What works for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Consistency. That's my #1 key to success. Being consistently decent is, for me, far better than being occasionally perfect. 1 bad day counteracts 10 good days... so I'd rather have 30 decent days than 25 great days and 5 bad days.

It's better for me mentally and physically.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Chelleey wrote: »
    I'll ask the obvious question, in the past how did you determine how many calories you were eating?

I used MFP to track all my food intake. Weighed foods when necessary. I have lost a significant amount weight before I had the autoimmune disease. That was done by tracking food intake and exercise. I understand how it should work but it just doesn't seem to work with my current health challenges.

I also have an autoimmune disease and the thing that helps me the most is a daily walk at lunch whether I feel like going or not. It tells my mind and body that I am not giving in to the illness. I'm fortunate to be able to eat at my desk and still get my work done.

Have you been tested for food allergies? They seem to correlate with autoimmune disorders and when I eliminated dark green leafy vegetables, soybeans and coconuts from my diet, my weight became much easier to manage. I have no idea why, but you asked what works for me that's been it.

Good luck!
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I just ate less - the only thing I "cut out" was coke (I switched to coke zero)

I need to make this switch
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband insisted that yesterday was a holiday so I couldn't start travelling down this path until today. Starting today I will count every calorie and incorporate more activity into my life. What have you found that works for you? I am considering trying keto (to the best of my ability, I do like carbs and am an extremely picky eater).

Hi, I’m not too familiar with your condition but I wouldn’t focus too much on limiting calories. Really focus on quality over anything. I’m not sure what your current diet consists of but definitely suggest adding more protein and plant based foods as they have a harder time synthesizing into fat. If your willing, go vegan. Completely stop carbonated drinks & stick to water, and natural juices. And for workouts, try strength training, aerobics, HIIT, or resistance training.

Just no....

Why not?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My husband insisted that yesterday was a holiday so I couldn't start travelling down this path until today. Starting today I will count every calorie and incorporate more activity into my life. What have you found that works for you? I am considering trying keto (to the best of my ability, I do like carbs and am an extremely picky eater).

Hi, I’m not too familiar with your condition but I wouldn’t focus too much on limiting calories. Really focus on quality over anything. I’m not sure what your current diet consists of but definitely suggest adding more protein and plant based foods as they have a harder time synthesizing into fat. If your willing, go vegan. Completely stop carbonated drinks & stick to water, and natural juices. And for workouts, try strength training, aerobics, HIIT, or resistance training.

This woo brought to you by the diet and fitness industry.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options

Just no....

Why not?

Tell me how foods other than meat and veg synthesise into fat in a calorie defecit when they dont.

Why is carbonated water bad for you and natural juice good for you when it's typically high in sugar.

Limiting calories is how people lose weight, being Vegan isn't magic you still need to calorie count.

Just no....

Why not?

Tell me how foods other than meat and veg synthesise into fat in a calorie defecit when they dont.

Why is carbonated water bad for you and natural juice good for you when it's typically high in sugar.

Limiting calories is how people lose weight, being Vegan isn't magic you still need to calorie count.

For one they most certainly turn to fat if they aren’t sufficiently burned.

Two, you’re right veganism isn’t magic, it’s food. And it has amazing benefits to overall health, potential weight loss, lowered blood sugar, improved kidney function, & lowers risk of cancers...it’s not magic, it’s just good but like I sad...if she’s willing. It’s also protective against hyperthyroidism. Decreases morbidity, mortality rates....

Three, carbonated sodas are known to break down muscle and encourage fat build up. Diet soda particularly adds abdominal fat. It’s been excessively studied.

Managing weight isn’t just about how much you eat, it’s about what you eat especially with chronic diseases. Also what you do with what you eat has a remarkable effect on physique regardless of how much...which is why I included those workout methods that are typically ok for people w such diseases and are some of the best for burning calories. The more muscle, the more calories naturally burned & increases metabolism.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Just no....

Why not?

Just no....

Why not?

