God that's going to be hard to follow

Do you know how much you're eating now?
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    [quote=

Do you know how much you're eating now?[/quote]
    Today i did input what i ate and it came to 1830 calories and still got at least 3 hours before going to bed.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Today i did input what i ate and it came to 1830 calories and still got at least 3 hours before going to bed.

Do you feel like you need to eat in the three hours before going to bed? No judgment there, I like to eat late too. If you like to eat later in the day, it can be relatively easy to juggle your calories to have more left later in the day.

Some people have some success with getting started with just logging their "normal" days for a week or two to get the hang of logging and see what patterns emerge. Sometimes when we do that, we can find places where it is easier to cut calories. It can be less daunting sometimes than just jumping right into a deficit.

• jc1961AA
    Options

We all love food... It sounds low, I agree. What rate of loss, and what activity level, did you pick?

I don't know, the BMR calculator i used just asked for my gender, weight, height and age
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I don't know, the BMR calculator i used just asked for my gender, weight, height and age

Why not use MFP?
  • jc1961AA
    Options

Why not use MFP?

Where do you get it? Thanks
  • jc1961AA
    Options

Do you feel like you need to eat in the three hours before going to bed? No judgment there, I like to eat late too. If you like to eat later in the day, it can be relatively easy to juggle your calories to have more left later in the day.

Some people have some success with getting started with just logging their "normal" days for a week or two to get the hang of logging and see what patterns emerge. Sometimes when we do that, we can find places where it is easier to cut calories. It can be less daunting sometimes than just jumping right into a deficit.

I will have a couple of instant coffee, TBH i will have to resist to have something sweet with it (bad habit)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Why not use MFP?

Where do you get it? Thanks

You're using it now...
  • kommodevaran
    edited December 2017
    Options

Then you didn't answer my question. I should have noticed - MFP gives round numbers - so let's try again, what does MFP give you when you enter your stats, a reasonable judgement of your own activity level (before exercise) and goal to lose 1/2 or 1/4 kilo per week?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I will have a couple of instant coffee, TBH i will have to resist to have something sweet with it (bad habit)

Got it. *Lots* of us love to finish the day with something sweet. If you check out various threads in the "Food" area of the forum, you can probably get ideas for lower calorie sweet stuff (if that's your thing) or you can just do what I do and arrange some calories for a portion of something you already enjoy.
  • jc1961AA
    Options

Then you didn't answer my question. I should have noticed - MFP gives round numbers - so let's try again, what does MFP give you when you enter your stats, a reasonable judgement of your own activity level (before exercise) and goal to lose 1/2 or 1/4 kilo per week?

1800 calories with the goal of losing 0.25kg per week
  • kommodevaran
    Options

1800 calories with the goal of losing 0.25kg per week
    Good, that sounds a bit better. Maybe you're more active than you think? If you set your activity level higher, you get more calories. Remember that you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories too (just be careful, the numbers are somewhat inflated, so eat back 50-75%).