PRE + POST MEALS

Options
bz2018
bz2018 Posts: 143 Member
What are your pre and post work out meals? For me I’m trying to build lean muscle, suggestions?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have candy before and during my workouts and have lunch (usually chicken, leftovers or eggs) post workout. I don't pay too much attention to it to be honest since I don't think it really makes that much difference.

To build muscle you want to eat in a surplus.. 250-500cal over maintenance. Starting off fairly lean, getting adequate protein and following a progressive lifting program will give you the best chance of gaining muscle without gaining too much fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Depends when I train, and what I feel like

... For the past couple of weeks I've been training after dinner, then eating dessert when I get home. Before that id usually train before dinner and have dinner/dessert post training.

If I train in the morning it's usually fasted because I'd rather save my calories for later in the day.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If I workout in the morning it is usually fasted. I feel sick if I workout right after I eat.
    If it's in the evening, it's about an hour after whatever is for dinner and then a protein shake afterwards.
    The standard cutting without losing lean mass meal is chicken, broccoli and rice. Or fish, green beans and rice. I also make a killer chili with 90/10 or leaner beef.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    If I workout in the morning it is usually fasted. I feel sick if I workout right after I eat.
    If it's in the evening, it's about an hour after whatever is for dinner and then a protein shake afterwards.
    The standard cutting without losing lean mass meal is chicken, broccoli and rice. Or fish, green beans and rice. I also make a killer chili with 90/10 or leaner beef.

I can honestly say I've never eaten chicken, broccoli and rice as a meal...achieving physique goals doesn't require anything that bland or boring, thank goodness!
  • bz2018
    bz2018 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That’s what flavourgod is for Ehhh
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I can honestly say I've never eaten chicken, broccoli and rice as a meal...achieving physique goals doesn't require anything that bland or boring, thank goodness!

Haha I know right. If people only knew what I ate on a cut .. :o:p
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Haha I know right. If people only knew what I ate on a cut .. :o:p

I actually really like chicken and broccoli but my intake when I'm losing weight is so far from the standard "bro foods." When I'm maintaining or gaining, I'm more likely to eat that stuff.

Pre workout - Quest bar, apple and an 0 cal Monster
    Post workout - Quest bar and a Lagunitas
  • rachael77carter
    rachael77carter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I’m really interested in your advice.
    I have been to a commercial gym for a year or so and I’ve been on SW . I found the gym really dull and un motivating and SW as soon as I stopped going the weight came straight back on. Over the last 6 months I have put a shed load of weight on and seriously cannot fit into my clothes. I refuse to buy new- larger clothes and I’m determined to be fit at40 not fat at 40.! .. so I’m looking to join a gym which seems to be based more on weights rather than all cardio. Because I have stonked so much weight on - my question is what’s the right foods to eat pre and post work out.? I want to loose body fat and tone and not bulk up.? Should I have protein shakes? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Hi
    I’m really interested in your advice.
    I have been to a commercial gym for a year or so and I’ve been on SW . I found the gym really dull and un motivating and SW as soon as I stopped going the weight came straight back on. Over the last 6 months I have put a shed load of weight on and seriously cannot fit into my clothes. I refuse to buy new- larger clothes and I’m determined to be fit at40 not fat at 40.! .. so I’m looking to join a gym which seems to be based more on weights rather than all cardio. Because I have stonked so much weight on - my question is what’s the right foods to eat pre and post work out.? I want to loose body fat and tone and not bulk up.? Should I have protein shakes? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year

There are no right or wrong foods, in any situation (ok, perhaps avoid food that has gone off, and things you're allergic too or hate).

If you want to lose fat (which will help you look more toned), eat at a calorie deficit - set up mfp to give you a recommended calorie amount for this. In regards to what to eat, I'd only say to focus on getting sufficient protein (0.8g per lb of body weight) to help maintain muscle - resistance training will help this too, and if you've not lifted before, you may experience some "newbie gains" (yay!)

You may find you can easily get enough protein in your meals, but if not, using protein powder might be a good option - I don't have shakes (blech), but I do add protein to yoghurt and pancakes/waffles to bump up the protein content.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I should have said around my house, that's the standard cutting meal. And it's only bland if you cook without spices, which I don't do. But if I need to cut weight so the health police at work don't raise my insurance premiums, I eat oatmeal for breakfast and chicken, rice and broccoli for lunch and dinner. If get bored with broccoli, I eat green beans instead.
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Pre: slow digesting carb. Sweet potato or oatmeal with 6 ounces of chicken,ground turkey,or ground sirloin.

Right after:whey protein 36g and a handful of gummy bears

Post: one hour later lean protein sources with vegetables or a salad