Whole30 Challenge

Hi there! Just thought I'd post on here that my whole family and I (parents, sister and myself) are doing the Whole30 diet/challenge for the month of January/leading into February.

We are all pretty healthy bunch to start off but we each have different hopes while doing this challenge. I personally want to get in the habit of making whole food based recipes that don't include cheese as a main ingredient lol. But seriously, I have pretty bad eczema and a tricky tummy in the mornings so I'm hoping that by doing this diet, I will see some improvements. If I don't see any magical life improvements by the end of the 30 days, I ate clean for a month and there is nothing wrong with that!

Is anyone else doing this in January? Do you have any hopes going into it? :smile:

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I am doing something pretty close to it - have to get better about staying on my 'safe' diet that doesn't cause me any reactions, which is pretty close to the Whole30.

Hey, in case it helps at all when you are looking at how your body is doing... A couple of my friends now with eczema have found that when they dropped corn products (especially processed ones like corn syrup and corn starch) they had a really big improvement with their eczema symptoms. I hope that you have the same improvement!
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Yeah I'm on day 2 now. So far so good.
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Day 9 for me. I started on boxing day. Im feeling great! Better than i have in a long time and i look less puffy already. I am still tracking my calories too even tho u are not supposed to. Im thinking dairy has been causing me issues and i have been a sugar addict for the last bunch of years. Hoping this helps me conquer that or at least motivate me to be s bit more moderate when i do have some chocolate. Anyway, so far so good. Its actually becoming routine.
  • EmilyMagic
    EmilyMagic Posts: 2 Member
    Im doing kind of a whole30/paleo style diet. No dairy, no grains, no added sugar or processed foods. I'm on day 3 and i have recipies that i like but I'm never sure what im in the mood for food wise. Ive been eating lots of veggies and meat and trying to get some fruit in, but all ive been craving is dessert! Help!
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    For the record, I have psoriasis and it took 6 months to really notice a difference while on Paleo. Therefore, I recommend taking pictures of your eczema now so you have something to compare against in 30 days as that may not really be enough time to see a discernible difference otherwise.

Photo below of my knee - left side is my knee while on a $200 per tube 2x a day application of generic topical ointment. Right side is my knee just by being gluten free for about a year with no meds. Takes dedication because the results are soooooo slow. One of these days I’ll get around to taking a new follow up photo of my knee as after 2 years on the gluten free bandwagon, there are almost no spots left on my knees!

Good luck!

js3seuikytva.jpeg
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Emilymagic: i made a bunch of date/nut/coconut balls. They are sweet and tasty and satisfy that craving for dessert or a cookie after dinner or evening. Google recipes. I used mejool dates, walnuts, coconut oil, coconut and almond hazelnut butter. Mix it all in food processor or blender, roll into little balls and put in freezer for an hour (then keep in fridge). Dont eat too many. Dates are allowed due to the fibre but they are sweet. 1 or 2 to satisfy ur craving. They are healthy but very tasty and rich.