• dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @abutcher2122 Wow, awesome result for your first 5K!!!

@rheddmobile Bravo on your PB!! Love your badass bridge crossing!

@KeepRunningFatboy Do I spy a new marathon on your schedule coming very soon?

@shanaber Get well soon, and fluffy bunnies and warm bedding and comfort food to you.
    Apologies for double-posting, but my previous post was so long I didn't want to add to it again. I just wanted to comment about how much fun I had doing a destination race vacation. I travel solo 90% of the time when I do travel, and this was one of the best trips I've had. The camaraderie of runners was amazing. I met runners everywhere I went (it's a small island :)) and immediately had things to talk about. I stayed at a guest house type of hotel and had the most fun sitting by the pool and in the whirlpool chit-chatting with other runners. One couple in particular almost convinced me to sign up for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on the spot. Lol.

I am just blown away by the fact that I can do this (run) and enjoy so many benefits, the biggest of which has to be all the friends and acquaintances I've made along the way - including all of you invisible friends here! /end mushy feelings post.

@katharmonic What beautiful sentiments. It's so true - running gives you the most amazing experiences and interactions.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    3 hr limit on training runs.

@cburke8909 @PastorVincent @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn Even for training for over marathon distance?

I did 30.6 km gently this morning. Took me 3 hours 40 minutes.

Had planned 33 km but cut it slightly short as it was getting too hot in the sun for me, and thought I'd err on the side of caution.

I'm planning to do a 50 km run (hopefully in the next couple of months), which might take me 6 hours as an estimate.

I might do one more 35 km run in training, and then two HMs a day apart, as my longest runs before the full 50 km.

How does that sound?

I have no 3 hour limit. Not sure why that was attributed to me. I would have run 4 today, save for sunset.

Some of the really smart sounding people say that you never have to run more than 80% of your race distance in training, some even say shorter. BUT @JessicaMcB preaches run your full race distance and she is killing it out there. :smiley:

The thing to be careful of is where each runner is in their journey. So I would advise someone that is working towards their FIRST EVER marathon differently than someone that has a few under their belt.

If you were looking at your first ever race, I would point you at Hal's plans and he limits the long run to 20 miles. I have seen others limit it to 16. I think 16 is way to short, but 20 does seem to be a good balance between time, not risking overtraining, less injury risk, and still going far enough to fight through the long run issues with fueling and etc.

For myself, I have 2 marathons under my belt and regularly run 50-60 miles a week. I am not in that category anymore and will run 4+ hours in training when sunset moves later in the day and weather is better.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @Orphia as someone who trains to 100% distance I would only max my 50k training runs at three hours if I could run a 50k in three hours. I'm in the minority but I can't say I've heard much of a 3 hour cut off, its usually 20-25 mile max outs I hear of from people who don't go to 100%. Your plan sounds good!

I personally do not consider myself an elite of any kind but totally agree with @PastorVincent that you are a special sort of elite inspiring people all over the place <3

@JessicaMcB You have a sponsor, you can no longer claim not to be a pro at this :lol:
  • kat_ontherun
    kat_ontherun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - awesome job on your long run!

@rheddmobile - congrats on your 5k PR! I also would love to get a sub 30 time on a 5k!

@polskagirl101 - I don't know about anyone else, but I've always been able to tell in the past that if I'm pushing myself too hard, I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to lose my lunch. Once there is blurry vision or I can't catch my breath, I stop no matter what. It's only happened a couple times, and only during sprints that are over 400 meters. Overall, it's better to be safe than sorry!

@abutcher2122 - congrats on your 5k PR!

@fithealthygirl - I can totally relate! I have a ton of catching up to do with my running, especially after being out sick for more than a week!

• penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png