Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Nice consistency @skippygirlsmom
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Wow! Glad you & your companion are safe! Guess that's one way to get your heart rate up?
    ________
    Monthly Goal: 23 miles

1/8: 2.22
    1/9: 2.23 - 4.45 done, 18.55 to go

____
    Year goal: 200 miles - 4.45 done -- 195.55 to go
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    1/1/18-6 miles
    1/4/18-3 miles
    1/6/18-6 miles
    1/7/18-3.25 miles
    1/9/18-3miles

21.25/60 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/17/18-Run to the Pub-half Marathon (not signed up yet)
    5/12/18-Montana Womens Run-5 Miles
    7/15/18-Missoula Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    1/1/18-6 miles
    1/4/18-3 miles
    1/6/18-6 miles
    1/7/18-3.25 miles
    1/9/18-3miles

21.25/60 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/17/18-Run to the Pub-half Marathon (not signed up yet)
    5/12/18-Montana Womens Run-5 Miles
    7/15/18-Missoula Marathon

Looks like you're perfectly on track to meet/exceed your goal this month. Great job!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I track on Strava and just note which pair I used. Strava does all the tracking. Remember, rotating shoes makes a difference. There's a reason I have 6 pair of road and 4 pair of trail. Though I expect to get closer to 1000 miles from trail shies, as it's less impact.

Yea, but then I have to edit every run and add the shoes right? There is little chance of me remembering to do that long-term.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - wow, glad you and Kody are okay! Where I live, pedestrians legally have the right of way at all times - there is never any situation in which it is okay for a vehicle to hit a pedestrian. But the flip side of that is that pedestrians are extremely squishy and vehicles can't always see them, so the best principle is to make sure you are never where a car can hit you.

Mine is not a running kind of neighborhood, but we have a lot of people who walk to the store and work, and sometimes I'm horrified by how invisible they are at night. Even on a fairly well-lit street a dark skinned person in dark clothing is just not visible at all. Flashers and reflective tape only make the slightest bit of difference, since tape only shows up when the headlights hit the person directly, by which time they are too close to avoid, and flashing lights at night don't give any sense of scale or distance to a driver.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 So glad you and Kody are both ok!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I track on Strava and just note which pair I used. Strava does all the tracking. Remember, rotating shoes makes a difference. There's a reason I have 6 pair of road and 4 pair of trail. Though I expect to get closer to 1000 miles from trail shies, as it's less impact.

Yea, but then I have to edit every run and add the shoes right? There is little chance of me remembering to do that long-term.

My Run-OCD makes it easy. I go into edit after every run, mainly because I switch it to say workout or Long Run anyway, and I'm often renaming runs so I can just look at my training log and see what kind of workouts I did, so It's easy for me to just switch shoes then
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

My Run-OCD makes it easy. I go into edit after every run, mainly because I switch it to say workout or Long Run anyway, and I'm often renaming runs so I can just look at my training log and see what kind of workouts I did, so It's easy for me to just switch shoes then

My Run-Laziness makes that very unlikely to happen :lol: After a run, I am thinking about shower and food not Strava :sunglasses:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

My Run-Laziness makes that very unlikely to happen :lol: After a run, I am thinking about shower and food not Strava :sunglasses:

After run for me it's Food, poop, Strava (during poop) and shower... yay for multitasking!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Nice consistency @skippygirlsmom

Thanks @MNLittleFinn that was my problem last month. All over the place.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all comments. Day or night, a runner has to assume that they're invisible to drivers. I know this, and I practice this, except for that one moment. Talking about right of way and liability might make for some academic arguments but ultimately we all have to take responsibility for our own safety. My son is going through drivers training and as I tell him, knowing which driver has right of way is great, but we can't assume other drivers will respect that. You may be right, but you may be dead right. Treat all other drivers as idiots.

@girlinahat & @Stoshew71 I was going between two cars so that minivan had no way of seeing me until it was too late. There is no fault on their part. They had no time to react at all. As far as the car blocking the crosswalk, I came up from behind him, I wasn't running parallel. He didn't need to block the crosswalk to turn but he couldn't have seen me as I came from behind him and there was no yielding he could do at that point.
    @juliet3455 I normally do wear flashing red lights on the back of my headlamp but last night I didn't. I picked up some cheap ones on Amazon. One goes on me, one goes on Kody. You make a great point about not assuming drivers can see us, particularly if they're turning.
    @rheddmobile we have the same law here but there's not much a driver can do when a pedestrian steps out between to cars right in their path. Since I wasn't in a crosswalk I don't think they would have any liability in that case, not that I would care at that point ;) It's not OK, but you can't find fault with that driver for my screwup.

Here's a diagram to give the incident more context:

ltyq08z4msic.jpg

@orphia you always have such great photos!
    @NikolaosKey get better soon, my friend! At least with a diagnosis you start targeting the rehab.
    @MNLittleFinn you're getting some high miles from your shoes. I err on the side of caution and get rid of mine between 300 and 400 miles. I don't have a set mileage but wait until I can feel the difference in my body after a run. I figure at 215 pounds, I wear shoes out quicker than someone significantly lighter. I may be throwing away my shoes prematurely but I'd rather do that than risk injury. If you keep track of your shoe mileage on strava or Garmin Connnect it appears that that chart is redundant, unless I'm missing something. And your Nikes...why not just wait until take another run in them? There's no need to stop right AT 600 miles is there?
    @PastorVincent You can set Strava up to include a default pair of shoes if there's on pair you usually use. To switch which pair you used on a particular run is pretty simple too. You're already editing your runs to change the titles. Logging shoes is just a matter of clicking on the drop-down menu just below that. The way you use for determining when to toss a pair of shoes work just fine, of course, but I'm a data geek so I like to track my miles.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My post above prompted me to google.

https://news.wgbh.org/2016/06/08/local-news/who-has-right-way-crosswalk-its-not-simple-you-think

Bottom line, not all cross walks are made equal. It depends on local laws, if there are traffic lights at the intersection, and "walk/don't walk" lights. But when no lights are present at the intersection, the law (at least in Massachusetts) is:

"The right of way is not something that you have, it’s something that you give. So, you don’t take the right of way, you give the right of way," he explained.

Now there are, of course, no shortage of crosswalks where there’s no traffic signals or stoplights. And it’s at these kinds of crosswalks where the law really favors the pedestrian. Caselden explained some of the gritty details of the law:
    • If a pedestrian is in a crosswalk you have to wait for them to complete their path all the way through.
    • If they are coming toward your lane from the other side of a two way street, and are within 10 feet, you need to stop.
    • If your side of the road is two lanes, and the car in the other lane has stopped, you are not permitted to pass that car and enter the crosswalk.

So what if a pedestrian is on the sidewalk and look like they want to cross? Here, the law is actually a little less specific, but Caselden says his read is that drivers need to hit the brakes.

"Basically that’s my understanding," he said. "If they have the intent of crossing within a reasonable distance of it then yeah you gotta stop."