Work out vs sleep vs family time

Options
Hi all! I work 40 hrs a week and my husband also has a full time job. I work Monday through Friday and he works Friday, Saturday and Sunday (13 hrs shifts). We also have a 3 year old. My work day starts at 7 am. I get up at 4:45 and get to the gym at 5:45ish. I have to be in the locker room by 6:30 to be at work at 7. The only time the husband and I get to spend time together with out our child is between 9pm (3 year old bedtime, we've tried to make it earlier and it does not work, this is his bed time till he starts going to school full time) and 10 pm. I usually fall asleep around 10:30. That gives me roughly 6 hrs of sleep a night. I hate it. In a perfect world I would be getting 8 to 9 hrs a night but with a child and a full time job that's obviously not a possibility.

The reason why i'm posting is because I'm really wanting to spend at least 1 hr a day working out, with a couple days a week more than that. I can not get to the gym any earlier in the morning. When I get home from work my child and husband want my attention. My husband never wants to go out for walks with us, and a lot of time in the summer it's too hot. I know theres lots of excuses but I'm trying my hardest to balance all of this! For those that have a similar schedule, do you have any tips? What do you do to motivate yourself to put an extra 30 minutes in after work? I have a jogging stroller and I use it on the weekends if I don't go to the gym. I probably know some answers but I would love some feedback from others in this same situation and maybe get some motivation!!

Also, how much sleep do you all get? I feel like since I've started this new job 9 months ago and have been getting less sleep that my face has already started aging more, lol.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need the extra exercise? My husband and I both workout in the mornings (he at the gym, me at home). The only extra I do is the occasional longer run on a Saturday while he's home with the kids. My workouts are rarely over an hour, maybe 1% of the time. If you feel you need more, perhaps try to up the intensity of what you do in the mornings.

That aside, I will admit my two kids (12 & 4), watch a lot of TV on weeknights while we unwind. We basically just hang out, everyone doing their own thing after dinner. This may be TV, it may be video games for my husband, reading books to the LO, etc. LO goes to bed around 8:30 or 9, husband and I hang out, Big Kid usually does her own thing or will watch a food show with us. I'm often in bed by 9, never later than 10, although sometimes we'll stay up later watching TV together or whatever. I get up at 4:30 most days. Also, find a babysitter you trust in order to spend more time with your husband without your child. Otherwise, if you really want that extra 30 minutes, tell your husband to suck it up, watch the kid and do something. Or, leave your husband at home and go for walks with your child.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'll sleep when I'm dead!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    By the time I get to the gym and get going I usually only get about 30 minutes of solid work outs. I would prefer to run for 30 minutes (or at least 3 miles which takes around 26/28 minutes on the treadmill) and then to strength training. This morning I ran one mile (10 minute total with a 2 minute cool down) and did strength/abs for 20 minutes. I'm really focused on losing my muffin top and this just isn't cutting it, lol. I think I am just going to have to put in the effort in the afternoon on the days I get off early. I'm trying to get to my goal without getting burnt out I guess, lol.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?? If you are doing cardio then maybe try some high intensity interval training. You won't want to do any more than 30mins of this (I promise!!) and you will burn at least as many calories as an hour of traditional cardio (or at least I certainly do)

If you are happy to lift then this will give you long term benefits from a fat burning point of view and, again, doesn't have to take very long.

I'm sure you've heard the saying 'don't work hard, work smart' well this is the same kind of thing, instead of trying to find more time to work-out just fit more work-out into the time you have!!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?? If you are doing cardio then maybe try some high intensity interval training. You won't want to do any more than 30mins of this (I promise!!) and you will burn at least as many calories as an hour of traditional cardio (or at least I certainly do)

If you are happy to lift then this will give you long term benefits from a fat burning point of view and, again, doesn't have to take very long.

I'm sure you've heard the saying 'don't work hard, work smart' well this is the same kind of thing, instead of trying to find more time to work-out just fit more work-out into the time you have!!

I've been doing 40 minutes in a cycling class twice a week. The other days I run and do strength with focus on my abs, I've been doing intervals on the tredmill with an incline/no incline. I guess my ideal is being able to go for a 4 mile run plus doing strength training. I think you're right, I need to adjust. I just really enjoy going for longer runs vs shorter intense cardio. I need to set a new plan in place!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had a similar schedule and I would just ride my bike to work instead of spending time at the gym. It was just under 10 miles each way and my commute ended up being only about 10 minutes longer than if I had sat in traffic every day. So I managed to get 90 minutes of exercise every day with only a total time cost of 20 minutes in my schedule.

