How much fat when it's good fats

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've always thought fat is bad especially for weight loss, now I know it's all about the calories but my question is about how much fat can I eat or should I eat especially when it's from good fats. If you check out my diary I try to get most of my fat from good fats like nuts, avocado etc but worry about eating too much for my health. Some advice about how much fat I'm eating and from what foods would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I aim for a minimum of .3-.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight for general health (unless you have specific reasons to keep it lower). I don't put an upper limit on my fat intake, personally, except what my body can handle without my gallbladder now that it's been removed. In a healthy person, that shouldn't be a concern.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Fat intake is really a preference. There's a minimum amount you should eat for health and it looks like you're getting it. That's in the range of .35 - .45 grams per pound of ideal body weight (I've seen lower, but I wouldn't recommend it).

The other recommendation to have an optimal intake during dieting is protein. It's recommended that dieters eat more protein than the average sedentary person - .6 to .8 grams per pound of ideal body weight.

After meeting these minimums, you can split your calories any way you choose in order to provide satiety and dietary satisfaction.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've been eating around 50g-60g of fat so I think I'm on the right track. My protein is in the 70s so good with that too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you are still using the mfp default values for your gender, age, weight, and weight loss goal, the number in the fat column is the target to try reaching. The only fat to really avoid is trans fat. Saturated fats are, in some ways, good for you and in other ways an excess can be harmful, so figure how you'll limit saturated. The polyuns and monouns are good all the time for everyone and the only thing you have to worry about is the total grams you want.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There is no upper limit for fat, fat is essential, and there is no good fat/bad fat dilemma - man made trans fat is harmful, but is being phased out. Just don't eat too many calories, and get enough protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, fiber and water. Variety is just as important as balance, and it tends to sort itself out when one stops obsessing and starts enjoying. A normal, appealing diet should provide you with what you need without excess of anything.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I get hypoglycemic and I've found that having some saturated fat sources (like bacon and eggs) helps me keep my sugars stable. I like to eat unsaturated sources like olive oil, avocados, etc because I like them
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1 TB of healthy fat for every 50 pounds of body weight is apparently a good target to go for. I plan on using coconut oil/flax and UDO's oil.