Half marathon in 9 weeks

Options
Is anyone else training for a half marathon? Mine is 9 weeks away, it’ll be my sixth one in ten years. Up to 8 miles comfortably now... need to up to 10 in next couple of weeks. I’m running three times a week & doing core three times a week too. Would be interested in anyone else’s views & training tips! I’m also looking to lose 15lb (not just in next 9 weeks) and running really helps me.

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have one in 14 weeks so I start a 12 week training program in 2 weeks. First time for me - I only started running at the end of May.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Several races planned for 2018. Next up is Jackpot 100miler in Feb.

3x wk with a long run of 8-10 is solid. You can definitely run 13. Any specific time goals? Or you just running it to finish?
    Make sure your “easy” runs are easy. Able to hold a conversation with someone running next to you.
    The 15lb will make a difference for sure.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

3x wk with a long run of 8-10 is solid. You can definitely run 13. Any specific time goals? Or you just running it to finish?
    Make sure your “easy” runs are easy. Able to hold a conversation with someone running next to you.

Wow 100miler sounds amazing! Am aiming 1hr 50. I’ll make sure I can talk and run on the easy runs. Yeah those 15lb are my own fault for taking eye off tracking & not weighing myself. Lesson learned!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

Wow 100miler sounds amazing! Am aiming 1hr 50. I’ll make sure I can talk and run on the easy runs. Yeah those 15lb are my own fault for taking eye off tracking & not weighing myself. Lesson learned!

Awesome! I like to throw in a speed day per wk too. Some of my favorites are 12x400m, 8x800m, 3x3mi, hr TM tempo. Or mile repeats with a 400m recovery jog. I like to have fun with things.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I want to do one in April for the OKC memorial. I’ve only ever done 5Ks and 10Ks are really hard to come by. I might just skip the 10K and go for the half!!! Good luck to you!
  • slimbyjune18
    Options

Awesome! I like to throw in a speed day per wk too. Some of my favorites are 12x400m, 8x800m, 3x3mi, hr TM tempo. Or mile repeats with a 400m recovery jog. I like to have fun with things.

Good idea on the speed day. Never tried that before... so you’d run 3x 3 milers at half marathon pace or faster?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

Good idea on the speed day. Never tried that before... so you’d run 3x 3 milers at half marathon pace or faster?

I aim for goal HM pace. It’s a tough workout. 2x4mi is another one I’ve done in the past.
  • slimbyjune18
    Options
    Fab! Thank you, I’ll add that one, is a great idea speed day!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

1 hr 50? Nice.
  • slimbyjune18
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

1 hr 50? Nice.

Hopefully. It’s a challenge. Training is going well, heavier than I should be. Have cut alcohol out this week, have previously trained with the odd few glasses. Want to see if it makes a difference on time & weight loss.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I had one planned for early March, but I’m still struggling with an injury, so that’s not going to happen. I’m looking for something in late April. Its actually been almost two years since I e done a race, though up until this most recent injury I had at least maintained a decent mileage base.