Keto vs Anything Else?? Unsure :/ NEED KNOWLEDGE!

Options
I'm currently hovering somewhere around 150-155 lb and am 5'5"...I want to get down to probably 130? Maybe less, depends on how I look/feel at that point. I have always had a rather pudgy middle, and after having my daughter at 18 I was left with a lot of stretch marks so that doesn't help with the "pudge factor" either. I thought maybe the Keto diet might be a good way to get rid of this stubborn fat, but after googling whether or not it's safe, now I'm concerned it's NOT safe/healthy and might cause me to gain more weight when I get off of it (?!) I only planned on doing it for a short period - one to three months?

I want to start building some muscle too, which I know isn't going to happen on Keto, so if I did end up doing Keto, I'd have to segue into adding back in more proteins and more carbs.

If not Keto, what about low carbing it? When I was 13 I was pretty pudgy so I started cutting out carbs and not eating so much bread and I remember that's when I started to drop the weight, so I'm wondering if maybe my body is one of those that benefits from a lower carb diet. I just don't know what to set my macros to in that case.

Any thoughts??

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you run your stats through MFP to determine calorie goals? set your rate of loss for .5lbs a week (with less than 20lbs you don't need to be agressive)

you can't spot reduce fat and Keto won't necessarily help you (regardless of what people say) - a progressive strength training program (strong lifts, wendler etc)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    have you run your stats through MFP to determine calorie goals? set your rate of loss for .5lbs a week (with less than 20lbs you don't need to be agressive)

you can't spot reduce fat and Keto won't necessarily help you (regardless of what people say) - a progressive strength training program (strong lifts, wendler etc)

This.^

If you want to keep the weight off, you need to come up with a way of eating that you can sustain forever, not just for one to three months. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. How you create that deficit is up to you. If you create it doing low carb or keto (which is just really low carb) then you are likely to regain it unless you continue doing low carb or keto forever. If that works for you then go for it. But if not then just eat whatever you want that fits in your calorie goal.
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I carry my pudge around the middle too - it also seems to be the last place it comes off for me so I find it quite frustrating. I can't guide you on keto per se, I have actively tried to steer clear of any marketed diet and instead try simply for balance in line with my goals.

I have tinkered with carbs and that seems to be my best bet. Despite the holiday, in the last month, I've seen positive changes in the waistline (which seems to align with my measurements - there just isn't any fat left to come off of the arms/back/legs so the gut has to go!). I am focused on gaining lean muscle so I shoot for 1g of protein for each pound of body weight which works out to something like 40% of my calories. The remaining 60% is split at 35% carbs and 25% fat.

I'm 5'4" and at 175 now (from 217 in June) and looking to land somewhere around 155-160. My high weight was 236. I have a muscular frame and not sure I will ever get back to what the BMI chart would say is "healthy" because I don't want to give up the muscle I've put on.

Hope this helps... good luck to you in 2018!
  • kolesevich
    kolesevich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is not about eating a "diet." You said that you were worried about putting on the weight when you finish. That is the mistake I used to make. I am a strong believer in making a lifestyle change and mindful eating. Your diet is not going to keep off the weight if you go back to eating whatever. For example, whole 30 is awesome because it makes you mindful of your energy, feelings, and stamina since you took out all the processed junk. The goal with Whole 30 is to keep with it so you ALWAYS feel great.

Another factor is not about weight, but more about composition. Just my thought!
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You can build muscle on a ketogenic diet... just ask Vince Gironda, the dude who made up the Steak and Eggs diet. If you're not sure who he is, he has a wikipedia page you can google for.

220px-VinceGirondaContestShape.jpg

You need to choose a diet (and by "diet" I mean the entire collection of what and how you eat, not the <insert name of fad way to eat here> meaning of diet) that you can maintain for life.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While there are typical minimums for protein and fat macros (which will vary depending on goals), carbs have no minimum. If you are weight training, some people find them helpful for energy and performance. Others don't.. so you will have to see what works for you.

Also this thread is very helpful

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As others have alluded to, the most important thing is following a diet program that you find sustainable. The question comes down to, are you more satiated by fats or carbs? And how are you currently eating? But in general, more of the population responds better (in terms of muscle building) when a diet a little higher than carbs. Carbs are anabolic which helps prevent protein degradation. And while you can at least maintain muscle on keto, it won't be as effective as a carb based diets. It's one reason why there are a ton of variations of keto to either carb refeed or time/cycle carbs.

