What are your non-food, non-$$$ rewards/substitutions?

Options
I have been trying to find options for non-food and non-$$$ rewards/substitutions when I want something unheathly while at work. Basically, we have a big open staff kitchen, and regularly people will leave lots of unhealthy goodies for others to enjoy. Also, when I am stressed or struggling with something, I have found a tendency to want to go get a Mocha.

I have a very small list so far and thought it might be good to get all of your thoughts to help too.

- Walk around the block (not sure if this will work for me)
- Journal or send out a MFP post

Thanks in advance, more suggestions would be soo super helpful.

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Podcasts, you can listen at meal and break time fin some on topics you're interested in
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,021 Member
    Options
    I work toward events.

For example, I want to cycle up our local mountain in February or March. I've done it twice now, but since the last time I did it, I put on a little bit of weight. I know if I want to do it again, I'd better drop that weight. So ... is the food that has been sitting out in the kitchen for goodness knows how long, being sneezed on and touched by who knows who worth the extra calories ... or would I rather eat the food I've brought and hopefully lose a little so I can do what I want to do?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Almond milk latte with cinnamon, 15 calories and remarkably like a mocha in satisfaction, just a thought. Shave some dark chocolate over, 29 calories, even better.

This has to be something you can do at work? Good book, video game, playing with a desk toy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've adjusted my attitude, habits and environment, so I don't expect rewards for doing nice things I should do anyway, I don't call things I like, unhealthy, I decided I have to find other outlets for emotions than food, and I don't substitute when there's something I really want and can have.

I plan, eat and enjoy balanced and delicious meals at regular intervals, and aim to stick to those meals.
    I schedule grocery shopping and cooking.
    I aim to get enough sleep, rest and exercise.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I definitely want to adjust my attitude and behaviour around emotional eating. Trying to ensure I have some other outlets that are quick enough to do while at work. I find ‘allowing’ a little if I really want it just doesnt work well at the moment for me. Going to slowly introduce treats as a sometimes food later.

Love the idea of making a low cal drink. That will definitely be my go-to if I really need something.

If anyone else has their own tips and tricks, keep em coming!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Lately I’ve started using sugar-free Torani syrup in my coffee. Zero calories. I use the vanilla but they have chocolate. I add 40 calories with my half and half, but almond milk will give you a skinnier drink. Compare to the 160 average calories for a Starbucks 16 ounce mocha. Hint: keep your creamer in the refrigerator at work, but the syrup bottle at your desk. Your coworkers will use up all your syrup otherwise!
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate and a face mask.