Sausage, Hash Brown, and Egg White hash - 343 cal per serving

Options
Tweaking_Time
Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
I hate not feeling full so I came up with this recipe that is tasty, filling, and sort-of easy to make. It keeps well in the fridge and reheats very well. So when I make this, I typically make 4 servings so we have 2 for later.

Ingredients:
2 servings SIMPLY POTATOES - 140 cal. (or 140 calories of your favorite potato diced up)
4 oz. of pre-cooked Jimmy Dean Sausage - 400 cal
8 lg. egg white - 136 cal
Non-stick cooking spray - 2 second blast - 10 cal.
OPTIONAL - Onions, peppers, tomatoes
TOTAL = 686 calories for 2 servings or 343 calories per serving

I precook Jimmy Dean spicy or regular sausage and chop it up finely so it is easier to measure

Instructions:
Apply cooking spray to skillet
Add hash browns (or the cut up potato) and brown
add onions (and optional peppers) to the hash browns early on
add sausage (and optional tomatoes) when hash browns nearly done
add egg white when sausage/hash browns are done

Of course all of the above needs to be stirred periodically

Here is a picture of 2 servings of the finished product (onions only - too lazy to cut up peppers and tomatoes this morning)

uzj9nfov4a1v.jpg

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I make something similar, but with spinach instead of onions/peppers. I also sometimes add a slice of thin cut cheddar cheese (43 cal) or an ounce of reduced fat feta (50 cal) to get some healthy fats in the meal. I might have to try the onion/pepper route next time to change it up a bit.

Quick question - how are you calculating your egg whites? I use egg beaters and the carton says 25 cal per 1 egg white, so 8 egg whites would be 200 cal. Nominal difference in the grande scheme of things, but curious minds want to know :)
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Quick question - how are you calculating your egg whites? I use egg beaters and the carton says 25 cal per 1 egg white, so 8 egg whites would be 200 cal. Nominal difference in the grande scheme of things, but curious minds want to know :)

I use 17 calories per large egg white. I crack the eggs the old fashioned way and separate. Egg beaters are less food for more calories. I get a lot of calorie specifics from CalorieKing.com

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-eggs-egg-white-cooked-without-added-fat_f-ZmlkPTk5MTU1.html