Poll: pregnancy weight gain? Curious!

Replies

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    First baby- I was young and dumb with a horrible doctor....i ate and ate and ate and no one every told me to slow down. Gained 80 pounds. Developed a terrible thyroid issue after she was born and lost 100 pounds in 6 months
    Second and third babies (twins)- Still young but had a much better team of doctors and a little more awareness of my body...I gained 45 pounds. Most of it was gone within weeks of their birth (weight was a lot of fluid. Not much room to eat with two huge babies in there!). The last 10 were gone by the 6 month mark I think.
  • KailaLaFlor
    KailaLaFlor Posts: 20 Member
    I gained 25 lbs with my first and bounced back pretty quickly and easily.
    I gained 40 lbs with my second and it took longer to bounce back and I could never get that last 10 lbs off.
    Having learned my lesson, I only gained 25 lbs with number 3, and I struggled then too, stuck with 10 lbs extra.

If I had mfp, I'm sure I would have had better results after 2 and 3.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    I gained 20 kg during my pregnancy.
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Back in my days (I am old :'( ), doctors used to keep a tight control on the weight gained during pregnancy. With my first one I gained 20lbs, and he was 8.5lbs (I was 5 feet). I spent 7 days in the hospital due to some complications and when I left I had lost a total of 11lbs. Two months later I got pregnant again (with 4 extra lbs still pending), and I gained 17lbs (baby 6.8lbs). It took me almost 9 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and an additional 3 months to get my "almost" flat belly back.

Exercising at home with Jack LaLane (didn't I say that I am old?), plus taking care of the babies, not too much time left to eat, walking when the weather was good, and house work helped me to get back to a normal weight.

I was always puzzled by the large amount of weight that pregnant women at allow to gain now. It must be a new thing.

Doctor's can't stop pregnant women from gaining weight anymore than they can stop the general population from doing so. Both my mother and I gained a lot of weight during our pregnancies (mine was twenty years ago and hers were in the seventies so it's certainly not a new thing.)

I gained 20 kg when I was pregnant (although I lost 13 kg within weeks. A lot of that would have been the baby, placenta etc. I've never been sure where the rest of it went.) The last 7 I held onto the year I was breast feeding, I lost it gradually over about six months after that.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I lost just over 2 stone in pregnancy and i gave birth at 25 weeks.....
    I then gained 4 stone after i gave birth as i developed hypoglacemia and was made to eat hourly with the nicu and maternity ward keeping tabs on my eating. Still working to get the last of the regain gone, slow going as im breastfeeding
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2018
    I gained 3 pounds.
    After birth I weighed less than before I got pregnant.
    Technically, once that baby is out, you should not weigh more than before you got pregnant.
    Everything above that, you just ate too much
    Breastfeeding helps tremendously with shedding extra kilos.

That is not true. You do know that some fat storage can be very helpful for breastfeeding ? Otherwise as a 130lb fairly lower bodyfat woman I would be left with nothing..and likely severe hormonal issues. I am so happy my body stores fat because I use it.

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I gained 3 pounds.
    Technically, once that baby is out, you should not weigh more than before you got pregnant.
    Everything above that, you just ate too much.

Well done for managing your intake so well through pregnancy, especially when your body is designed to store fat more efficiently whilst pregnant.

However i don't really think any of us needed that reality check with what feels like an implied side of shame for over eating on what is clearly a support thread but hey, maybe it's just my still fresh post partum hormones talking and that wasn't implied at all.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    I gained 3 pounds.
    Everything above that, you just ate too much.

Wrong. Were you under the care of a doctor? Because a good doctor would have been highly worried about your lack of gain.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I don't remember exactly how much I gained (it's been a long time) but it was < 30 each time. It took about 4-5 months to get back in shape each time.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I was a healthy weight and fit before I got pregnant in 2015. During pregnancy, I gained about 70 pounds DESPITE staying active, eating a plant-based vegetarian diet, AND counting my calories (I actually never even added extra calories to my normal maintenance calories because I obviously gained pregnancy weight just fine without it!). My doctor kept an eye on me but wasn't concerned because I was super healthy otherwise.

