What does eating healthy look like?

Options
kimsliselle
kimsliselle Posts: 19 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I am attempting (AGAIN) to eat healthier. I NEED to lose weight to help my blood pressure.

What exactly does eating healthy look like? I don't have a fortune to spend on organic foods, although I would prefer them. I actually do love fish, but I love my red meat and pork too.

So, what does eating healthy LOOK like? Meaning, how do I shop when I'm trying to improve my diet? Not necessarily go on a diet, but in general just improve my eating habits? I'm a junk food junkie and a snackaholic, and I don't want to deprive myself of food.

What does eating healthy look like when you're the only one in a marriage that wants to change it? When I'm not the one cooking, and he's spent all day making something, how do I incorporate that into my daily diet?

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with black eyed peas and greens, although the sodium in canned beans may make you retain water. Cornbread isn't so bad if you don't put sugar in it.

I have 202 calories left today and I am about to eat a rice cake and peanut butter. I have room for it in my calories and macros and I am still hungry.
  • kimsliselle
    Options
    Thank you for your quick replies! I'm hoping to learn more about healthier eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating can look a billion differerent ways. A healthy diet is balanced and varied. You have to get in everything you need every day, and not too much of anything over time. Eating a wide variety of foods from all the food groups is the easiest and most pleasurable way to do this. Healthy eating is a healthy diet and a healthy attitude - eating what you enjoy, enjoying what you eat, relaxed, mindfully, trusting that you are eating well.

You need to spend a minimum on food based on your needs; what you choose to pay a premium for, is up to you and your values and preferences. Many simple and versatile foods are really cheap. Basing your intake on organic, health foods, supplements, reduced and added this and that, is an expensive and unnecessary way to eat.

You shop by planning your meals, writing down what you need for those meals, take that list to the store, and follow it. Eventually, you'll learn how to be more flexible, take advantage of sales, etc.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    37lp4xptsxix.jpg
    xt9vcop197g3.jpg

If this is eating relatively healthy, I can do this!! I used my food saver on the big salmon filet I bought at Aldi's. Cut it into 5-6 oz portions and froze them. I also did this with green beans and just refrigerated them. I wrote the gram/ounce amount on the bag so I would know. Added a little bit of olive oil to my cast iron skillet, added the salmon. Pink Himalayan salt, fresh ground pepper, onion and garlic powder. Pan sear till crispy.

Green beans were roasted, again little bit of olive oil, pink Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper. 1/2 cup of brown rice.

I missed the caloric goal by a bit, best I could figure using the food entry guide, but I'm full and satisfied.

That looks brilliant! Cutting up and freezing individual portions of a giant salmon steak is a great idea,
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're getting the idea. It just takes some planning. Up your fruits and vegetables, watch your protein, and your're good to go. Do your best to stay within your daily calorie goal. Don't worry, it takes awhile to get the hang of it. Remember, you don't need expensive, bio products if it's not in your budget. Just start researching food--where it comes from, how it's processed, and as you learn you'll naturally eat better. Best of luck.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I am attempting (AGAIN) to eat healthier. I NEED to lose weight to help my blood pressure.

What exactly does eating healthy look like? I don't have a fortune to spend on organic foods, although I would prefer them. I actually do love fish, but I love my red meat and pork too.

So, what does eating healthy LOOK like? Meaning, how do I shop when I'm trying to improve my diet? Not necessarily go on a diet, but in general just improve my eating habits? I'm a junk food junkie and a snackaholic, and I don't want to deprive myself of food.

What does eating healthy look like when you're the only one in a marriage that wants to change it? When I'm not the one cooking, and he's spent all day making something, how do I incorporate that into my daily diet?

There is a suggestion that a healthy food plate is half vegetables, quarter starch, and quarter meat.

Apart from that is think you can eat the same things you always ate, but watch your portion sizes. Record everything carefully on your MFP chart so you can see what you're really consuming, and make adjustments based on how that looks

You also need to include some exercise, and record that actually as well.

One more point - in a healthy marriage I would expect a husband to be a bit more aware of the needs of his wife who has a medical condition. Perhaps you should have a conversation with him on that.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    here are some simple tips (i'm a snackaholic too...)
    1: make a meal plan and shop once a week...using a grocery list. It's ok to buy some snacks lake a bag of chips or a piece of chokolate...it's your snack for the whole week

2: if your husband cooks eat what he makes..and add salat/greens on the side so you use the plate model TonyB0588 suggested :)

3: keep HEALTHY snacks close..and hide the unhealthy ones...I pack 2-3 pieces of fruit and some almonds every day for snacks in case I get hungry

4: personally I try not to shop when hungry...it always makes me buy more crackers/chips/cake...if I shop while thirsty I buy extra fruit and vegetables...but that may just be me :)
  • kimsliselle
    Options
    Great insight! Thank you! I splurged/fell off the wagon, call it whatever. We went out to eat and I FEEL like I ate healthy....fish taco with black beans, spinach, and guac...then the chips they serve with it and small amount of salsa. Water to drink. Lost it at the movie theater, because you can't watch a movie without popcorn (no extra butter) and a small coke that was like the size of a small country.....UGH. Guess I'm not eating dinner. Really don't feel like it anyway....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @kimsliselle I suggest you log your meal in to MFP today to see what those calories look like. That will help you with future choices.
  • kimsliselle
    Options
    They look like crap, best I could judge. Not every choice is in there. I knew it was going to be bad. Calorie wise, if I don't eat tonight, I'll be ok according the MFP. But it's probably not accurate because they can't include EVERY food combo out there.

BUT as my loving hubby said, compare what I ate today with what I NORMALLY eat, and I'm still coming out on top.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    All of those things are in the database. It would really be good practice to log rather than do another “start over”.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

My OH made us tuna melts tonight. I had broccoli with mine; he had fritos. I had half the cheese he did. We both ended up with the amount of calories appropriate for ourselves.

I find I snack less when:
    1. I exercise at lunchtime
    2. Eat more protein and less carbs than I did before I started paying attention
    3. Get good sleep

I use EWG's Dirty Dozen as a rough guide for what foods to buy organic or local. I grow my own strawberries and kale, among other things. (Mentioning strawberries as they were the crop with the most pesticides and kale because it does take effort to grow organically due to the pesky cabbage worm.) Potatoes I get locally cuz the farmers here don't use the practices discussed in Playing God in the Garden.