Swollen knees after exercising

Options
Let me first start off my saying this is the first time that I have posted on here. Until a few days ago I didn't even know there was a community and forum section. I've just been using the app to track my calorie consumption.
A little over a month ago I decided I needed to do something about my climbing weight and started watching what I ate. I saw small differences right away but a few weeks ago then decided I needed to start exercising again. I started walking with my son then tried small bursts of jogging. I felt like I should be able to jog with no problem. I've run two marathons before and quite a few half marathons and countless over races... However that was like 10 years ago!
On Monday I tried going to my gym for the first time in over a year. It was great, and I felt like I was getting back to my old self again by getting on the treadmill again BUT when I got home my knees were horribly swollen and hurting. I went back the next day in different shoes which felt much better while I was working out but hurt worse when I got home, so I went ahead and put ice packs on both knees.
Yesterday I went back and told myself I wasn't getting on the treadmill but did anyway. My right knee is huge now! It's also stiff, it doesn't really hurt when I walk it just feels kinda weird.
I just need to know if I can still exercise if it doesn't hurt? I don't want to loose the drive I have to go workout, which might happen if I have to stop for awhile. What about the elliptical machine? Or bike? If there's no pain while I'm actually in motion can it hurt me?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My advice is to go see your doctor and/or a sports doc or orthopedic doc or physical therapist. Either way, get advice from a medical professional, not random people on the internet. Take care of your body so it will continue to work for you!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the advice to see a doctor.

I have bad knees for several reasons-- the doc gave me arch inserts, which help.

Things I was told to do: Avoid the treadmill, stick to elliptical, ice often. Lots of quads exercises. My knees can't handle squats, so I do sitting leg lifts with the knee straight. I add weights to the ankles and do 20 reps twice a day. I was also told to avoid knee braces, as overuse weakens the joints and supportive muscles.

Good luck...
  • blurfish
    blurfish Posts: 10
    Options
    I went through similar pain, saw an orthopedist, and found out that I have arthritis in both knees! I've stopped jogging and just walk, and my knees have been fine ever since.
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention I broke my right kneecap 18 years ago. It healed completely and I really haven't had problems with it in a long time. I was an avid runner for almost 10 years after that. I'm just wondering if maybe exercising again has messed something up with it, as it is only my right knee now. I don't have insurance right now to go see a doctor either. I know hat would be best but I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.. If it doesn't hurt while exercising if it is still ok to workout even if it hurts afterwards?
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You need to build in rest days between runs or any exercise that is strenuous to your joints. In other words, do legs one day, arms the next, then legs, etc. There are a myriad of combinations you can choose from.

Also, go to a running store and get a gait analysis done. They are usually free. They can identify if you have gait issues and maybe recommend different shoes or inserts.

Lastly, look up Chi Running and learn how proper posture techniques.

I had a number of the issues you are talking about. I fixed them by switching to minimalist shoes (Brooks Pure), learning to mid foot strike, and learning to not over pronate.
  • blurfish
    blurfish Posts: 10
    Options
    Try this survey that I found to be accurate and enlightening - http://www.masterdocs.com/kneepain/start.php.

I took it when I was still trying to figure out why my knee was in such pain the second I stepped off the treadmill after jogging. I initially thought I had torn my MCL, so when this survey told me it was most likely osteoarthritis, I thought the survey was complete bunk. Then I got the official diagnosis from an orthopedist and realized the survey was spot on.

You'd still want to do what others here have suggested. But, knowing what is causing your pain will at least help you figure out if you should just push through the pain and expect it to get easier with more activity or if you should incorporate more RICE and low-impact activity inbetween your running days.
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanx! I'll try that.