Weight Loss Tips for Newbies and NY Resolutioners

Why doesn’t everyone just lose weight, get ripped, and stop feeling sorry for yourself?

It’s an interesting question. It’s almost the New Year, and new people are signing up and committing. Experience tells me that the majority of these people will be gone by March.

So, why is that?

The idea of losing the weight sounds awesome. But, the weight loss comes at a price. The price is a lifestyle change. It’s changing deep rooted habits. You can no longer sit on the couch and eat a whole bag of potato chips and wash it down with a 6-pack of beer. You can no longer just mindlessly eat. You have to think about everything you do and make changes. The reality of those changes are too much for many people. It’s the reason I will never have 6-pack abs. I just don’t want them bad enough to have to do what it takes to have them. I like to eat. I will always be a little round in the belly because of it. But, I am fine with that. As long as I am strong and healthy, it doesn’t matter.

The dedication to losing the weight comes with a price. You might have to completely revamp your entire life. For instance, I used to go out a lot. I was very social and when I decided to change that, it caused a lot of static between me and my friends and family. I was no longer available to go eat nachos and drink 12 beers on a Saturday. I didn’t want to do that. The social pressure was incredible though and making the change wasn’t easy. I tried everything. I would go, but just drink water and not eat. But, then, that wasn’t fun because they would keep pushing food and drinks and it just gets tiresome.

In the end, I had to ditch those friends and find new ones. That’s not an easy process to go through. And not everyone has the heart to do that, especially if you have deep roots with those friends. I did have a couple of people hang in there with me, but ultimately, we just stopped hanging out because they continued their lifestyle, and I overhauled mine. And, the dynamic changes: I wanted to go hiking, or running, or biking, and they wanted to go drinking and eating. Some people can make this work, I’ve seen it. But I was not able to. I mean, my gang were pretty heavy drinkers. I’m not talking about a couple beers with lunch. Drinking was our entire weekend; and a few days during the week also.

There are sometimes issues significant others, where they may question your motives, or just simply not really want to embrace the change. Some, or most, people hate change. This can be challenging because without the support from your loved ones, it’s a constant battle. It’s hard enough to do it with complete support.

So, what’s the solution to this?

First, make the goal in your mind very clear so it’s easy to explain to anyone, even a child. An example might be, I want to lose X lbs. From my last doctors visit, I am not healthy, and I want to get healthy. So this year, I will simply focus on losing weight.

Second, make the large goal small. Very small. While I want to lose all the weight and get healthy, I can’t lose all the weight this year. My current goal is to lose 1 lb per week. I know weight loss is not linear, but my goal is to lose an average of 1 lb per week. That will be about 52 lbs in 2018. I’ve seen some people just make 10lb goal increments, rather than trying to focus on any more than that. They just set their goal to lose 10lbs. Easy, right? When you hit it, celebrate, then make a new goal for another 10.

Third, now that you have the big goal, and a smaller bite-sized goal in place, you can start working on communicating this to friends and family. This piece is tricky, but explaining that you will be calorie counting and simply eating reasonably, should suffice. No tricks, no special diet. Just eating within your calorie expenditure.

Forth, and this is for you, you will struggle. You will have horrible days. You might have huge binge days where you throw it all out the window and eat like it’s 2017. That’s ok. Want to know a secret? Everyone does this. But, the key to success is getting up out of bed the next day and get right back into your regimen.

Fifth, and lastly, never ever punish yourself for a bad meal/day/week/month. It’s not that serious. It’s food. You’re not a failure. Just pick up where you left off. Shake it off.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Great post!
  • Carolsbeach
    Carolsbeach Posts: 6 Member
    Great post and true. Decide what u really want to lose not what u wish to lose then work for it, I am refocusing. After 460 days with mfp lost my way over the holidays but will fix things starting today
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Love this. Great post.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Some good points.

About telling others though I have found it better to keep my calorie counting and weight loss efforts mostly to myself. Unless you want to open yourself up to comments, criticism and advice don't put the topic out there. You don't actually have to tell all your friends and family that you are trying to lose weight. If they notice and comment just say this is what I want to eat today or I am trying to eat more vegetables now.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    High five and Happy New Year!!
  • Fit_Prit
    Fit_Prit Posts: 251 Member
    Great post.
    Thank you for sharing all those points. 5th point is most important , that's what I think.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Why doesn’t everyone just lose weight, get ripped, and stop feeling sorry for yourself?

