1200cals is this not too low? Thoughts?! Please add me!

Options
2»

Replies

• doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have we toyed with the idea that perhaps
    1. The OP misunderstood their PT or that
    2. Perhaps the PT told them something to the tune of that but for a reason. If the OP is doing really strenuous workouts, 1200 isn't going to be enough to sate them. I tried doing 1200 and started to see a PT. And my PT was right, 1200 is too low if I was to continue to work out at the level I was and stay healthy. 1200 is for short/sedentary/senior individuals and not appropriate for an average woman who works out.

OP, my suggestion is if your are concerned about the advice given to you, speak to another professional. Find a RD instead of your PT to discuss your workout regime and diet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have we toyed with the idea that perhaps
    1. The OP misunderstood their PT or that
    2. Perhaps the PT told them something to the tune of that but for a reason. If the OP is doing really strenuous workouts, 1200 isn't going to be enough to sate them. I tried doing 1200 and started to see a PT. And my PT was right, 1200 is too low if I was to continue to work out at the level I was and stay healthy. 1200 is for short/sedentary/senior individuals and not appropriate for an average woman who works out.

OP, my suggestion is if your are concerned about the advice given to you, speak to another professional. Find a RD instead of your PT to discuss your workout regime and diet.

The problem isn't that they gave her 2000 cals, that could be a good number for her, though for many of us it would be too much. The problem is they told her her body would "start storing fat not lose it" if she eats under 2000 cals. Which is simply not true and evidence that this PT is spreading woo.

You really don't have to go to an RD to get a calorie goal, although she certainly can if she wants to. Lots of women complain that MFP gives them 1200 cals, but often that's just because they are choosing an unrealistic aggressive goal and not logging their exercise. When used correctly, MFP will give most users a reasonable starting calorie goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are suggesting OP pick a random number in between and try it. We are literally on a website that figures out a good starting point for you, you don't have to guess.

OP no doubt got 1200 calories because she chose 2 lbs per week which is too aggressive. If she chooses a realistic pace and adds her exercise calories on top of her goal, I'm sure mfp will have her eating more than 1200. Maybe even closer to 2000. Then she can tweak based on results. No need to guess.

Yes to all of this.

I also am skeptical of a PT that makes blanket statements with incorrect information and suggest you ask your PT to focus on the fitness aspect and stay away from the nutritional/calorie portion of your program.