Does overtraining slow the metabolism

Options

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you are over-eating, btw. The person who said you are gaining muscle and losing fat is also wrong, because you sound like you've been lifting a while - you cannot do both at the same time.

Umm... I beg to differ. I haven't lost any weight in months but have gone down 3% in body fat doing cardio and weight training. If he is eating at a deficit and exercising he is obviously not gaining fat. It could be water retention or all manner of things. But to just dismiss muscle growth seems a little ignorant to me.

Just so you know, there is no 100% accurate way to test bodyfat, and if you've JUST started weight training in the last few months, I have stated it is possible, BUT NOT if he is experienced.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The only eating 1200-1400 Cals a day is what is hosing up your metabolism. With as much exercise as you're doing, you really need to eat more.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

John, read that article, towards the bottom it addresses BMR. I personally think you're under eating for a man your size. Have you used the calculators at scoobyworkshop.com or IIFYM.com yet? If not, I'd do check those out. ;)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    The only eating 1200-1400 Cals a day is what is hosing up your metabolism. With as much exercise as you're doing, you really need to eat more.

If he was really eating 1200-1400 calories a day, he would be losing weight regardless of what is "happening" to his metabolism.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you are over-eating, btw. The person who said you are gaining muscle and losing fat is also wrong, because you sound like you've been lifting a while - you cannot do both at the same time.

Is that really true... you cannot gain muscle and burn fat at the same time...? And you're sure I''m overeating at a net of 1400 calories? Wow... I'm not trying to be a smart allec, but, what about the warnings regarding starvation mode due to too few calories? Really, boiled down to the bare essence... that becomes the true question... am i undereating, which can slow the metabolism?

Overeating would cause weight gain... that's not happening... and, as i stated above, the belt has tightened a notch or two during the process.

Yes it is true, and gymgypsy is spouting faff.

If you have been lifting for a while, (3 months or longer) you can not build muscle and lose fat at the same time, it takes years.

If you disagree with me, go over to bodybuilding.com losing fat section, and everyone will tell you exactly the same. Starvation mode is not really an issue, and you're over thinking. You could also be miscalculating your calories (you wont like to hear it, but its possible).

Thank you, Doctor. I didn't know you could get your MD from Bodybuilding.com.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Training hard =/= overtraining.

Overtraining is when your system is highly stressed over long periods of time. symptoms include irritability, elevated resting heart rate and run down/flue like symptoms. It has nothing to do with your metabolism.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Is that really true... you cannot gain muscle and burn fat at the same time...? And you're sure I''m overeating at a net of 1400 calories? Wow... I'm not trying to be a smart allec, but, what about the warnings regarding starvation mode due to too few calories? Really, boiled down to the bare essence... that becomes the true question... am i undereating, which can slow the metabolism?

Overeating would cause weight gain... that's not happening... and, as i stated above, the belt has tightened a notch or two during the process.

If you have been lifting for a while, (3 months or longer) you can not build muscle and lose fat at the same time, it takes years.

If you disagree with me, go over to bodybuilding.com losing fat section, and everyone will tell you exactly the same. Starvation mode is not really an issue, and you're over thinking. You could also be miscalculating your calories (you wont like to hear it, but its possible).

I am fully educated in what I am talking about, sup.
  • ijohn001
    ijohn001 Posts: 166
    Options
    ok... so i'm either eating too much or i'm eating too little, that seems to be the consensus.

I guess I'll have to experiment, then... see if eating more or eating less will get any results.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

If you disagree with me, go over to bodybuilding.com losing fat section, and everyone will tell you exactly the same. Starvation mode is not really an issue, and you're over thinking. You could also be miscalculating your calories (you wont like to hear it, but its possible)

Well, I guess I'm a special snowflake...you may want to google body recompostion. How about a link to your quoted BB.com on the subject?? http://blog.bodybuilding.com/wedjim/2012/02/25/tracking_macros_and_adjusting_as/

I've been doing this for longer than three months, and I've gained quite a bit of muscle (for a lady), lost only 3 pounds on the scale but three dress sizes and almost 10% BF. So yes, you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, it just takes a lot longer.

OP: have you calculated your TDEE - you may need to eat more. Here's a good link: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ My maintenance is around 2200 cals, and I eat around 1900-2000 per day with 35P/35C/30F macros.

Best of luck.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I have a brother who has a holistic doctor. He reportedly told my brother that doing extensive cardio (extensive being more than 3 times per week) will actually cause the metabolism to slow at a drastic rate. I'd never heard that before, but here's my situation...

I'm exercising about 5 days per week, including hiit workouts for approximately 30 minutes and doing high intensity resistance training about 3 days per week. Every workout that I do is high intensity.

When I started, I weighed 218. I'm now down to 195 and have been stuck at the same weight for about 4 weeks. I have had to tighten my belt a notch or two in that time, but no weight loss.

My question is... am I overtraining? Too much cardio?

My goal is not to build a bigger muscle set, but to get lean and tone what i already have.

My net calorie intake usually ends up being a bit low... around 1200-1400 per day... of course, that's after all the exercise calories are deducted.

I appreciate any feedback.... oh, and I'd also welcome any new friend requests.