I wasn't getting much sleep either (up at 4:00am to make the days meals) as I was working 50-60 hours a week. As soon as I was able to reach some financial goals, I quit my job. I just didn't think the time sacrifice was worth it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,004 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could work out at home? It might require some investment in equipment (depending on what you want to do) but it would save you some drive time.

I work a very similar schedule, and if I had to go to the gym I just wouldn't. Lifting & working out at home works out beautifully for me.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'll sleep when I'm dead!

This!!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Any chance you could work out at home? It might require some investment in equipment (depending on what you want to do) but it would save you some drive time.

I work a very similar schedule, and if I had to go to the gym I just wouldn't. Lifting & working out at home works out beautifully for me.

My gym is at work and my commute is shortened (way less traffic) by going to the gym first so it really is the ideal for me! Also, I'm very loud in the morning and run the chance of waking my 3 year old up if I work out at home, lol. I like to do it on the weekends after taking out the jogging stroller first though!!! I just have 5 lb weights and try and follow the "boot camp" work outs that I used to do. I've somewhat hit a platuea and am more focused on toning my abs (my only problem area) than I am on loosing weight. Though 5 more lbs off would be ideal :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing your strength based on time & your abs, do a shorter, more intense workout that focuses on larger muscle groups. You can accomplish that in 20-30 minutes and be done.
    Also if you are down to the last 5 lbs your eating is going to be critical and you'll likely need to carry just a slight deficit.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness - just kidding about sleeping when you are dead - I suggest you lift heavy on M-W-F and do cardio on T-TH-S. That leaves you a complete day of rest and gets 5 of your workouts done in the early am when it doesn't interfere with family life.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Instead of focusing your strength based on time & your abs, do a shorter, more intense workout that focuses on larger muscle groups. You can accomplish that in 20-30 minutes and be done.
    Also if you are down to the last 5 lbs your eating is going to be critical and you'll likely need to carry just a slight deficit.

Yes, I've changed my eating habits the past two weeks and have lost about 2-3 lbs (depending on water weight) and have noticed a big difference in my stomach. I'm trying to focus more now that I'm seeing a change. I injured my elbow about 3 weeks ago and that is why I haven't been doing much other than running and abs lately. It's feeling a lot better and I think on Monday I'm really going to start getting more intense.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Thanks you all for your replies! It's easy to get stuck in a routine, isn't it?! I'm going to really try and get more intense in a shorter time and just try and add longer runs when I'm able to on top of a good routine.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    We are up at 4:40am and not usually home until 8 or 9pm almost every day. Two active careers and two VERY active boys, and two parents that still desire to be active as well. Makes for sacrifices and being extremely dynamic. The best thing I can recommend is organization to krrp everything moving along.

As far as workouts, I switch from standard cardio and gym time to HIIT workouts, cutting my time from hours to under an hour. I spend abotu 35 minutes on lower body on the track and 20 minutes inside the gym. Have been able to maintain (and in some areas better) my results I was getting with hours of cardio and 45 minutes at the gym. The caveat is you have to be ready to really increase the intensity and cut resting durations.

Worth checking out to see if it might work for you.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

This probably isn't the suggestion you want to hear, but it worked for our family.
    We completely re-evaluated why we work full time outside the home and decided to stop doing so as much as possible.

We do still work, but differently. And we live a different lifestyle than we used to (and a much different lifestyle than most people would be comfortable living in America.)

Our basic question is always "Why am I working away from my family?" The answer is generally "To pay for XYZ." So we evaluated 1) how much do I really need or want XYZ, and 2) Can I make/barter XYZ instead of purchasing it?

We gave up a lot of luxury because we decided that those luxuries are not as fulfilling as time with family.

I use a bicycle about 80% of the time now instead of a car. Got rid of one vehicle entirely. We buy used instead of new. Reduce, reduce, then reuse, reuse, reuse, and then recycle. Grow as much of our own food as we can. Got rid of central A/C. Heat and cool rooms individually now. Downgraded internet, cable, and phone service. Got rid of 1 of the cellphones on our plan. Etc. etc.
    In addition, our bills have always been a bit lower than most Americans because we simply don't do things like salons, party decorations, art, make-up, jewelry, annual doctor visits, sports, and such.

By making lifestyle changes we went from 2 people working full time outside the home (and even overtime), to 1 person working flex time outside the home and 1 person working less than part time from home.

We think it is totally worth it. Just with gardening and riding bikes we get exercise and time together without having to chisel those things into the day. An extra workout or some extra play time together is no problem to add in because our lives circle around family now instead of work schedules.

