Converting raw to cooked weight

Options
AMC110
AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
I had some roasted beef today but the nutritional values on the label were only available for the uncooked weight. The whole thing weighed 2 kg raw and reduced by 53% to 936 g through the cooking process. My portion weighed 175 g which I have worked out to be 380 g raw, but would putting this number into MFP give me the correct nutritional values since the beef would have lost a lot of fat? I'm confused about how the log this.

Replies

• mackau
    mackau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Most of that reduction will be water weight. A small amount of fat.

Unless you're eating an entire kilo of cooked meat, the difference between a properly calculated raw calories, and a properly calculated cooked calories is insignificant enough to not worry about it.

If you only have a raw value, then use that with the raw weight.

If you have a cooked weight use that.

For both types make sure you include any additional butter, fat, oil etc that you use to cook the items in.
  • suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I struggle converting rice sometimes, can never mind the exact right type online (I have a great ethnic food shop near me, so eat many different types and brands of rice that you don't normally find in grocery stores)

I'd go with the raw data, at least that way if the data is inaccurate, it will be overestimated, rather than under.