What Do I need to Know about Indoor Cycling/Spin Classes?

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
Happy New Year all!

I've posted on here before about swimming for a bad knee, but with the weather dipping below freezing, the thought of leaving the gym/pool with wet hair makes all of my excuses seem valid.

So I thought I'd try some of the spin classes that LifeTime offers, but I'm terrified. They seem crazy intense and I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep up.

Do you guys have any tips?
Do I need cycle shoes/butt pads/any gear?
Is it okay to walk out if you can't keep up?

My gym has monthly "Intro to cycle classes" that teach you how to set up your bike but the next one isn't for another two weeks, and I figure that yall might have just about as much insight as one of the instructors.

Replies

• aeloine
    Options
    This is amazing! Thank you!!!
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Seconding towel and water. At my gym, it's a mix of folks in regular and bike shorts, and regular and bike shoes. After I decided I liked Indoor Cycling, I got a pair of bike shorts (a lot of riders in my class wear this brand), but I'm still not sold on the need for clipping in quite yet.

Do make sure you get there with plenty of time to tell the instructor it's your first time, and to get your bike set up to fit you. At my gym, the seat moves forward and back, and up and down, and the handlebars move forward and back and up and down, so there can be a lot of adjusting for me to do if the last person who rode was 6' tall. Hopefully the pedals will have toe cages - do make sure that you get that properly adjusted around your shoe - it will help you pedal more efficiently during the upstroke.

Be prepared for your seat to hurt. The first two classes, I could have walked out after 20 minutes because it hurt so badly to sit on the bike. I stuck it out, and that discomfort quickly faded. My gym does have one bike pad floating around the studio, but I seldom see it in use.

My favorite instructor is very clear to say "RPM at this number, advanced riders' RPM at higher number" and "add the amount of resistance that's right for you" throughout her classes. Even if she doesn't say it for a particular thing, I still know that's the policy, and there's times where I'm not adding as much as I've added before. Prime example: if the gym hadn't canceled her 05:30 am class on New Year's Day, I would have been there...and working about 60% as hard as I usually do. Sometimes a particular workout she sets up is harder than I anticipate, and I added too much resistance early, so by the 5th time she tells us to add, I turn the resistance knob a tweak instead of a full quarter turn. And the serious athletes (outdoor road racers who ride in her indoor classes in the winter) are turning it a half to full turn each time. I'm not there yet and might never be, and that's fine by me. I always ride at my level.

I'd also encourage you to stay for the whole class, even if your sitbones hurt and you feel like you're not working as hard as other riders. Just move the resistance down until you can keep going - another key phrase from my instructor is "this should be a level of effort you can maintain." Doesn't matter what the person next to you is doing - do what you can maintain.

And if class doesn't finish with a stretch, be sure to stretch! And not just your legs! We stretch our backs, necks, shoulders, and tris on the bike, and then stretch calves, ankles, hamstrings, and quads from the floor.

I hope it goes well and that you enjoy it!
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Spin is fantastic and I also love it. You don't need spin shoes...they help but not required. Also take the class at your own pace. If you have to go slower and less intense, that is totally fine. What I would not suggest doing is waking out of the class part way. Its disruptive to the rest of the class and the instructor. It is a lot of fun and you'll enjoy it!
  • aeloine
    Options
    I'm surprised that I'm not hearing more support for butt pads! Is it really not a big deal?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have done a fair amount of spinning and I never bought any special gear. If you like it, it may be worth investing later. But I wouldn't buy anything up front.

Second the advice to tell the instructor that it is your first time. I always do that when I'm trying a new class and I've found that instructors usually give tips, explain terms, or just keep an eye out for me (in a good way) when I do this.

I wouldn't leave the class if I couldn't keep up -- spinning is self-paced and you can just slow down. I recently did a class after a long break and I went way too hard at the beginning so I had to basically go half speed for the final part of the class. Nobody cared, it's your workout and you can decide the pace.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'm surprised that I'm not hearing more support for butt pads! Is it really not a big deal?

Cycling shorts are your best bet.

However.... Try a class or two to see if you like it before investing in a pair.

cycling shoes? They're not needed but I always wear a pair. It's just a better feel on the pedals. (the idea that you also pull up on the pedal stroke because you're clipped-in is a myth..... and probably left for a separate thread on the subject.) A good pair of regular training shoes will be fine.