Once my daughter was born, I lost 35 pounds immediately, and I did have a lot of amniotic fluid, which definitely contributed to that 70 pounds. Most of the rest came off within the first year without me having to do anything special - just a very moderate deficit to keep my milk supply up and a moderate workout schedule 3-4 times a week. In 2017 I put calorie counting on hold entirely to train for a half marathon, so I didn't really lose anything during those months, but my body now is pretty much the same as it was pre-baby (although I was never super lean to begin with), and I would say my fitness is better!

I know how hard it is to watch your body and your fitness level change during pregnancy, especially if you're used to being fit and active. Motherhood does tend to make us a little bit soft for awhile, and those first couple of months postpartum were definitely difficult for me all around! When I started exercising again around 5 weeks postpartum, I felt soooooo weak and out of shape. I thought I would never get back to where I was. But it actually came back a lot faster than I thought it would, and it took less time than when I was heavier and unfit, starting totally at square one. Be patient with yourself, but know that you can totally regain your fitness!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    #1: gained 14 lbs, went from a BMI of 27.5 to 29.8 (was 5 lbs under pre-pregnancy weight by the end of the first week)

#2: gained 23 lbs, went from a BMI of 20.3 to 24.1 (was back down to 22.0 by the end of the second week, and 20.4 by 10 months - these last 10 lbs from 130 to 120 always seem to take forever, lol)

I didn't breastfeed as well, just used MFP and exercise. :)
  • Cyclone2011
    Cyclone2011 Posts: 51 Member
    First pregnancy: Started out at 240 and only gained five pounds (Disclosure: I had HG that nearly hospitalized me)

Second pregnancy: Started out at 240 and gained twenty pounds
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    #1 - gained about 25lbs and was back to pre-pregnancy weight within 5 months
    #2 - gained about 25lbs, lost all of it within 3 months, but then I was pregnant again...
    #3 - gained 50lbs, but lost all by the time baby was about 7 months.

I was overweight before being pregnant with all 3. I was in my 20's for all 3 pregnancies and had no complications with pregnancy and birth. I am still considered overweight based on BMI, but lower in weight now than I was before having kids.
  • tiffanyx7
    tiffanyx7 Posts: 175 Member
    My first pregnancy I gained 4 stone! I have since struggled to lose it, managed to lose 1 stone then I found out I was pregnant with baby number 2! I gained nothing during my second pregnancy, I infact lost 1 further stone as soon as he was born. I ended up gaining again afterwards which is what I'm trying to lose now. My problem is I binge so much in the evenings
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I went to 205lbs (exactly) with each of my pregnancies, which was a gain of 35 to 45 lbs depending on where I started. Well... I sort of gained more because I tend to lose 10-15lbs in the first 3 months, so all of my weight gain was from 4-9 months. I remember with my third I gained 20 lbs in one month and we were worried about diabetes.... and twins. LOL

With each birth I lost 25lbs within the first 2-4 weeks. I was squeezed back into pre pregnancy clothes after 6 weeks. The rest took a long time. It budged very little until I was no longer breastfeeding exclusively.
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    I gained 47lbs with my daughter (went up to 185), and loss all but 15lbs within 6 weeks post-partum. Stayed that weight for a year because I couldn't workout (sore hip) and I was still breastfeeding, and I really honestly didn't have the energy. It wasn't until I was done breastfeeding her at 15.5 months old that I re-started MFP and set it to lose 0.5lbs/week. Getting back into a workout routine is a struggle but it's slowly working, last 10 lbs to go!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't know how much my wife gained with either of my boys, but I do know that her doctor kept a close eye on her weight and everything was right where it should have been.

She lost the baby weight pretty easily and then a couple of years after our 2nd kiddo she got back into fitness and started working with a trainer (former collegiate athlete) and got leaner than I had ever seen her with some really nice muscle definition.