What's going on with the SCALE! HELP

Options
I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and I was 329. I started at 340 6 days or maybe 7 days ago. This morning I am 330.5. I ate within my calorie range yesterday. I researched that the body fluctuates. But would it fluctuates during the mornings?
I feel myself waist line shrink as some of my clothing are loosening up on me.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes the body weight fluctuates. Time of day is irrelevant. If you are also weighing your food, which does not fluctuate, chances are you are eating at a deficit. The results will show up on the scale eventually.
  • TeachergirlCeleste
    Options
    It's terrible! I guess I should weigh in once a month instead of once a week
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I weigh myself daily to see the fluctuations. But I only record my lowest weight for the month. My weight can fluctuated up to 3 pounds within a week and it can go as high as 5 pounds during ovulation or TOM. I'm not bothered by it since it comes down and it will eventually stay lower. If you prefer not to check daily, I recommend checking after TOM every month. I'm at my lowest after TOM.

More info on weight fluctuations
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/6dgj4n/weight_fluctuations_explained/
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations just suck! I eat at a very big deficit (over 1000 Cal per day) and no way that I can gain weight or maintain.... Yet for 8 days this month there I was stuck at 187, when math says I should have lost 3+ pounds. The scale finally started to move again but dang it just kills you when you are busting your rear off and not seeing results.

Thankfully it has only happened twice over this year for me.
    It is just soul crushing, but stay the course. It will eventually get going again.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuations are normal.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    You might benefit by using a weight trending app like Happy Scale (iOS) or Libra (Android). You log daily but it graphs the trends for you so you can see an overall trend and not worry when the scale goes up.

Seconded. I would’ve been so frustrated this month because a) I don’t have a good memory for where I was 30 days from now and b) I’m horrible at averaging my rate of loss mentally.

• sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because it helps me keep my daily fluctuations in perspective. Since I started MFP, my Libra chart shows a wave pattern every 8-10 days; i.e. a big loss followed by gradual increases then another big loss, with an overall downward trend line of about a pound a week. I can find no relationship to calories, exercise, sodium, or water during the prior few days; it's just the way my body works.

When I recorded my weight weekly, I didn't know my pattern and would be discouraged if the weekly weigh-in occurred during an up-swing. I'd stress out for 6 days dreading the 7th day judgement. My response to an increase? *kitten* this, I'm having a supersize Wendy's #8. Unfortunately my response to a loss was "I deserve a supersize Wendy's #8."

Also, when viewing your MFP weight chart as a beginner, use a timeframe longer than your streak days. Although MFP doesn't have a trend line, seeing your progress compared to that flatline starting point can be motivating.

Finding out if you're a daily weigh person or a weekly person or a monthly person is part of the weight loss journey.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The question is....did you eat enough extra to gain 1.5lbs? An extra 5250 calories in that timeframe where the scale went up. If not, it's just your body. Could be food or water weight. Or hormonal. Keep trudging. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • masinmike2001
    masinmike2001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but I don't think daily fluctuations are all that important. Maybe too much salt, hormones, who knows....The important thing is the longer term trends. Just keep your head up, you are not alone!!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Totally normal.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You have lost 10 pounds in 6 or 7 days. Seems like good progress even though some of that weight is water weight, which does fluctuate on a daily basis depending on many factors. Keep up what you are doing and think in the long term, not just today. If you are feeling your waistline shrink, it is happening even though the scale may not indicate it.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Morning weights will fluctuate based on where in your cycle you are, what you are, exercises etc. FWIW. When I first start working out I will usually gain weight weeks 2-3, and then weeks 4-5 I drop a bit.