Set Point Theory

Options
Do you believe in the Set Point Theory. Has anyone fought their set point by losing a substantial amount of weight and maintained that loss for a substantial amount of time? I weigh the same amount I did 25 years ago in high school which is 25lbs. too much according to the charts. I do look thinner than I did in high school because I am a couple of inches taller. After high school and through college I gained 10lbs, lost 45lbs due to exercise obsession and extreme dieting, and gained 3olbs to put me 5 lbs less than I weigh this moment on my wedding day at age 24. After marriage I gained 30lbs within 3 years (before kids). I lost 10 bs and became pregnant and gained 30lbs. I breastfed and lost the complete 30 lbs within 4 months after birth. I then became pregnant 3 years later, gained 35lbs, lost all of it again very quickly. I then became obsessed with running. I lost 10 lbs which put me at exactly 5 lbs less than I weigh at this moment although I was more muscle and a couple of sizes smaller. I ran a lot for 3 or 4 years (averaging 25 miles per week) and stopped for whatever reasons. That was 3 years ago. I have since yo-yoed within the same 5 or 10 lbs which like I said it seems the scale is always at this number even though I haven't been exercising at all!!! I have several nutritional goals going into 2018. I plan to eat plant based 6 days out of the week, I have recently started drinking apple cider vinegar every morning, and I would like to start running again. I hope the combination of these 3 things will help me fight my set point!

Replies

• Tracy430
    Tracy430 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are probably right. It I'd disappointing because I just feel it is so difficult to maintain a weight loss but it is comforting because I don't really gain much either. I really need to lose 25. I'd like to weigh what the chart says I should weigh.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Set point is a result of unconscious behaviour and habits around food and movement, it is easily over written by conscious accurate tracking of food and exercise, and you don't want to slavishly follow bmi, figure out where you feel comfortable at. Considering you don't have a large amount to lose, have a look at the thread " relatively light people trying to get leaner" for useful advice
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I would force feed myself trying to gain weight. I could not gain. Seemed like I had one then. If I have one now, it is infinity I think. I have to watch it or I will gain.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald seems to think there is a body fat set point, and recommends diet breaks to break through it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    No, I don't believe in set point theory (anymore). It doesn't make sense. If that were the case then no one could ever starve to death and many people do around the world. Also, what about overeating? If we have a set point, why would anybody be overweight? The body would just bounce back to its "set point".

I have met some people, men, in particular, like blambo61, who can eat and eat and eat and never gain weight. None of these I've met is over 35 though. Maybe they just have really fast metabolisms?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    When I was young, I would force feed myself trying to gain weight. I could not gain. Seemed like I had one then. If I have one now, it is infinity I think. I have to watch it or I will gain.

I doubt it. You were growing and were consuming, overall, approximately maintenance calories to exist, be active, and grow, even if you felt like you were "force feeding" yourself. Also, I am assuming you DID gain weight. You didn't weigh, say, 55 lbs. at age 6, age 10, and age 14. Right? :)

Unless by "young" you mean full grown but in your 20s or whatever...in which case, again, you were simply consuming about the same calories you expended, at that thin weight. Which just means without the "force feedings" you just would have been even thinner. Overall, over time you were eating at maintenance for the weight you were...a then-thin weight.