Cheat day calories

Options
I'm planning on having one of these. I've been counting calories for a few weeks now and am on track. I've lost 1kg a week by maintaining a 1600 net calorie intake (I eat back what my step counter says I burn and also gym).

I'm planning on having a cheat day and wondering how you all tackle this. Do you spread out the calories to future days as I sometimes do or do you consider it a bad day and then just forget about it and start the new days fresh?

Replies

• Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just eat the stuff you're calling "cheat" instead of what I eat in my day. If it fits in your calories, you'll be fine. What I do I just cut out something from my breakfast to eat that extra good stuff later on the day lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't do them. I fit whatever I want to eat into my weekly cals, or save it for my maintenance week (every 3 weeks)
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you're considering going crazy for a cheat day, and it won't fit your calories... that's fine too. Like you said, start fresh the next day!
  • keronkinara
    keronkinara Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't do them. I fit whatever I want to eat into my weekly cals, or save it for my maintenance week (every 3 weeks)
    That's what I sort of do as well. So if plan on having a burger or something on a Saturday that's 700 calories I might split it over Sunday and Monday so I have to eat 350 calories less or burn more on those days.
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    If you're considering going crazy for a cheat day, and it won't fit your calories... that's fine too. Like you said, start fresh the next day!
    That's what I'm considering as well as I already have some christmas day extra calories to offset this week.
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    I just eat the stuff you're calling "cheat" instead of what I eat in my day. If it fits in your calories, you'll be fine. What I do I just cut out something from my breakfast to eat that extra good stuff later on the day lol.
    Very disciplined! Thanks for your perspective.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I won't debate the appropriateness of the term "cheat day", which I hate, but when most people use it, I think it's in the context of eating whatever they want in a given day, with or without tracking. I don't think people typically plan to make up the calories from somewhere else. What you seem to be talking about is "normal eating"- either making room in your calories throughout the week for a splurge, or enjoying a rare day, perhaps for a special day or event, where you just relax and enjoy your meals without counting. Either way is fine, but if done too often, a whole "cheat day" can derail a lot of your effort for the week.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I choose a meal of something I am craving or a day if I am out and wanting to just enjoy what's going on without worrying about the calories (like if I am going out to dinner with friends for a special meal or going to an event where food is the center) and take that day off from counting. Eat the things I want without binging, drink a couple glasses of wine and I don't count calories that day. The next day, I am right back to it. That way you enjoy the day and give up on the guilt or remorse associated with those days. I also don't call them cheat days. I just do it and make sure I don't do it too often and hedge a little on the calories before and after those days.

If you are dieting and sit around every day pining for a burger, it is better to eat a burger and be done with it because otherwise you will eat everything else. Plan for it, eat it (and only it) and get on with it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    I also hate the "cheat" terminology, but had occasional days during weight loss when I decided to eat above goal or even above maintenance, and I am still managing my calories quite unevenly day to day in maintenance, because I prefer that.

There's one piece of advice I'd add to what's been said: While losing, whenever it's possible - i e. when the over goal day is a planned thing - I'd encourage creating the extra calorie room ahead of the higher day, rather than after. It can be eating a bit less for a few days ahead to "save up", or moderate extra workouts (stopping short of excess fatigue).

I'm not saying it's wrong to take a high day, then immediately go back to regular deficit the next day, and accept the small delay in reaching goal. That's fine, too. (That's ostly how I handled unplanned over-goal days).

If you have a high day, and try to make it up afterwards, there's some risk of setting yourself up for a deprivation/binge cycle. If the "deprivation" precedes your planned over-goal day, that planned big day stands in for the binge, and you're even up.

The only time I'd eat below deficit goal significantly the day after, is if I was truly no-deluding-myself not hungry because of how much I'd eaten the day before.

JMO, YMMV.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I did cheat days and I like them. They help me to stay on track the other 6 days. I will get back to them in 2018. I do not plan for a cheat day. I eat according to my weight loss goals 6 days a week and on the cheat day, usually Friday, I can eat whatever. I do track it. Usually I would be about 500 calories above the goal. (Which now would put me at maintenance for the day). But I don't limit it. It works better for me than incorporating treats during each day. I've been doing that and it doesn't work as well for me. Even when I was at a normal weight and not dieting or tracking I would have 6days of no junk food or treats and then one that I could eat a piece of cake, buy some candy. I never went crazy. It was something I looked forward to and appreciated and all the more delicious because it was just one day a week.
  • LilFoxtrot
    LilFoxtrot Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just consider cheat days 'free days', partly because I hate the concept of 'cheating' with food (food doesn't have morals or something) and mostly because I am freeing myself of rigid calorie constraints. Within reason.

Basically if I want something-a big greasy burger for example-I have it. But I don't gorge myself silly. So I just let that day be it's own thing and go back to normal the next day.