350+ pounds Support for Men & Women

Options

Replies

• leeonmcdaniel
    leeonmcdaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!!!!!

I wanted to touch base with everyone. I was in a pretty significant car accident on January 19th and pretty much had my whole life turned upside down, which is why I have not really been around. I have not been able to get back to the gym due to some back and shoulder injuries and other injuries. I am trying to get things back to normal as I can. But I want to let you all know I am thinking of you and thinking positive thoughts for all of you.

I finally just started loosing again and I can say I am down 87 pounds but I sure miss getting my activity in as well.

Good luck everyone and I will be back ASAP.

im glad that you are okay. and this was an amazing group that you have started
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    @CassieBinTC take care of yourself and we will all still be here when you get back to it. You’ve created a great thread so thank you and I hope you’re feeling better soon.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    @Meg1792 You've found the right thread! We also have a group. If you look up through the comments someone posted a link recently. Haven't figured out how to do links on my phone so can't post it again but I'm sure someone else will soon. Welcome!
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just found this thread, and I'd love to be a part of it (I also found your link to the group and joined that too, haven't posted yet, but joined - hope that's ok!). Exactly one year ago today I was 337 -I know it's not quite 350, but pretty darn close and all the other threads are for people in the low 200's - not me. Anyway, I'm down to 307 - 30 lbs in one year is pretty pathetic to me. I would love your support, promise not to judge you, and will be a great motivator. Thanks everyone!
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    @Meg1792 and @cnavarro002 welcome!!! You have both come to the right place. I’ll send you each a friend request. It’s great to be able to talk to people who can relate. See you around!
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am so happy this thread has come to what it has. We are all in the right place. Thank you everyone for all the well wishes.

Welcome to everyone who is new.

I want to give the biggest shout out to @Mellykay88 who is doing such an amazing job at keeping things under control right now.

I go the doctor Monday, but I know I won't be cleared to go back to the gym because yesterday was the most painful day since the accident.

Keep up all the great work.
  • Mellykay88
    Options
    @CassieBinTC (((hugs))) I’m sorry you are having such a tough time. I hope the doctor can give you some good news. Until then, take care of yourself. There will be plenty of time for the gym once you are healed. <3
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi - O.M.G.! I want to friend everyone. I have been bouncing between 300-360 since Spring of 2014. It is exasperating. I often jump back on the band wagon... only to fall off in a few days or weeks. Accountability buddies drop out on me and I am NOT a self-motivated person. Never really have been. In my 20s, I lost huge amounts of weight three different times... each time losing less and taking much more work. Now, I am 40 years old... have always had severe back problems, but they are SO much worse. My knees are bad and stairs are SO painful. Even though my weight has been the same for almost four years... I am larger because I have lost so much muscle and it was replaced with fat - lots of it. I was a binge eater before the concept of it being an eating disorder seemed to become acceptable... as early as five or so. Right now, I am facing THE hardest anniversary date of the year and have already been stuffing myself with food to cope and push away the emotions.

I WANT to do better. I just have not found the kind of support that will really help me to keep on the band wagon of good health. I do not know how to cook and have no room whatsoever in my tiny efficiency to prep and prepare food. I have no clue what I am going to do or where to start.

And... what is KETO? Is it like Adkins or something?
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    @RunaMarti I’m going to send you a friend request. Always helps having people around who are in it for the long haul. Welcome!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    RunaMarti wrote: »
    Hi - O.M.G.! I want to friend everyone. I have been bouncing between 300-360 since Spring of 2014. It is exasperating. I often jump back on the band wagon... only to fall off in a few days or weeks. Accountability buddies drop out on me and I am NOT a self-motivated person. Never really have been. In my 20s, I lost huge amounts of weight three different times... each time losing less and taking much more work. Now, I am 40 years old... have always had severe back problems, but they are SO much worse. My knees are bad and stairs are SO painful. Even though my weight has been the same for almost four years... I am larger because I have lost so much muscle and it was replaced with fat - lots of it. I was a binge eater before the concept of it being an eating disorder seemed to become acceptable... as early as five or so. Right now, I am facing THE hardest anniversary date of the year and have already been stuffing myself with food to cope and push away the emotions.

I WANT to do better. I just have not found the kind of support that will really help me to keep on the band wagon of good health. I do not know how to cook and have no room whatsoever in my tiny efficiency to prep and prepare food. I have no clue what I am going to do or where to start.

And... what is KETO? Is it like Adkins or something?

hi! Glad you found us! :)

Yes, keto is a low carb diet style like Adkins, though I think from what I've heard, its even lower carb (I've never done Adkins either, so while I know its low carb, I don't know exactly how low it goes) There is a lot of woo around it here as its a popular diet plan at the momen. It is an affect diet plan for some people, though, and there are some good, sensible threads and groups here for keto followers if you are interested in it. I don't do keto myself, so I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any particular group if you are interested in it, but if you have some time to read through some of the threads here, I think you'll find some good advice on it, the pros and cons, a realistic view of what the diet can and can't do, and help you decide if its right for you and want to give it a try.

Good luck to you!
  • Mellykay88
    Options
    @RunaMarti Welcome!!! I’m sending a friend request! Join our group! We’re pretty active over there. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/124982-350-pounds-support-for-men-women
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    @CassieBinTC

I’m PROOF it can be done!

2013 I was 376# and 65 yo.

Today after five years on WW, changed Lifestyle I’m 188#. Four pounds away from my GW!

I lost +100 pounds in my first three year and was happy not gaining any back like I had done my whole life.

2016/17 I joined MFP Challenge to lose 52 pounds in 52 weeks. I lost 37/43 to get to half my SW (376 to 188!)

Just know this, slow progress is better than no progress.

I found aqua aerobics and swimming laps was my preferred exercise. Find something you like to do. I enjoy the socializing with my classmates.
  • Mellykay88
    Options
    @Jimb376mfp you are such an inspiration! I’ve seen your before and after photos and your story gives so much hope to those of us who are still a long way from goal.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    @Jimb376mfp you are such an inspiration! I’ve seen your before and after photos and your story gives so much hope to those of us who are still a long way from goal.

Do it NOW while you’re YOUNG! It’s hard BUT worth the work! You’ll never regret getting healthier
  • Dad4Myla
    Dad4Myla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi all Name is Chris, starting this Journey at 402 lbs. I’ve done weight loss before and went from 365 to 275 6 years ago. And gave up went back to my old ways and even worse. But this time I have a three year old daughter that I’m doing it for because I wanna runs dnplay with her and do things at amusement parks with her. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    @Dad4Myla hey and welcome! Have you found our group yet? The link should be above and there's more going on in there. Look forward to sharing the journey with you.
  • leeonmcdaniel
    leeonmcdaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    its amazing what a little walking can do for someone. I walk on lunch and breaks at work and I can see a small difference with myself. I've caught my self saying just gonna walk one length and turn around to saying its a block and now I'm walking 2 blocks within 15 minutes where as a month ago it took me 15 minutes to basically walk a block. may seem small to others but this is an amazing difference for me
  • baylynn2009
    baylynn2009 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is JJ and I am new to the MFP and the Community boards. I am reaching the number 400 and have been recently gotten a diagnosis of diabetes. Starting to cut sugar out of my diet. Currently all soda has gone away including diet soda. Going to love having a place to discuss the long journey ahead of me.
  • Bouquetofflowers
    Options
    Currently trying to a lot of weight as well...200 PDS to be exact...