Not losing on 1200?

Hi, all,

Not sure what to do here. Been stuck at 195/194 last week and a half. I know it's not a long time, but makes me impatient. Counting accurately, weighing my food and including all calorie sources from drinks, condiments, extras of any kind. Not working out quite yet, so no muscle gain or anything like that going on. Been drinking plenty of water. Not sure what to do and looking for advice.

I'm 5'3½" and 33 y.o. if that helps.

I was losing the first couple weeks as expected, but nothing lately. My body is NEVER this consistent. Was at 192.6 two weeks ago, then 195.0 for 8 days and 194.0 this morning. I'm legitimately starting to think something is a little bit wrong. :'(

I have done this before and lost 85 lbs in 2011 but gained some back in subsequent years. Didn't experience any stalling like this last time. If it doesn't self-correct in a week or two, I am going to go see my doctor.

I can't think of why this would be happening. Trying to be patient and do what I know works but this has me stumped. Thoughts?

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    If you truly are eating 1200 then you're gonna have to accept that this experience is gonna be different then the last time. You weighed more the first time also.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    wait longer before changing anything, these things happen. If you dont see a change after 4 week re-evaluate
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    Your food diary isn't visible. You may not be counting/weighing correctly, but we can't really peek and see unless you open it up.

And a week and a half is not much time at all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A week and a half is too early to get worried.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

This^

I've had a 6 week plateau before. Just make sure your logging is tight (digital food scale) and double check the entries as some are wrong.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member

This. Especially when the week and a half has Christmas and New Year's Eve in it. Even if you weigh and log it all there's a lot of sodium in holiday foods. (I am looking at you, Ham and Chips with dip.) That sodium causes water retention. Give it time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

This. Especially when the week and a half has Christmas and New Year's Eve in it. Even if you weigh and log it all there's a lot of sodium in holiday foods. (I am looking at you, Ham and Chips with dip.) That sodium causes water retention. Give it time.

Yep, this is key. Changing the foods you eat, even if you're at the same number of calories, can cause temporary water weight gain just from sodium (or more carbohydrates than usual).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I totally understand your pain. You will lose if you are measuring and weighing your food and sticking to 1200 calories. Since you just started be prepared for a little up and down. Usually what happens is the first week or two a big water loss hits then as your body gets going the water comes back but fat is being lost. This can make it look like you are stuck or even gaining. Also be aware that if your bowels aren't moving that can affect things. I see you are young so chances are you are still menstruating so that monthly fluctuation is working aginst you as well. Try not to focus on the scale too much for the next little bit. Weekly weigh ins are fine. Just keep going and you will for sure lose. Good luck kiddo.