Help with calories and goal setting

Options
Hello,
There is so much misinformation I was hoping to get some advise from people who have lost weight and are happy with their results. I am 26 y/o Male who is 6’7” and 320#. I need to lose about 80# and I’d like to lose it at a reasonable pace. I currently don’t track what I eat as closely as I should, but I would like to get back in the habit of doing so. I’ve slimmed down to 260-270 before, but it was years ago. Please help!

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Track your calories.

You already answered your own plea for help
  • Kinggoliath
    Kinggoliath Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yeah but how much? And what Macros?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Whatever MFP gave you. You put your stats in when you signed up.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Plug your information into MFP's goal-setting tab. At your weight, you can probably lose 2.5 to 3 lbs a week safely and without sacrificing lean mass unnecessarily, but MFP will only allow you to select up to 2 lbs a week, so if you wanted, you could leave up to 500 calories a day of your goal uneaten (but make sure you're logging your exercise calories, as MFP doesn't take them into account in setting your calorie goal).

Get a food scale. Weigh all your solids (or as much as possible -- I don't carry a scale around with me when I eat outside my home). Log everything you eat and drink, even if you have to estimate some things.

That's it.

Good luck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yeah but how much? And what Macros?

Macros are immaterial to weight loss. Get enough protein (opinions vary, but 0.8 grams per lb of lean mass is a common recommendation). Get enough fat (typical recommendations are 0.35 to 0.4 grams per lb). Fill up the rest of your calories with whatever macros you like.
  • Kinggoliath
    Kinggoliath Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thank you!