Running advice

Options
I'm only just starting out and am treadmilling it for the most part due to crappy cold weather and no winter running gear. I do make sure my incline is at a minimum of 2.5 on my runs but also know that 5k on a treadmill does not equal 5k on the road.
So...how far would be normal for a treadmill run to equal 5k outside.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5k is 5k, it is a measurement.

This.

It's just easier on a treadmill because there's no weather or changing surfaces etc to contend with.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    So...how far would be normal for a treadmill run to equal 5k outside.

Or maybe I am reading too much into what you 'might' mean, and not taking your statement at face value.

Ugh - is it the weekend yet??
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there are differences between running outside and running on a treadmill but I think it's a waste of effort and time to try to quantify the differences and somehow replicate them inside. When weather or other factors cause you to run inside, just focus on having the best treadmill runs you can. 5K is 5K whether you do it inside or outside. It's other factors that are different.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    The distance is the same. A 1% incline should be similar to running outside. Wind resistance etc. But more incline is excellent. I'm a big fan of hill tempos.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I do mean the "feeling". I can do 5k on the treadmill at 2.5 incline easily. Outside, even on relatively even surface, I can barely do a couple hundred meters without trouble. Granted it was cold and windy and my first time ever attempting a 5k outside but still.
    Maybe I'm just over thinking it.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I see them as two different kinds of training, both with benefits.
    Outside there's hills and wind (and sun and rain and hail) etc., but it's also more enjoyable and scenic and I can speed up and slow down as I feel.
    Running on a treadmill eliminates the environmental challenges but adds boredom and speed consistency. I see boredom as an essential part of distance running training, as so much of running a marathon (or a half) is in one's head, one needs to get used to being bored and overcome it. I also find it challenging to keep the consistent pace a treadmill necessitates.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You are probably going too fast to start with outdoors. Go easy until you have gone a mile or so to warm-up. It does feel different on a treadmill than outside but if you can run 5k on a treadmill, you can run a 5k outside (as long as you don't start too fast). I personally don't like the incline on a treadmill because it is only up and not down. I worry about developing a muscle imbalance. I just like to make the pace faster on the treadmill.

I'm just getting into running a little this last year or so and I use the treadmill once a week to do long intervals. I like being able to control the pace. I go indoors or outdoors and do a fartlek session once a week and do a hill run and an easy distance run outside once a week also for 4-runs/week. This is what i did today.

1-mile warmup (on indoor track)
    1/4-mile walk
    5x40-m strides w/40-m walk between efforts
    1/4-mile walk
    1x3/4-mile @ 7:30-min/mile pace (on treadmill)
    1/4-mile walk
    4x1/4-mile @ 7:00-min/mile pace, 1/8-mile walk between efforts (on treadmill)
    1/4-mile walk
    1.2-mile cool down (on indoor track)

4-miles total running and about 1&1/2-miles of walking. Watch said about 800kcal. This is my planned workout for Fridays. I plan on keeping the same distances but increasing the pace for the intervals as time goes on. Slow but it is progress for me!

You don't need fancy gear to run outside. Gloves, spandex or long underwear underneath, sweats on the outside, beany and if real cold beany with a face mask. Can run in some cold weather with that gear.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I started out, my first few outdoor runs felt harder than the TM. At this point, I find the TM much harder, because of the continuous pace. When I am outdoors, my pace varies a lot more, but I am generally a lot faster. Of course, TM's aren't all calibrated correctly, and it is possible that mine is too fast, since i run about 30-60 seconds per mile faster outdoors than I do on the TM.

