Recommended HIIT workouts?

Options
Hi all,

I have been doing quite a bit of searching on Google and found numerous HIIT programs however I was curious if there were some that were more recommended than others?

Ideally what I am looking for is:
- something around 30-45 minutes in length
- involves use of weights and not just pure cardio
- 2 to 3 times a week program so I can do pure weights on the other days
- Main goals keep muscle but lose body fat

Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    So you lift on some days, but are looking for a supplemental workout to do on the other days.. something that involves both cardio and weights?

For HIIT, I always turn to sprints, bleachers/hills, or swim intervals... but that's not really what you're describing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Losing body fat comes from a calorie deficit. So HIIT fork put downs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hiit for 30-45 minutes? This isn't really Hiit.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/what-is-the-best-hiit-workout.html

You are looking for interval training or circuit training
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options
    1. You don't want HIIT-You want circuit training
    2. Pick a moderate strength circuit that you would enjoy 3-10 exercises. and do a lap around a track or tennis court between sets.

Generally speaking--HIIT is sets of 30-120 seconds of max effort work(usually aerobic-Running/biking/rowing) followed by 60-240 seconds of recovery at a light or moderate intensity, done as a series of 5-10 rounds.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this post. Since December my workouts have been (as it is currently), 8 sets of 350m run or 600m rowing or 3km cycling, alternating with 40 reps set using free weight, machines, bodyweight, with no rest between. Would this workout be categorised as Circuit Training (which I use for my entry on MFP exercise) or HIIT? Total workout takes approx 50mins
  • stanmann571
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this post. Since December my workouts have been (as it is currently), 8 sets of 350m run or 600m rowing or 3km cycling, alternating with 40 reps set using free weight, machines, bodyweight, with no rest between. Would this workout be categorised as Circuit Training (which I use for my entry on MFP exercise) or HIIT? Total workout takes approx 50mins

It's circuit, although if you cut the total time to 20 minutes and shortened the distances to accommodate max effort, it might be HIITish.
  • jc1961AA
    Options

It's circuit, although if you cut the total time to 20 minutes and shortened the distances to accommodate max effort, it might be HIITish.

Thank you, that's what I thought, good advice about cutting it short and faster though, I may try this when I have less time
    J
  • stanmann571
    Options

Thank you, that's what I thought, good advice about cutting it short and faster though, I may try this when I have less time
    J

It's probably a solid workout. Quality Circuit training usually is.

It sounds like it's all indoors. Come spring, try taking it outside to a track or trail
  • jc1961AA
    Options

It's probably a solid workout. Quality Circuit training usually is.

It sounds like it's all indoors. Come spring, try taking it outside to a track or trail

yes I will go out cycling comes the spring, i may join some local boot camp session too
  • adam212121
    adam212121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, sorry for my confusion! It does sound like circuit training is what I was describing.

For my goals however - I would assume from what i've read HIIT is the better option vs circuits? I do realize that weight loss is going to come from what I eat, but I guess i'm just wondering an efficient program to realize benefits with.

I should have mentioned that my hope is workout 5 times a week from home (I have quite a bit of equipment) and find it easier on my time to workout right after kids goto bed.

The bodybuilding link (https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/what-is-the-best-hiit-workout.html) seems interesting. I am curious if others have had success with it.

Thanks again!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    adam212121 wrote: »
    For my goals however - I would assume from what i've read HIIT is the better option vs circuits? I do realize that weight loss is going to come from what I eat, but I guess i'm just wondering an efficient program to realize benefits with.

I should have mentioned that my hope is workout 5 times a week from home (I have quite a bit of equipment) and find it easier on my time to workout right after kids goto bed.

OP: You said that you didn't want to do "pure cardio" but the primary benefit of HIIT is pure cardio respiratory. It will not burn many cals or build much strength but it will tax your heart and lungs to the max.

The classic Tabata routine involves running on a treadmill "all out" at 170% of VO2 max for 20 secs, 8 times with 10 secs rest between each work set. This only takes 4 mins!

I occasionally do this routine on my Concept2 rower. Don't have any way to measure VO2 but I go all out as hard as I can. This wipes me out BUT I only burn 41 cals TOTAL doing this at a rate of 200 watts or about 1000 cals/hr. Because it is so exhausting, it is NOT recommended to do this type of HIIT routine more than once or twice a week.

So, if you are more interested in doing 30-45 minute routines 2-3x's a week and are interested in gaining strength and/or burning more than 40 cals/session, you should just stop thinking about HIIT and focus on circuit training or some other program that better meets your needs and specifications.

FWIW, I highly recommend rowing as something that may meet your needs. Unlike other cardio devices, rowers work almost all (a common claim is 84%) of the muscles in your body - both upper and lower.
    I've got an expensive spin bike at home that I've seldom use ever since I got the rower.

A beginner can easily burn 250-300 cals at a moderate pace in a 30-45 min session on a rower, which will help to strengthen and tone your entire body all while also contributing to your cardio respiratory fitness.

Supplement doing this 2-3x's a week with 2-3 days/wk (30-45 min/day) doing a strength training program like Strong Curves, Starting Strength or Stronglifts and that's all you'd really need to do to lose/maintain weight, gain strength and get fit (apart from logging your meals and eating w/in your calorie limits).

That's just my take on it but, based on what you've said, whatever path you choose, I really don't think that HIIT should be an essential part of it.

Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    adam212121 wrote: »
    Thanks all, sorry for my confusion! It does sound like circuit training is what I was describing.

The bodybuilding link (https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/what-is-the-best-hiit-workout.html) seems interesting. I am curious if others have had success with it.

Thanks again!

Can't understand why you would come to that conclusion - HIIT would be contrary or an antagonist to the goals you set out in your original post.
    It would be a great way to ruin both your "pure strength" training days by going into them fatigued and when you are supposed to be recovering from the strength work you are adding more stress from HIIT.

HIIT is for cardio (VO2 max) improvements - the kind of thing you would use sparingly to further your cardio goals (which you don't seem to have!).
  • adam212121
    adam212121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was under the wrong impression with HIIT...I guess I always saw it as a quicker way to lose weight. Ya honestly my main goal is basically to lose the stomach fat but still look like have muscle tone. I am not training for anything so do not really need the cardio benefits for sure.

My thinking is a better diet and then some weight/circuit training (from what i've read so far in these replies). This might sound ridiculous but I like have a program in front of me to strive for or follow. I find it easier to get started and keep going if I follow something if that makes sense.

Thanks again.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I like to do a mix, so my typical workout is:
    -30 min elliptical or bike
    -10-15 min sprints (30 sec all out, 30 sec rest)
    -20-30 min weight lifting circuits + stretching