Morning Exercise & Consistency Tips

Options
Good Morning! Here we are on the New Year’s Eve and I’m asking for fitness advice... I feel like one of those new year new you people who quit 3 days into the new year lol

In all honesty I’ve had a good bit of weight loss success, but I haven’t really got into a groove anytime along the way. My wife and I had our first baby back in September and I’ve found it very hard to exercise after work at the gym, so I’ve started exercising in the morning before work. I get up at 3:30 (I usually leave around 5, and unfortunately that’s when the gym opens) and I try to do body weight exercises in my basement for 20-30 minutes. I’ve found lately I wake up with a pounding headache and feel quite sluggish, so much so that I can’t really get into a good exercise and I usually quit after a couple minutes because of the headache getting worse. Any suggestions on how to establish work out habits and also any lifestyle choices I can make to feel good in the AM would be awesome.

Replies

• Travelswithabaya
    Travelswithabaya Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Um - how much sleep are you getting? Most new parents are sleep deprived enough without trying to get up at 3.30 - and how much time do you need to get ready for work?
  • Kinggoliath
    Kinggoliath Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually get to sleep around 7:30-8. I don’t sleep as well as I used to but I’m still sleeping around 8 hours a night. My wife exclusively breast feeds so I can’t easily help her at night, most nights she lets me sleep. It takes me about half an hour to get everything together and make my breakfast. I figured it takes me about 45 min to exercise for 20-30 minutes since I need to towel off and change afterward. I wish I didn’t have to get up so early but I start at 6 and my drive is usually around an hour. At least I beat the traffic in the AM!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You mentioned waking up with a pounding heading, first make sure your blood pressure is not high. That's one of the signs of hypertension for some people. It could also be lack of adequate rest.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, oh...Get an app (Habit Bull or something) or even use a calender to mark successful visits to the gym. I set a goal of walking outdoors 5 out of 7 days for a 100 day streak with a reward in mind. (Keep in in mind it is currently -45 celcius right now so it's easy to give up)

If you fail, you start right back at zero. It kept me going out walking when I did not necessarily feel like going. Best of luck.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    You mentioned waking up with a pounding heading, first make sure your blood pressure is not high. That's one of the signs of hypertension for some people. It could also be lack of adequate rest.

The above could be correct or you may need to drink more water. Headaches are often a sign of dehydration. Most walk in clinics will check your BP without charging you for a visit. If you do this the same day of the week and it's consistently high, see your doctor. And drink an extra glass of water right before bed and one when you get up before you exercise.

Good luck!
  • Slay_each_day
    Slay_each_day Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that simply walking a good calorie burn. My husband lost 60 pounds just walking. 3:30 in the morning is super early. Can you workout at lunch time? i walk on my lunch break for about 30 minutes, then eat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Dehydration is the first thing that popped to mind, especially this time of year and it being so dry indoors. Try slugging a big glass of water the minute you wake up.

I also find that a quick outdoor walk, even 15 minutes, clears the cobwebs.

Last, if it might be Post nasal drip, congestion, etc— Try Zyrtec. It’s great stuff.
  • Kinggoliath
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will try taking a walk in the morning and I already drink plenty of water, including before and after waking up. As far as walking as a primary form of exercise, I really feel like HIIT and weight lifting get my metabolism going best, where as lower intensity exercises like walking don’t really do it for me. I walk all day at work (hvac technician) and that hasn’t kept me thin haha
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am headache prone too. Waking up in pain may be related to sleep position or pillows. If neck or shoulder issues are a cause, starting your workout with a couple minutes of yoga or stretching that targets the tight stuff may help.

• 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was thinking it could be an old flat, pillow, or old mattress?

I find I get a lot of headaches when my neck is out of wack, I go visit a chiropractor, a few snaps and I'm good to go, it usually holds me for 2-3 months.

Many Walmart stores have those Blood Pressure machines you can use yourself.
  • Kinggoliath
    Options
    Oddly enough, I only started having headaches for the past couple weeks. Before that it was quite rare.
  • Kinggoliath
    Options
    Also, my mattress is brand new. I use a memory foam pillow. As far as soreness goes I have really woken up sore every day for the past 3-4 years. I have a very physical job, unfortunately.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had to switch from my new memory foam pillow back to a traditional one because of headaches and neck stiffness.
  • Kinggoliath
    Options
    I had to switch from my new memory foam pillow back to a traditional one because of headaches and neck stiffness.

Interesting... I’ll have to give that a try too.