Two, you’re right veganism isn’t magic, it’s food. And it has amazing benefits to overall health, potential weight loss, lowered blood sugar, improved kidney function, & lowers risk of cancers...it’s not magic, it’s just good but like I sad...if she’s willing. It’s also protective against hyperthyroidism. Decreases morbidity, mortality rates....

Three, carbonated sodas are known to break down muscle and encourage fat build up. Diet soda particularly adds abdominal fat. It’s been excessively studied.

Managing weight isn’t just about how much you eat, it’s about what you eat especially with chronic diseases. Also what you do with what you eat has a remarkable effect on physique regardless of how much...which is why I included those workout methods that are typically ok for people w such diseases and are some of the best for burning calories. The more muscle, the more calories naturally burned & increases metabolism.

Could you point us to some scientific sources for any of what you are saying? Because I'm not familiar with any proof that some foods are more likely to get stored as fat than others, That veganism is protective against hyperthyroid, or that carbonated sodas are known to breakdown muscle and encourage fat. Thanks
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Just no....

Why not?

Just no....

Why not?

Could you point us to some scientific sources for any of what you are saying? Because I'm not familiar with any proof that some foods are more likely to get stored as fat than others, That veganism is protective against hyperthyroid, or that carbonated sodas are known to breakdown muscle and encourage fat. Thanks

There’s plenty of info that’s easy to find. But as I’m sure you know, sugary drinks & the calories they carry can cause weight gain if the calories aren’t burned. I only suggested the juice bc while it does contain sugar it doesn’t have the other things found in sodas.

I didn’t mean that’s some foods don’t turn to fat. I meant that protein goes to muscles if you workout, carbs to energy and recovery, and fats to fats. So obviously if i eat fat it won’t go to anything but fat. Sorry for the confusion.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Just no....

Why not?

Just no....

Why not?

There’s plenty of info that’s easy to find. But as I’m sure you know, sugary drinks & the calories they carry can cause weight gain if the calories aren’t burned. I only suggested the juice bc while it does contain sugar it doesn’t have the other things found in sodas.

I didn’t mean that’s some foods don’t turn to fat. I meant that protein goes to muscles if you workout, carbs to energy and recovery, and fats to fats. So obviously if i eat fat it won’t go to anything but fat. Sorry for the confusion.

There's also plenty of bad info that's easy to find. I have researched diet extensively in my free time as well as taken some classes, and I have never seen actual evidence of any of that. You made suggestions for an OP with a medical condition, I don't think it's too much to ask for your sources if they exist.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Simple, all foods in moderation, accurate logging, consuming less calories than I am burning.

No magic, pills, or gimmicks involved.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options

Just no....

Why not?

Just no....

Why not?

There's also plenty of bad info that's easy to find. I have researched diet extensively in my free time as well as taken some classes, and I have never seen actual evidence of any of that. You made suggestions for an OP with a medical condition, I don't think it's too much to ask for your sources if they exist.

I do the same as you and I’m studying to be a personal trainer & health coach. I also suffer from a chronic disease. I never included info that would hurt her just what I found has really worked for me. I don’t think any of the advice I gave was bad bc like others I suggested workouts, and dietary advice.

This is from just exposing myself & attending classes & following natural medicine so I don’t have the links memorized but I’m learning like everyone else. I don’t have the exact studies that I originally looked at in (2014) but I went to find something since just now...if I find the other info I’ll post it.....this is only a minor study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3847753/#__ref-listidm140143390580528title

I’m only trying to help OP. She asked about things that work for us. This worked for me & I really didn’t mean to offend anyone.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa! I just tried to eat less and move my body more. It's a work in progress and I'm still trying to get the mental aspect of it down (i.e. I ate like 2 big cookies, 5 mini cookies, and 6 mini candy bars yesterday... LMAO).

Hi again, sorry if what I originally posted about sugary drinks & veganism was confusing. What’s important is that you monitor what you eat and get a good workout in to burn extra calories. That’s the sum of what I was trying to say. I just included veganism bc a Doctor suggested it to me & it’s worked for me and help my body adapt to my body adapt to & manage my illness better. Just keep at it.
  • EloiseBean
    EloiseBean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    not having tempting foods in the house. keeping my mind business