I have to admit it was a little bit difficult transitioning from being corporate/luxury minded to being home/necessity minded. This type of financial overhaul definitely isn't for everyone (and probably not for most Americans) but it works great for us physically, emotionally and spiritually.

We all get 24 hours to use as we see fit and this is just our experience. Thought I'd offer it. :flowerforyou:
    Good luck finding the time you need in each day.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options

My gym is at work and my commute is shortened (way less traffic) by going to the gym first so it really is the ideal for me! Also, I'm very loud in the morning and run the chance of waking my 3 year old up if I work out at home, lol. I like to do it on the weekends after taking out the jogging stroller first though!!! I just have 5 lb weights and try and follow the "boot camp" work outs that I used to do. I've somewhat hit a platuea and am more focused on toning my abs (my only problem area) than I am on loosing weight. Though 5 more lbs off would be ideal :smile:

When you say abs are your problem area, do you mean this is where you are still holding on to excess weight or that you are already lean and happy with your definition everywhere other than your abs???

I ask this only because a lot of people do ab work-outs assuming that this will get rid of their bit of tummy flab and give them nice defined abs.....unfortunately this is not true. Ab workouts will improve your muscle 'tone' (hate that word but you know what I mean) but you will not be able to see this all the time that area has fat over it.

You cannot target fat loss so the only way to reduce the tummy fat is to reduce fat everywhere.

In most cases (unless you are that already lean and down to body sculpting person) focussing on abs only is probably not hugely efficient and a full body strength workout for the same time period of time is likely to do more good, especially if your time is short!!!

This is only my opinion of course!!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

When you say abs are your problem area, do you mean this is where you are still holding on to excess weight or that you are already lean and happy with your definition everywhere other than your abs???

I ask this only because a lot of people do ab work-outs assuming that this will get rid of their bit of tummy flab and give them nice defined abs.....unfortunately this is not true. Ab workouts will improve your muscle 'tone' (hate that word but you know what I mean) but you will not be able to see this all the time that area has fat over it.

You cannot target fat loss so the only way to reduce the tummy fat is to reduce fat everywhere.

In most cases (unless you are that already lean and down to body sculpting person) focussing on abs only is probably not hugely efficient and a full body strength workout for the same time period of time is likely to do more good, especially if your time is short!!!

This is only my opinion of course!!

Right now I'm about 134lbs and 5'5". I had a c-section almost 4 years ago and have loose skin and a little bit of flab on my stomach and small love handles. I went down from 145 post pregnancy to 130 and had nice (yet minimal) ab definition at that point. I've found it very hard to maintain 130 lbs though. Right now I'm trying to get back to 130, maybe even a few lbs under and at the same time focus on toning my abs. The last two weeks I've noticed a big difference since eating smarter/less and focusing on ab work outs and am trying to continue with those results!! ALso, like I mentioned a bit ago, I injured my elbow about 3 weeks ago so I haven't been doing any upper body at all and have ran more miles (intervaling with an incline on the tredmill) and just done abs.

But yes, I am pretty lean and happy with every other aspect of my body, other than my small, but noticeable muffin top! I was pretty bloated one day last month and a patient asked me if I was pregnant :( I've been trying to change my eating habits to prevent bloating and drinking more water (although I already drink a good amount of water).

edit: I know my issues with maintaining my goal weight of 130 is all due to my eating habits but it's hard since I just love food so much and we constantly get free food, doughnuts, and cookies at work every week! I can only resist for so long!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think this is something all of us parents worry about. My husband & I go to the gym together at 4:00 a.m. while the children sleep (We have a 17 year old that is there for them if they wake) When we get home, we get the kids up & out the door for work & school (day camp at the moment). I get home around 5:30 in the evening & get only about two hours until it’s bedtime. We all sleep early, hubs & I try to be in bed NO LATER than 9:00

I do feel like I’m missing time with them but I know I have the weekends & my husband & I are bettering ourselves for the greater good & will be around longer for them & more active!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I think this is something all of us parents worry about. My husband & I go to the gym together at 4:00 a.m. while the children sleep (We have a 17 year old that is there for them if they wake) When we get home, we get the kids up & out the door for work & school (day camp at the moment). I get home around 5:30 in the evening & get only about two hours until it’s bedtime. We all sleep early, hubs & I try to be in bed NO LATER than 9:00

I do feel like I’m missing time with them but I know I have the weekends & my husband & I are bettering ourselves for the greater good & will be around longer for them & more active!

I miss my 9pm bedtime :( My husband stays up till 2 am most nights, lol. I couldn't even do that during my college party days but once or twice a week!