Best Tips for Staying Motivated to Stay on Track?

Options
What do you guys do to help keep you motivated when it's getting hard? How do you guys stay on track?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a day or two off is the best motivation I can find. I've never been one to eat a deficit every day for long periods. I like to have those off days to look forward to.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's okay to take a break from logging, or eat at maintenance for a little while. Eating at a calorie-deficit can be mentally and physically exhausting if it goes on for too long.

I think the key is to keep weighing yourself and recording your weight. I like to use the Libra app for my weight trending. If you make a daily weigh-in a habit like brushing your teeth, it's easy to monitor and get back on track if your weight slowly begins to increase. It's all too easy to turn a blind-eye and before you know it you're 10, 20, 50, 100lbs heavier.
  • daz0012
    daz0012 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I keep two pairs of my old jeans, size 46. One in the office and one at home. I pull them out every time they cater food and overtime I get the urge to go to CHICKEN EXPRESS!!! ahhhhh
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    It's okay to take a break from logging, or eat at maintenance for a little while. Eating at a calorie-deficit can be mentally and physically exhausting if it goes on for too long.

I think the key is to keep weighing yourself and recording your weight. I like to use the Libra app for my weight trending. If you make a daily weigh-in a habit like brushing your teeth, it's easy to monitor and get back on track if your weight slowly begins to increase. It's all too easy to turn a blind-eye and before you know it you're 10, 20, 50, 100lbs heavier.

I really think if more people gave themselves permission to "pause" their weight loss and practice periods of maintaining, some might have more success. There's no shame or problem with pausing once (or several times) before you reach your ultimate goal and having periods where you practice not losing *while also not gaining* can be very helpful once the goal is ultimately reached.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I agree with this, but I cannot do the daily weighing. I was driving myself crazy. I weigh once a week and this way I know if I am heading in the wrong direction. Although I know if I am heading in the wrong direction but what I allow myself to eat as well.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »

I agree with this, but I cannot do the daily weighing. I was driving myself crazy. I weigh once a week and this way I know if I am heading in the wrong direction. Although I know if I am heading in the wrong direction but what I allow myself to eat as well.

Very true, daily weigh-ins are not for everyone. I personally like tracking the data from a scientific point, it's interesting to me to chart the fluctuations and trends. Weekly weigh-ins are just as good for holding yourself accountable!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don’t depend on motivation. I’m just doing this now. I started by committing to it for one year. Now, it’s just what I do.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Using MFP is always good motivation for me. And using my Fitbit and participating in weekly step challenges with people helps. I am currently in a step challenge group on Fitbit with people I met on here. We’ve been doing step challenges every single week for well over a year! They really help me stay motivated.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    Using MFP is always good motivation for me. And using my Fitbit and participating in weekly step challenges with people helps. I am currently in a step challenge group on Fitbit with people I met on here. We’ve been doing step challenges every single week for well over a year! They really help me stay motivated.

Yes I love my Fitbit! That's a great idea doing challenges with people on here!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning, and had no motivation. But I did it anyway because I need to show up to have a job. Same thing here, motivation comes and goes. I go to the gym in my lunch break, I don't go when I'm feeling motivated it's just part of my routine. It's like more keeping snacks in the house, set yourself up to succeed.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I really don't worry about my motivation or expect it to carry me through this journey. I focus on habits, mostly. I almost always have a healthy, high protein breakfast. This starts my day in the right direction. I often don't eat a second meal, this saves me calories for the end of the day, when I'm the hungriest.

If I want to indulge, like I wanted today, I make sure I earn extra exercise calories. If I really, really want to indulge, but don't have the calories then I allow myself to have the indulgence. But I always remind myself that I am back to business tomorrow.

Lastly, it's okay to have a maintenance day or even weeks, if needed or wanted. I just ended a 2+ week diet break. I returned so excited to be back on plan.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes, I work on building habits and routines that will support my goals