Don't keep a constant 5%. That is hard on your knees. You want to vary the incline and include some downhill if your TM has a negative incline.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I do mean the "feeling". I can do 5k on the treadmill at 2.5 incline easily. Outside, even on relatively even surface, I can barely do a couple hundred meters without trouble. Granted it was cold and windy and my first time ever attempting a 5k outside but still.
    Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Best way to get better at running outside is to run outside!
  • capaul42
    Options
    Unfortunately it's quite cold here and my low blood pressure can't take the cold, drops even more. There's an indoor track nearby but it's filled with walkers most of the day. And it's a hassle to try to run around people.
    Pacing is a problem for me without the TM I know. I'm an all or nothing kind of runner. Starting to get out of that mindset with the treadmill. And it's not at 5% incline, but 2.5% (hard to tell since the lowest my model goes is 1.5). I'll try out some of the preprogrammed stuff which varies the incline throughout. No negative though :(
  • kjauthier
    kjauthier Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill! Have ran for 10+ yrs For me the dreadmill is only good for speed work. that being said, I find its harder than running outside. From everything Ive read or referenced an incline of 1% is the equivalent of outdoor running.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's quite cold here and my low blood pressure can't take the cold, drops even more. There's an indoor track nearby but it's filled with walkers most of the day. And it's a hassle to try to run around people.
    Pacing is a problem for me without the TM I know. I'm an all or nothing kind of runner. Starting to get out of that mindset with the treadmill. And it's not at 5% incline, but 2.5% (hard to tell since the lowest my model goes is 1.5). I'll try out some of the preprogrammed stuff which varies the incline throughout. No negative though :(

You can take your place on the track too. Stick to the inside part of the track and people will eventually learn to move out of your way.
  • capaul42
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

You can take your place on the track too. Stick to the inside part of the track and people will eventually learn to move out of your way.

Trust me, they won't lol. Walked the track a lot since it opened and even speed walking is difficult. There are 20-30 people at any one time and most are seniors. They don't like getting out of the way.

Unfortunately my best times to go are the busiest for walkers.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Trust me, they won't lol. Walked the track a lot since it opened and even speed walking is difficult. There are 20-30 people at any one time and most are seniors. They don't like getting out of the way.

Unfortunately my best times to go are the busiest for walkers.

Ah, don't go age-shaming just because they are seniors.. I've personally found the "youngsters" much ruder and inflexible, even to the point of hitting me rather than giving a cue they are there. The track does not belong to just one person, fast or slow and cooperation and patience is a must.

So when you run, a simple... "on your right" or "coming on your left" makes people aware you are there. You have to remember that the people in front do not know you are coming up, they don't have rear-view mirrors or eyes on the back of their head. When I hear an audible cue I move accordingly or at least make sure there is plenty of room to the side they want to pass on. It's just like in biking and skiing, the person coming up from behind has the responsibility to make their presence known and give audible cues to warn those in front. Now having said that, I run and even as a Sr. I have difficulty at times with crowded tracks etc and it can be annoying but I find that one or two times around the track with audible cues makes people aware I am there and I am moving faster than they are. And for those people that refuse to move, I actually stop and politely talk with them and explain to them that I am running at a faster pace and that getting "stuck" behind them really interrupts my stride and pace. I tell them that I will be giving them an audible cue when I come up behind them and I would really appreciate it if they would make sure there is room for me to pass. Most of the time being polite and having a civil conversation with them does wonders and I've met some lovely people as a result. There are one or two that are kind of "up yours" attitude and I just ignore them and go my way. You can't make everyone happy. Do I have to sometimes change lanes? Yes. But that's part of running.

Best of luck with your running.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I would suggest varying the incline on the dreadmill a bit. It is not natural to run up hill nonstop. It will put strain on your calves and may end up with a strength imbalance when you finally go outside. Plus, there's no way to replicate going downhill on the dreadmill so be extra cautious.

Good luck.

FWIW - When I'm forced inside I never elevate. Just run to get my miles in.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    treadmill running is way different than running on the ground. my sister can run 3 miles on the treadmill easy, but cant even run a quarter mile on the ground, so don't believe people who tell you there is no difference.

i would recommend layering up, get a hat and gloves, and hit the road if you want to train to run 5k.

i wear 3 t-shirts, a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, a hat, and some good cold weather gloves. in fact, i just got back from a 3.5 mile steady state run in literally 2 to 3 inches of snow (the entire run), and it's 23 degrees here. just make sure you layer up and keep your hands and head warm and you'll be fine.

there is no machine that is going to duplicate the real thing. i worked my way up to being able to run 5 miles on the ground, and when i first started i could only run for about 30 seconds.

Oh, and not all seniors are slow. i'm 60 and can power walk at up to a 4.5 mph pace for up to 10 miles, so you might be moving out of my way on the track...lol
  • capaul42
    Options
    I'm not age shaming. The seniors are very accommodating. The ones who won't move are typically my age and younger (I'm 42). But I even so I don't like asking a senior to move aside for me, even though they would. Some are walking the track for physio and some to recuperate from surgery. They can't move fast or easily.