Not a diet but lifestyle change, how do I keep it up?

Options
Mego859
Mego859 Posts: 1 Member
Like many other people out there I try to be healthier and more mindful. It doesn’t last though! This time I would like for it to be different, I want to change and feel better about myself. How do you stay motivated?

Replies

• Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal Friends help. It's helpful to have other people post/ comment on your wall and progress.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I find the observable results from my weight management very encouraging - when I was cutting down to my leanest I found it rewarding to note how I could climb hills on my bike faster, or improve on my half-marathon times. I remember the first time I went running and realized my pectorals didn't have any fat on them.

Frankly I think a small, self-aware dose of vanity can help too. As my body composition steadily improves I take a measure of quiet satisfaction from my appearance getting more appealing to the eye (and my girlfriend's eye, more to the point).
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Don't make to many changes at once. If you eat out a lot, start eating in with the same food- chicken tenders, fries, burgers, etc. Same for taking your lunch as opposed to eating out. After you are in the bait of eating at home, then try to change your what your meals are made of. I think people try to do to much all at once, and it feels impossible so they just give up.
    Same for exercise- start with a 10 minutes walk three times a week. Gradually up the time/intensity but don't try and start out doing an hour right away.

Good luck!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hello.

When I had to make a huge lifestyle change in another aspect of my behaviour, "one day at a time" was how to do it. The idea of "never doing behaviour X again for the rest of my life" was unfathomable. I'd never known anything different. But I could do it "just for today". I'm trying to take this approach to diet and activity behaviours now.

Okay, so what is it exactly that I'm doing "just for today"? My lifestyle change has to be definable in terms of concrete actions and attitudes. I need boundaries and goals for a day. And that's one place MFP comes in. Those goals of course have to be reasonable and sustainable and will change over time. But I just need to know what I want to do today and put 95% of my concentration into that.

If I don't meet my goals in a day, hey, tomorrow is another day. I can't obsess about yesterday or worry about tomorrow.

Action precedes motivation. Just do it.

Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Habits as mentioned above. I've been maintaining a few years but I haven't quit paying attention:
    herz4whgt1go.jpg

Love this :smile:
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. It can be gradual. Consistency. An off day doesn't have to be an off week. You are ultimately in control. Find healthy habits you actually enjoy--meals you like to cook and eat, exercise that doesn't feel like torture, maybe a friend who help encourage you to get out of the house and get moving. This new lifestyle doesn't have to be privation. See it as a new opportunity. And just keep trucking.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Own the healthy habits. I’m a weight lifter. It sounded ridiculous when I first started saying it, but I did anyway bc being a lifter means having a plan to lift x times a week and doing it every week, and eating to fuel my lifting and further my goals. That makes it part of my identity, of just “what I do”, not an extra add on that maybe I get to if I have time (like “I like to scrapbook”. I haven’t had time to do that in forever, it’s just a fun thing I sometimes do, but I can leave it out). I did the same when running was my main activity, and went from huffing through the occasional mile to feeling like 13 miles wasn’t that big a deal.

And the more the “healthy you” becomes your identity, the more natural it feels and the less work (meaning mental work to make it happen, you still put in the effort, it just doesn’t feel as onerous) it takes. And others identify you as the athletic one/runner/healthy eater/whatever, and that only helps cement that habit as part of you.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do a few things, sometimes I cycle diet so I'll reduce a bit extra for a week or 2 and then back to stable what im used to (thats if iv really had a lot of junk on multiple days sorta like a reset), I track here so if I want junk food I fit it within my calories ex. I want hot cocoa so my breakfast and lunch are low cal so tn I'll have lots left for dinner and a hot cocoa. Generally I try to stay on the low side calorie wise mon-fri and then more lenient on weekends.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions above. I want to add the suggestion to take a picture of yourself, front and side (more angles as you wish). You may not feel you want to be reminded of that now, but later you look back to it with pride of what you have achieved and will want to continue further to your goal. It can be very motivating to have the visual too.

I don't know if you live with anyone, but if they have something tasty like chips, just steal a couple if you really want to have them, say 3. I always do that and it gives me the satisfying taste without wanting to munch down an entire bowl later on because I didn't give in to that craving earlier. Same with pizza. I always ask for a really tiny miniature slice (3 bites or so) to enjoy the taste.
    Now, that may of course not work for everyone. You have to find what works for you. You will fall off the wagon a couple of times while finding out what that is, but as long as you hop back on it as soon as you can, that really doesn't matter in the long run.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »

I don't know if you live with anyone, but if they have something tasty like chips, just steal a couple if you really want to have them, say 3. I always do that and it gives me the satisfying taste without wanting to munch down an entire bowl later on because I didn't give in to that craving earlier. Same with pizza. I always ask for a really tiny miniature slice (3 bites or so) to enjoy the taste.

That's fine if it works for you, but as a caution, a person would want to log those calories. I used to do that with my kids (a few chips, the couple of bites of something they didn't finish), and it adds up really quickly. And if you overestimate to compensate, then you end up cheating yourself.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think because I have a more powerful "why" now. In the past my goals were "lose 15lbs" or "wear a size 4." If it got hard and I was discouraged? Meh, I had size 10s I could wear, no big deal. Now my goal is a little bigger. I'm going to be 30 this year and i want to be someone that to the best of my ability ages well with the highest quality of life into old age...but at 29 I am pre-hypertensive and I have high cholesterol. I have family history of high pressure/cholesterol, coronary artery disease, stroke, heart attacks, etc. I don't want that to be me. So while I am not "that overweight" (BMI 26) obviously I need changes. THOSE goals are big ones. I don't want to die a day sooner than I need to so I am working as hard as I can to get strong to live a great life.