What's been your biggest health accomplishment so far?

Options
Let's start the year on a positive note. Share your biggest health related accomplishment so far? It may SEEM small, but if it positively affects your health, it's not. For me, I gave up ALL carbonated beverages. No soda, beer, or even carbonated water. It's made a huge impact.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To learn how to spot and ignore woo.
  • DulcimerRick
    DulcimerRick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    OK.... What is woo?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    To start eating the amount of calories my body needs.

I went from not being able to get off the couch almost to running for hours without stopping. It literally gave me my life.

There is no way I'd go without zero sugar soda and fizzy water.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Woo is broscience, or nutritional advice taken to the extreme, and thus, ironically, making healthy eating and living impossible, or just very difficult. I used to try to limit fat, sugar and salt as much as possible, and increase amounts of vegetables and whole grains as much as possible, and go to the gym, and ended up with a diet and exercise routine I couldn't stick to, and resorted to eating nothing but ice cream and chips, while sitting on the couch.

I have manged to balance it out now. I eat a varied and balanced diet where nothing's off limit, I walk and play and dance.

I went from yoyoing to stable, normal, healthy weight, and living like this is almost effortless.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I pinched my sciatic 1 year ago. While getting that diagnosed, I was told I have 2 bulging disks and needed cortisone shots to relieve the pain. I had the shots in March and have been mostly a couch potato since. During this time. I only gained 3 pounds and I have just started to be able to walk around the grocery stores. I am hoping to get back to exercising again. I have lost 100 lbs and have another 40-50 to go.
  • DulcimerRick
    DulcimerRick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard the term woo before... But I see that behavior all the time! Thanks!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in September. Early stages, non-invasive, they think they got all the lesions out and I'm getting immunotherapy to help guard against its return. But a year prior to that, I was BMI 45, Obesity-class III and surgery probably would have carried substantially greater risks. (Everything from having to do it under local instead of general anesthetic to possibly having the date pushed off until I lost weight, to more difficulty in getting the lesions out with more body fat pressing down on my organs). Instead, everything went well; they didn't even keep me overnight like they'd planned, I was able to sit up unaided in recovery—the nurse commented that I had to have good trunk muscles, and I felt almost 100% back to my old self as soon as the catheter came out five days later.
  • LilFoxtrot
    LilFoxtrot Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop for the entire year. I used to easily go through an entire 12 pack in two days, maybe three if I 'stretched it'. But now I order water the same way I used to guzzle sodas. If I want something flavored I have tea. I tried a sip of my fiance's Coke the other day and it tasted disgusting to me-it was heavy and syrupy and tasted flat even though it was fresh.

I never thought there'd come a day I didn't drink pop so I am really proud of myself.