want to begin strength training.

Hello everyone. I am looking for any advice or direction on the best way to go about a strength training program. I am down 135 pounds and do cardio but I need to build muscle.

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    51gBfEEn90L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    If you dont have prior history of injuries, start with basic body weight exercises. Lots of videos on youtube...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    For beginning a strength program I'm a big fan of Stronglifts 5x5. It's simple (5 compound lifts broken down into two workouts that you alternate, each consisting of 5 sets of 5 reps of 3 exercises), progressive, and structured.

It's purely strength rather than what might be considered body building.

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I started with resistance tubes. I pretty much walked into a fitness store and asked for advice. They suggested the tubes or dumbbells. And I went with the tubes because the store was about 40 minutes on foot from my home and I had doubts about walking home with what likely would have been 16lbs of weights to start with (a pair of 3s and a pair of 5s).

I found a video on YouTube and got started.

After a while, I picked up Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano and started with dumbbells. I also invested in a cardio step, stability ball, mat, and ankle weights. The book also includes warmups that incorporate resistance bands and a 7" rubber ball. I had a Nerf soccer ball and didn't care that it was 8.5", so I've been using that.

Eventually, I might start lifting heavy, but at present I don't belong to a gym and don't have a reliable spotter, so I'm very hesitant to try it at home.

After about 8 months, I've definitely seen improvement in my arms and legs. And a nurse complimented me on my trunk muscles when I was able to sit up unaided after bladder surgery (in the recovery unit).