January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Hugs for the financial low period, and for the electricity outage!

Am I a bad person for telling people what I want for my birthday and Christmas, ie running shoes or gear?

@katharmonic @HRKinchen That Niagara Falls HM sounds so epic!!!

@KeepRunningFatboy Woah, your fitness must be off the charts!! I'm sure you are going to do brilliantly in your marathon on Saturday! :open_mouth::heart:

@kat_ontherun Yay for your distance PB!! :heart: Stupid feet letting the body down! :smile:

Dammit, I'm replying to things all over the place. Damn technology can't keep up with me, or rather vice versa. :lol:
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 You have way more screws in your shoe than I do. I only have screws placed around the outer edge of the shoe, none in the middle of the Heel Pad or the Ball of the foot. I do have 2 rows at the front of the toe to ensure a good push off. The front row only touch's down as you push off, during most of the stride it is just barely touching the ground/ice. Good to hear about positive PT experience.

Can you post a picture of your layout? :)

Today was amazing! I ran 5.1 miles - a new distance PR! My last PR was 5 - but it still counts for something! I did a fartlek ladder type of run today which helped to mix things up. Honestly, I wasn't even tired when I was done. I could have easily gone a couple more miles if my toes didn't start to swell up and my feet didn't start hurting. My mind and the rest of my body was wanting to continue - but I didn't want to hurt my feet too much so I stopped.

My 75 mile goal - I might have to bring it down to 60, but I will give it my all. I can honestly say that even if I have to lower my goal, I'm in the best shape that I've ever been in my life! Keep crushing those miles everyone - it IS making a difference!

exercise.png

Well said, and congrats!!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I agree about the MFP phone app for Community. I only use it if I need to add a photo to a post. I always wait till I'm at home to read the forums and post.

Whereas the phone app is awesome for logging food. I never use the PC to do that.

I'm going on holiday next month, so that will be a test of my patience, with only the phone for posting!

Cool info from the PT! I like how she doesn't recommend 180 cadence. That's common, but seems to be too aggressive.

Hip drop? Have you been tested for (a) fallen arche(s) by a podiatrist?

Same here. The phone app is way better for food entry, but use my computer for this thread. :)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    I live in Ontario, Canada, about 75 miles northeast of Detroit. The package left from Seattle, WA, went to Phoenix, AZ, then Los Angeles, CA, then Detroit, then Toronto, before getting to my local post office. I don’t understand the Phoenix or Los Angeles detour. USPS is weird.

They seem so counterintuitive sometimes don't they. I'm currently watching a package for work wend its way across the continental US from Florida to Alberta. It appears they shipped it ground...
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    A new race on the calendar - the Niagara Falls Women's Half in June. Sounds like a fun event with views of the falls - twice! Promises a great swag bag with wine and cosmetics, your medal put on by a firefighter and "Port-a-potties with flowers and lavender scent". LOL. They also promise a 1 to 40 potty to runner ratio (standard is apparently 1 to 100).

Looks like I have a new bucket list addition. :wink:

Me too! I checked it out for this year but I get back from a week's vacation that week and work would probably frown upon me taking off again.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    A new race on the calendar - the Niagara Falls Women's Half in June. Sounds like a fun event with views of the falls - twice! Promises a great swag bag with wine and cosmetics, your medal put on by a firefighter and "Port-a-potties with flowers and lavender scent". LOL. They also promise a 1 to 40 potty to runner ratio (standard is apparently 1 to 100).

Looks like I have a new bucket list addition. :wink:

Me too! I checked it out for this year but I get back from a week's vacation that week and work would probably frown upon me taking off again.

Oh too bad. If anyone does decide to do it, be sure to let me know! It would be fun to try to meet up!

Edited to add @ddmom0811 that looks pretty cool. I signed up so I can check it out.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I'm so sorry to hear about the student at your school. Incredibly tragic. There will be some sad, tough times ahead for everyone but often a tragic death will bring a community closer.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 You have way more screws in your shoe than I do. I only have screws placed around the outer edge of the shoe, none in the middle of the Heel Pad or the Ball of the foot. I do have 2 rows at the front of the toe to ensure a good push off. The front row only touch's down as you push off, during most of the stride it is just barely touching the ground/ice. Good to hear about positive PT experience.

@juliet3455 I went a bit overboard with my layout, and I was in a hurry putting them in. With the deep snow I had to run through I was thinking I needed more screws to ensure traction, and figure since I was running on snow the screws below my heel and ball of foot wouldn't bother me. The heel screws didn't, but the ball of foot screws did. You're layout is how I would normally do it. In hindsight I shouldn't have posted that photo so the pattern doesn't get copied.

@garygse I hope I didn't sound preachy, just would hate to see you get reinjured. Sounds like you're doing it right.
    @katharmonic perhaps that's the race which would entice my wife to start running!
    @kat_ontherun congrats on the distance PR! That's awesome!
    @orphia the PT did say that 180 is optimal that the point is to get you landing directly under your hips. I'm reaching out just a little bit past my hips with and average cadence of 160 so she wants me to increase that by about 5%. The cadence number is the key point, it's the landing point. Working on cadence just helps you get there. If you have the proper landing, all three joints (hips, knees, ankles) absorb the impact equally so there's less risk of injury. My hip drop is due to a weak gluteus medius. As I land on my right foot, my left hip is dropping 7% off the horizontal plane. A stronger right glute med would do a better job holding up the left hip, and IIRC, reduce the tension in my right IT band. I think that's correct. All the great information she gave me was like drinking from a firehose. A bit overwhelming to try to remember it all. I'm getting a list of things to go over with her tomorrow at my next appointment and one thing is to go over my mechanics again.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @ddmom0811 so sorry to hear that. I guess it is a reminder that any of us can go at any time and to treasure the time we have more.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@garygse I hope I didn't sound preachy, just would hate to see you get reinjured. Sounds like you're doing it right.

Ditto!

@katharmonic- That Niagra half does sound amazing. I plan to look into it. I take my mom on a mini vacation every other year. We went to Niagra Falls one year and it was her favorite. Sounds like it might be a great reason to return!

I am looking forward to this evening's run. Forecast is sunny (well sunset, but even better) and 45! What does that feel like???? If only I could remember!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    201.27 miles of 200 mile goal

1/1 Run 2.07 miles
    1/2 Run 2.01 miles
    1/3 Run 6.51 miles
    1/4 Run 2.51 miles
    1/5 Run 8.13 miles
    1/6 Run 13.16 miles
    1/7 Run 3.55 miles
    1/8 Run 6.36 miles