Another idea.... try to sneak into the room and hop on a bike between classes (after an instructor has initially set-up the bike for you). Some gyms let you spin on your own and some have the door locked between classes.

I like to tackle a 90 minute spin of my own without the class; it's typically just me in the room with my own music on an iPod.

if you're self conscious for the first time, just sit in the back of the room.... and yeah, a towel and a water bottle are needed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If you mean seat covers then would advise against. Padded cycling shorts maybe - seat pads no.

A lot of Spinnng classes include a fair bit of standing cycling which gives you some "saddle relief".
    But see if you enjoy the workout first before going on a spending spree.

Sweat towel, drink bottle, seat properly adjusted for height and reach and be sensible, go at your own pace/resistance.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you mean seat covers then would advise against. Padded cycling shorts maybe - seat pads no.

this; for sure, this.

also.... cycling shorts are best worn commando.

• aeloine
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

this; for sure, this.

Like actually, or are you just motorsheening me?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

this; for sure, this.

like actually...underwear can add friction points and rub you raw in places that aren't fun...
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options

this; for sure, this.

yeah. If you click through the link I posted, you'll see this technical-speak gem describing the chamois fabric that's inside the crotchal region of the shorts: "Women's SELECT Escape 1:1™ Chamois is smooth next to skin with blended edge-free cushioning for maximum comfort." Left unsaid is whatever it is that provides minimum comfort...
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You will be sore the day after your first session. Not just your butt, your entire body, although, your butt will be more sore than the rest of you.

If you want to fully commit to cycling, I would recommend investing in a seat cushion, and a pair of cycling shoes. Regular athletic shoes just won't cut it.

Also, take a towel with you. You will need it.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

this; for sure, this.

Possibly. I've taken cycling classes for the past three years, and it's never been an issue for me. I don't wear cycling shorts to class, so who knows? I stick to my regular active wear and it works.

Also, don't worry about not being able to keep up. I started taking classes at 300 lbs., and everyone was supportive. I did talk to the instructor about it at one point, and she assured me that no one is perfect and it's about going at your own pace, anyway.

If you need to slow down, do it. If your RPM doesn't match what the instructor is yelling for everyone to get to, it's okay. Do what you can.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Never wear underwear under cycling shorts - they are specifically designed to be worn next to the skin.
  • ktdeangelis
    ktdeangelis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I honestly never saw the need for a bike pad, or bike shorts. Like previous posters have said, your seat will hurt maybe for the first two weeks but it goes away pretty fast. I did spin for about six months in normal sneakers and then finally made the switch to shoes with clips and I love them. They really help get and keep my foot in the right position and have helped a lot with my standing climbs. Before you buy any gear though, I would definitely just focus on getting to classes to see if you like it. Also, let the instructor know that you're new. They can help you get your bike setup appropriately, show you how to up the bike's resistance, etc. And have fun! It's the best!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

this; for sure, this.

Chafing is a thing, and not a good one.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

this; for sure, this.

I would be honored to motorsheen you.....

and, yeah... I've ridden for years and can't imagine wearing my under-roos with my cycling kit.

your tush will be a lil' tender but that fades with being consistent on the bike.

like others have said, just go at your own pace.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    also.... worth mentioning, spin bikes typically accept SPD cleated shoes.

( there are primarily two kinds of cleats, Look & SPD.. or 3 bolt / 2 bolt. You want 2 bolt for a spin bike.)

Mountain Bike shoes - SPD / 2 bolt - are your best bet for spin class. There are a lot of styles & brands to choose from and sizing can be a lil tricky, so it's best to try them on at a local bike shop.

I also wear the thinnest sock possible with cycling shoes.
  • aeloine
    Options
    also.... worth mentioning, spin bikes typically accept SPD cleated shoes.

( there are primarily two kinds of cleats, Look & SPD.. or 3 bolt / 2 bolt. You want 2 bolt for a spin bike.)

Mountain Bike shoes - SPD / 2 bolt - are your best bet for spin class. There are a lot of styles & brands to choose from and sizing can be a lil tricky, so it's best to try them on at a local bike shop.

I also wear the thinnest sock possible with cycling shoes.

Is it a friction thing with the socks?