What's more important for muscle building is your lifting program. It should be focused on the core lifts (bench, DL, Squat, OHP) and be progressive in nature. Ideally, you'd follow a program that is well structured and proven, like: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have the idea that short term “diets” aren’t going to be good. It’s been shown that yoyo dieting is actually worse for health and longevity so it’s better to find a diet that you can sustain long term. Try a moderate carb 100-150g and higher protein diet to help build muscle (fill the rest with healthy fats). I have my macros set to about 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat. I am not strict about them though I just know I am more satiated on protein then carbs. I am about the same stats as you and have 3 kids the stretch marks won’t go away but you can still get a nice core if that is what you want.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I’ve always been a proponent of lifestyle changes over fad diets. It’s how I’ve kept of these almost 30 lbs these past 5 years. However, we all go up and down the scale a bit and have to re-evaluate and adjust when we start to get a little...um...squishy hehe! Personally, I don’t view something like Keto or any other “temporary” diet change as a “diet” per se. To me it’s simply adjusting your macros to shed fat and then readjusting to focus on muscle building (neither of which I have done yet, personally, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading on it!).

At any rate, I have decided that for me, going Keto is too extreme for the amount of weight I have to lose and though it’s EXTREMELY appealing to me because I love Kerrygold butter (and cheese!) I think I’m going to go with something a little more sustainable in the long run. I’ll start with 25/35/40 and adjust from there after seeing my results. Thanks again everyone for your input!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I’ve always been a proponent of lifestyle changes over fad diets. It’s how I’ve kept of these almost 30 lbs these past 5 years. However, we all go up and down the scale a bit and have to re-evaluate and adjust when we start to get a little...um...squishy hehe! Personally, I don’t view something like Keto or any other “temporary” diet change as a “diet” per se. To me it’s simply adjusting your macros to shed fat and then readjusting to focus on muscle building (neither of which I have done yet, personally, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading on it!).

At any rate, I have decided that for me, going Keto is too extreme for the amount of weight I have to lose and though it’s EXTREMELY appealing to me because I love Kerrygold butter

So fit Kerrygold butter into your calories/macros on whichever diet you choose. Dieting doesn't have to mean giving up everything you love, you just have to do a little work figuring out how to fit it in - albeit maybe not in the quantities you'd like or are used to.

Keto is one way of doing it - but what it comes down to in the end is that all diets work the same way - by creating a calorie deficit (see the graphic below). It's a matter of which diet is most satiating and sustainable for you, because sticking with it is what gets you to your goal.

zv3rewt664hw.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is perfectly safe and healthy as long as you aren't subsisting on junk like pink rinds and fat bombs. Meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, olives, dairy, coconut and veggies are all healthy foods.

You can build muscle just fine on a ketogenic diet. Look at ketogains for proof. You may be at a very slight disadvantage but you'll be dealing in the easier newbie gains so it will probably make little difference.

That being said, keto is not the best short term diet, IMO. Some people do find it easier to lose while ketogenic but if you are not planning on continuing very low carb, you will not have learned how to eat appropriately for your maintenance diet.

Keto is great for some health issues and can help with weight loss but I would start as you mean to go on.
  • millicentwood
    millicentwood Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The first thing to acknowledge is that keto diet - like every other diet that works - only works because it causes you to eat under your TDEE. There is no diet that allows you too eat over your TDEE and lose weight. There is no diet that allows you to eat under your TDEE and gain weight. If you are losing weight it's because you are burning more calories than you ingest. Period. And if keto is a tool that enables you to achieve a caloric deficit than great! I'm not knowledgeable about rather or not the keto diet is better for you nutrionally, but in my opinion carbs are not dangerous. From what I understand of the keto diet it depletes your glycogen stores (the bodies preferred method of energy) to a point so low that your body switches from burning glycogen to burning fat. This puts you in a state of ketosis. This results in a build-up of acids called ketones within the body. Before starting the keto diet I would advise you to Google the effects of being in ketosis on the body.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

At any rate, I have decided that for me, going Keto is too extreme for the amount of weight I have to lose and though it’s EXTREMELY appealing to me because I love Kerrygold butter

So fit Kerrygold butter into your calories/macros on whichever diet you choose. Dieting doesn't have to mean giving up everything you love, you just have to do a little work figuring out how to fit it in - albeit maybe not in the quantities you'd like or are used to.

Keto is one way of doing it - but what it comes down to in the end is that all diets work the same way - by creating a calorie deficit (see the graphic below). It's a matter of which diet is most satiating and sustainable for you, because sticking with it is what gets you to your goal.

zv3rewt664hw.jpg

This!!