Fish

Camera_BagintheUK
Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
I was veggie for about 25 years but have gone back to eating meat and fish now.

I like fish but could really do with some ideas (ed) since I don't really have much experience of cooking fish - and preferably using sustainable fish varieties. I'm getting bored (and feel guilty) of baking salmon fillets in foil, or making tuna pasta.

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    I cook my salmon in unbleached parchment paper, papillote style and throw vegies on top. You don't need anything to season if you don't want. I regularly cook other fish the same way, most commonly black cod, mahi mahi, tilapia (also on the stove to make fish tacos) and halibut. I check out the monterey aquariums sustainability guide before buying fish, and go to either whole foods or a high end fish market close to me to buy it.

Note, I'm bad with wrapping papillote, therefore I literally staple that sucker closed. I keep a stapler in my kitchen drawer. Use it more than my can opener. ;-)
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    slow cooking the fish over low heat will give you much better results

also why not use dif types of citrus glaze like grapefruit, lime, lemon, pomelo

Maybe do a white wine reduction with shallot and garlic, or toss in some fresh Greek oregano or a dif direction with Thai basil give it that anise flavor or do a lemon tarragon.

Fish taco with cilentro, cumin and oregano some fresh chili's maybe even some salsa verde! :)

or do a Jamaican fish curry or switch that up for a Thai green Fish Curry soup

lots and lots of possibilities
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch is a great resource for choosing "ocean-friendly" seafood. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx

I like to bread fish (tilapia, sole, halibut, etc) in a mixture of almond meal, dried herbs, and salt and pepper and then bake it.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch is a great resource for choosing "ocean-friendly" seafood. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx

I like to bread fish (tilapia, sole, halibut, etc) in a mixture of almond meal, dried herbs, and salt and pepper and then bake it.

using crushed nuts is a good idea but I would add toasting them before crusting them onto the fish and still using a slow cook method over low heat.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Marinate tuna steaks in garlic, soy, ginger, lime, chilli and sesame oil, then grill or griddle them (you can do the same with salmon). You can also do a yummy marinade for tuna with garlic, olive oil, lemon and rosemary (the rosemary sounds odd but it works!). I'd also say pan fry sea bass fillets, but whenever I try to do this it goes wrong and all the skin comes off!

ETA you can find sustainable varieties of most of these - go for line caught. Organic farmed salmon is best for salmon, I believe. I avoid the wild stuff and bargain basement ones like the plague.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Not sure if this would work for you, but one of my favorite ways to eat fish is to take a white fish, like tilapia, then spread on some dijon, wrap it in prosciutto, and cook it in a pan with just enough olive oil to keep from sticking. Teriyaki / asian marinaded salmon is something you can never go wrong with either, though I've taken to just pan searing it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of ground mustard.
  • TimIredale
    TimIredale Posts: 12 Member
    usually i have salmon with green pesto on. but goes well with other fish.

Trout is an amazing fish, i usually do trout with a beetroot and leaf salad and horseradish mixed in creme fraiche. yummy
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I eat A LOT of fish. I usually just bake it in the oven with some olive oil, lemon, and onion or whatever else I fancy. I also tend to rely on Ocean Wise for info on sustainable fish. http://www.oceanwise.ca/
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    River cobbler fillets from Asda are great. Just fry them with some black pepper
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Teriyaki is a great flavor profile for Tuna! Lemon/dill for salmon or a brown sugar/soy type of thing works great as well. I prefer to pan sear my tuna and broil salmon in the oven. I'm making an interesting dish I found on food network tonight - Sicilian Pasta w/Eggplant and Swordfish (I'm using mahi mahi instead of swordfish b/c that's what was in the freezer haha) which looks really good! :) Fish tacos with tilapia! Or italian seasoned tilapia shredded over a nice salad is great too.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    mmmmm Mouth watering! There's a fishmongers near me, he'll be shut now, but I'll pop up there tomorrow I think....