Bodyweight Strength Training Program?

Options
MoTownSweat
MoTownSweat Posts: 26 Member
Hi!
First time on this board. I reached my goal weight (122, 5'6" female) and would like to focus on gaining muscle, but I prefer to stay away from gyms. The only weight I currently own is a 30 lb kettle bell.
Is there a respected program/routine for strength training that relies on exercises like squats/plants/lunges and/or uses only a kettle bell?
Thanks for your insight!

Edited to say: I found the bodyweight programs on the sticky! How helpful!

Is there one that y'all would recommend above all others?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi!
    First time on this board. I reached my goal weight (122, 5'6" female) and would like to focus on gaining muscle, but I prefer to stay away from gyms. The only weight I currently own is a 30 lb kettle bell.
    Is there a respected program/routine for strength training that relies on exercises like squats/plants/lunges and/or uses only a kettle bell?
    Thanks for your insight!

There is a BW program by Bret Contresas called bottyful (found in link below), but you are going to have muscle building limitations over time. Muscle building is driven by progressive overload, so you either have to do more sets, reps or add weight. And while you can build with body weight, its much harder to add volume without adding a ton of time. So it's a great way to start, but at some point, you have to make a decision, are your goals more important or staying away from the gym (unless you have the money to build an at home gym).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • MoTownSweat
    Options
    Thank you, I was wondering if the lack of progression would be detrimental! So, it sounds like progressive heavy lifting is the way to go in the long-term. Is that true even if my goal is just to build and maintain a toned appearance (i.e., not looking to compete)?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am going to quote myself from another thread I just answered this question from regarding rep ranges:
    psuLemon wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

First, I'd recommend a good beginner routine. If you like lower body, I'd recommend starting with StrongCurves. Regarding reps/weight. Ideally, once you build your foundation of strength (coming from lower rep higher weight), one should work a variety of rep ranges and weights. This way you work both fast twitch (strength) and slow twitch (endurance) muscle fibers. This way, you also provide yourself with the greatest chance of getting strength and providing a change for muscles gains from hypertrophy.

So what's best, is not thing of one or the other as being better, but recognize that each rep range and weight ranges has their benefits and limitations. Personally, I train from 3 to 5 reps, all the way to 15 to 20 reps.

For a toned appearance, you just need lower body fat and adequate muscle mass. That is easily controlled.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I was wondering if the lack of progression would be detrimental! So, it sounds like progressive heavy lifting is the way to go in the long-term. Is that true even if my goal is just to build and maintain a toned appearance (i.e., not looking to compete)?

There is an almost infinite progression in bodyweight movements as well, it's just that very few people ever reach the end. It can be a little tricky to find a suitable progression compare to just throwing a little more weight on the bar, so that's why it's less common. I'm not sure what all programs are in the sticky, but GMB fitness, Al Kavadlo, convict conditioning, gymnastics bodies.com are all good resources.
  • MoTownSweat
    Options
    Thank you, that's very helpful!