I've taken biochemistry, and I can see how this could happen, especially if the person is also eating not enough calories for maintenance. The body thinks it's in starvation mode. Basically, I thnk the message is: don't diet or do excessive cardio for too many weeks in a row, because the body will try to adapt to re-establish an equilibrium.
  • ijohn001
    Options

[/quote]

If you disagree with me, go over to bodybuilding.com losing fat section, and everyone will tell you exactly the same. Starvation mode is not really an issue, and you're over thinking. You could also be miscalculating your calories (you wont like to hear it, but its possible)
    [/quote]

Well, I guess I'm a special snowflake...you may want to google body recompostion. How about a link to your quoted BB.com on the subject?? http://blog.bodybuilding.com/wedjim/2012/02/25/tracking_macros_and_adjusting_as/

I've been doing this for longer than three months, and I've gained quite a bit of muscle (for a lady), lost only 3 pounds on the scale but three dress sizes and almost 10% BF. So yes, you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, it just takes a lot longer.

OP: have you calculated your TDEE - you may need to eat more. Here's a good link: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ My maintenance is around 2200 cals, and I eat around 1900-2000 per day with 35P/35C/30F macros.

Best of luck.
    [/quote]

Thanks.. i have calculated macros and have personalized goals on MFP, but i haven't used this site... i'll have look at it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Weight loss REDUCES metabolic rate. Calorie deficit reduces metabolic rate. Sleeping reduces metabolic rate.

Your bro is using broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes. Improbable. Yes. Gaining muscle is an anabolic process. Losing fat is a catabolic process. They'd wash each other out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ijohn001
    Options

Best of luck.

ok... just re-calculated my TDEE... at 2,475 and my Daily calorie intake at 1,980. interesting what statement is found at the bottom of the calculator...

"You might be losing fat at a rate faster than is indicated if you are adding muscle mass at the same time by doing a weight lifting program in conjunction with your fat loss program. For example, if you have set your goal to be "gain muscle, lose fat" then although your scale weight remains the same you can be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same rate. The only way to know your true progress is to use a skin fold caliper to measure your bodyfat percentage accurately."

hmmm, ponder this on the tree of wool, Conan!
  • ijohn001
    Options
    I have a brother who has a holistic doctor. He reportedly told my brother that doing extensive cardio (extensive being more than 3 times per week) will actually cause the metabolism to slow at a drastic rate. I'd never heard that before, but here's my situation...

I'm exercising about 5 days per week, including hiit workouts for approximately 30 minutes and doing high intensity resistance training about 3 days per week. Every workout that I do is high intensity.

When I started, I weighed 218. I'm now down to 195 and have been stuck at the same weight for about 4 weeks. I have had to tighten my belt a notch or two in that time, but no weight loss.

My question is... am I overtraining? Too much cardio?

My goal is not to build a bigger muscle set, but to get lean and tone what i already have.

My net calorie intake usually ends up being a bit low... around 1200-1400 per day... of course, that's after all the exercise calories are deducted.

I appreciate any feedback.... oh, and I'd also welcome any new friend requests.

I've taken biochemistry, and I can see how this could happen, especially if the person is also eating not enough calories for maintenance. The body thinks it's in starvation mode. Basically, I thnk the message is: don't diet or do excessive cardio for too many weeks in a row, because the body will try to adapt to re-establish an equilibrium.

might be time for a break, or a change-up then... huh?
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ok... so i'm either eating too much or i'm eating too little, that seems to be the consensus.

I guess I'll have to experiment, then... see if eating more or eating less will get any results.

Do you measure/weigh everything you eat? If you are truly netting 1200-1400 per day and not losing weight (which has happened to me as well, I actually ended up gaining everything I lost eating about the same amount) I think you should look at increasing your calories. I would suggest figuring out your BMR and not netting below that. Try that for 4 weeks and see how that works.
    It may not be putting your body in 'starvation mode" but I do believe it slows down your metabolism. It happened to me when I was eating 1400-1500 calories per day and burning more than 1,000 per day in exercise.

Good luck!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
  • ijohn001
    Options

Do you measure/weigh everything you eat? If you are truly netting 1200-1400 per day and not losing weight (which has happened to me as well, I actually ended up gaining everything I lost eating about the same amount) I think you should look at increasing your calories. I would suggest figuring out your BMR and not netting below that. Try that for 4 weeks and see how that works.
    It may not be putting your body in 'starvation mode" but I do believe it slows down your metabolism. It happened to me when I was eating 1400-1500 calories per day and burning more than 1,000 per day in exercise.

Good luck!

i'm feeling that.... already changed up my macros to reflect a higher calorie intake.
  • ijohn001
    Options

yeah... that's good... i'm gonna take a break for a few days, get back on it and see what happens...

Historically, when i was lifting heavy, i'd have to cycle off of heavy weight about every 5-6 weeks as my body just stopped responding to it and I'd plateau. After about a week off... the gains would be back again. That may be what's happening here with my diet, too. It would stand to reason.

Gonna give it a shot and see what happens. At worst, I'll just pick up an extra pound or two... at best... I'll lose a pound or two... no biggie either way.

Thanks, bro.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

No, just your BS.