Oven roasting a half chicken

Options
sunnysmile
sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
I just bought a half chicken at market and realize that I'm not sure at what temp or how long to bake it. It is not in parts, but a half chicken cut down the center (probably with their bandsaw).

I have seen various temps for whole chicken, but for half chicken what temp and how long? Has anyone tried to roast one that way? Google searches are leading me to whole chicken recipes.

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    about 5 minutes per side to sear in a cast iron or stainless then 20-35 minutes @ 350 in the oven will finish half a chicken if its on the smaller side I would go with 20 minutes in the oven at most.

it then needs to rest either covered or partially covered for about 10 minutes then carve it up

btw if you have a meat therm ( a small tipped one hopefully ) you are looking to get around 155-160 the residual heat will finish it, if you leave it in the oven till its fully 165 it will be overcooked and start to dry out just a tip. :)
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Thanks for the great idea! I ended up putting on aluminum foil on a sheet pan at 375 for 15 minutes a pound. I have never tried to brown in a pan, and I have seen it on cooking shows and it looks easy but how do you do it, do you oil the pan, is it a dry pan, does the food stick? I know these are basic cooking techniques but never did it. I will say the chicken did turn out juicy which I was a bit concerned about as it wasn't a whole chicken, but it was a nice surprise. And your idea of checking temperature was great, did do that!so again, thanks.