New Years Resolutions?

Options
I dont make New Years resolutions. I've always found them over-hopeful and setting yourself up for failure and usually made in some sort of depressed alcohol clouded bout of calendar induced guilt (whether diet/fitness or anything else). If you want to make a change, it doesnt matter when you do it - Jan 1 or Jul 9. Just do it.

I am blessed. I have a nice life, a comfortable life, which is more than I could say in most years past. I dont worry about much, and .... life is good. Good job, even better fiance, wonderful home (even with the renovations lol), good kids, and lots of dogs to love and get irritated at ;)

The only thing I think im going to consciously make an effort on doing better on, is logging my foods. Being so close to my goal, I've slacked. I havent gained, and have continued to lose (though slowly, but at this point, thats to be expected anyways), but I really should be better at it, as I was for many years.

So ... what say you?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've made one, or I should say I will be making one.

To contact my parents more, I suck at ringing them.
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My focus is going to be getting better in areas of my life. I am going to define what it looks like for me to be a better husband, father, family member etc. What it would look like to get better in the area of my health and fitness. Set a few experience targets: 15K Trail Run, Hike Mt. St. Helens, etc.

In order to get better, going to be working on instilling habits and routines to support my personal growth.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't really do resolutions, but often set actual goals. Besides some financial goals, as usual, my husband and I made some plans to do some backpacking trips, snowshoe backpacking trips, and tough mudders,
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think mine for 2017 was to do more cartwheels, which I definitely succeeded in doing more cartwheels in 2017 than I did in 2016. This year it’s to learn the choreography to one 90s boyband hit single every week. I’m going to have so many useful talents accumulated eventually.

I wonder how many cartwheels you did in 2017? Maybe that needs to be a goal for me! I haven't done a cartwheel in 40 years I bet. I mean it wouldn't be hard to do more in 2018 than I did in 2017!

I am also wondering how you go about learning the choreography for a boyband single? Do you just copy what's happening on youtube? Are you even serious about that goal?

I was going to make a resolution to start memorizing a poem or a passage each month - a mental workout so to speak, but now I'm thinking it would definitely be more exciting to learn some dance choreography?!?!?!?

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I’m going to watch the music video and memorize from there. As long as nothing’s changed in the past 20 years, I have full faith in my ability to mimic the greats.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ok New Years resolution update: I have discovered choreographers on YouTube who just show you dances to everything. I just completed a Britney and a BSB hit. 1999 better watch its back, ya’ll.

youd have loved the reception at my brothers wedding last week. it was a 90s dance party. it was *kitten* AWESOME lolololol
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Ok New Years resolution update: I have discovered choreographers on YouTube who just show you dances to everything. I just completed a Britney and a BSB hit. 1999 better watch its back, ya’ll.

Are you taking requests? Nsync's "Tearin' Up My Heart".

And videos, or it didn't happen. :D
  • joyhoffman9340
    joyhoffman9340 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started making changes before the New Year just so it’s not a resolution but a revolution. Lol. I want to have healthier eating habits going forward and exercise on a regular basis. I have been getting two to three work outs a week in. I want to bump it up to five or six by the end of the year. I also want to try Tai Chi this year.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't do resolutions. Resolutions seem made to fail.

I have some goals. I love having goals. Call me pedantic, but at least I achieve my goals that way.

Run a 50 km run. (Last year my goal was to run my first marathon, which I did.)
    Complete an online photography course I started on December 11. Been doing a lecture a day so far.

And I now want to do more cartwheels. :smile:
  • Slay_each_day
    Slay_each_day Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I resolve to do is track my food 100%. I don't care if I eat 1500 or 5000 calories, if I have to guestimate or what. I want to make just this one commitment to myself. I honestly don't think it's something that I can fail at. It doesn't matter if I'm tracking on my phone, or on a piece of paper. I've got health complications and a reason to live, and I'm out of Mondays.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    I don't make resolutions ... I make goals.

They are listed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/goals-for-2018-944264

They are similar to last year's goals only because I did quite well with last year's goals and would like to do it again! :) And do slightly more if I can.