It’s an interesting question. It’s almost the New Year, and new people are signing up and committing. Experience tells me that the majority of these people will be gone by March.

So, why is that?

The idea of losing the weight sounds awesome. But, the weight loss comes at a price. The price is a lifestyle change. It’s changing deep rooted habits. You can no longer sit on the couch and eat a whole bag of potato chips and wash it down with a 6-pack of beer. You can no longer just mindlessly eat. You have to think about everything you do and make changes. The reality of those changes are too much for many people. It’s the reason I will never have 6-pack abs. I just don’t want them bad enough to have to do what it takes to have them. I like to eat. I will always be a little round in the belly because of it. But, I am fine with that. As long as I am strong and healthy, it doesn’t matter.

The dedication to losing the weight comes with a price. You might have to completely revamp your entire life. For instance, I used to go out a lot. I was very social and when I decided to change that, it caused a lot of static between me and my friends and family. I was no longer available to go eat nachos and drink 12 beers on a Saturday. I didn’t want to do that. The social pressure was incredible though and making the change wasn’t easy. I tried everything. I would go, but just drink water and not eat. But, then, that wasn’t fun because they would keep pushing food and drinks and it just gets tiresome.

In the end, I had to ditch those friends and find new ones. That’s not an easy process to go through. And not everyone has the heart to do that, especially if you have deep roots with those friends. I did have a couple of people hang in there with me, but ultimately, we just stopped hanging out because they continued their lifestyle, and I overhauled mine. And, the dynamic changes: I wanted to go hiking, or running, or biking, and they wanted to go drinking and eating. Some people can make this work, I’ve seen it. But I was not able to. I mean, my gang were pretty heavy drinkers. I’m not talking about a couple beers with lunch. Drinking was our entire weekend; and a few days during the week also.

There are sometimes issues significant others, where they may question your motives, or just simply not really want to embrace the change. Some, or most, people hate change. This can be challenging because without the support from your loved ones, it’s a constant battle. It’s hard enough to do it with complete support.

So, what’s the solution to this?

First, make the goal in your mind very clear so it’s easy to explain to anyone, even a child. An example might be, I want to lose X lbs. From my last doctors visit, I am not healthy, and I want to get healthy. So this year, I will simply focus on losing weight.

Second, make the large goal small. Very small. While I want to lose all the weight and get healthy, I can’t lose all the weight this year. My current goal is to lose 1 lb per week. I know weight loss is not linear, but my goal is to lose an average of 1 lb per week. That will be about 52 lbs in 2018. I’ve seen some people just make 10lb goal increments, rather than trying to focus on any more than that. They just set their goal to lose 10lbs. Easy, right? When you hit it, celebrate, then make a new goal for another 10.

Third, now that you have the big goal, and a smaller bite-sized goal in place, you can start working on communicating this to friends and family. This piece is tricky, but explaining that you will be calorie counting and simply eating reasonably, should suffice. No tricks, no special diet. Just eating within your calorie expenditure.

Forth, and this is for you, you will struggle. You will have horrible days. You might have huge binge days where you throw it all out the window and eat like it’s 2017. That’s ok. Want to know a secret? Everyone does this. But, the key to success is getting up out of bed the next day and get right back into your regimen.

Fifth, and lastly, never ever punish yourself for a bad meal/day/week/month. It’s not that serious. It’s food. You’re not a failure. Just pick up where you left off. Shake it off.

This is awesome!!.. can u be my trainer?..

On the other hand.. im scared of u . :p;)

Whats the key to being a trainer that everyone feelings confident and comfortable with . Just somthing id luv to know.

I want a trainer and ive tried them but i loose out because i feel im just a number. Like theyll get u doing things and take your money and not worry abt the care of the person.
    Please tell me if im wrong.i want to be. Ive been going to a gym for 15 approx yrs and ive had a pt a couple of times and it hasnt worked. So ive been training myself and going by garmin workouts a bit.

Sorry im complaining but i thought id put out there and learn from my feed back.

Cheers and Atb. . Winners on your fitness journey.