Where to start at the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is a great first start!

For next time, double check your shoes, and make sure that they're in good condition -- not too thin, not falling apart, etc. Take a look at your heels, and moisturize/hydrate them (but not where they're bleeding). I don't know what country you're in, but this time of year, cracked and dry heels is really common -- it's nothing that you've done wrong, or could have prevented as an injury. You just might need to stay on top of them a little.

Socks: My absolute favorite for race day are these: https://www.balega.com/product/hidden_comfort

They're expensive, but they feel *amazing*.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,923 Member
    Options
    btcowboy wrote: »
    I also want to add, if you are completely new to a gym environment and personal trainer for a couple of sessions is worth its weight in gold. I had been in the gym pretty hardcore before I quit and packed on all my weight. When I decided enough was enough and hit the gym again I decided to get a PT for a couple sessions to check my form and show me a couple things I never did in my past life that I could add in.

Another vote for a few sessions with a PT, especially if you are new to going to the gym. Your new membership may have included a free session(s) but if not, they are well worth the cost.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If your heels are cracked and bleeding I think hard skin is probably more of a culprit than the excercise. You could try the below regime to help with this. It really helped my cracked heels. The cracks feel like you have stood on broken glass, horrible.

1. Soak feet in bowl of hot water with a couple of capfuls of Listerine (mouthwash) any flavour soak for as long as you like.
    2. Dry feet thoroughly
    3. Exfoliate dry skin using a pumice stone or other hard skin remover
    4. Use a dry skin foot cream, flexitol heel balm is a good one, put on a pair of old socks afterward so you don't slip everywhere. If you do this in the evening keep the socks on all night and wash feet in morning.
    5. Do this regularly

You should find the cracks reduce and the pain gets better after a few days.

Of course good shoes are essential for exercising so you may need to check that as well.
  • yelhsalobie
    yelhsalobie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to give an update....

Gym is easier as I break the shoes in more but I was also wearing the wrong socks. I got some of those gel cushion bandaids specifically for heels as well as synthetic socks that cover my heels. Made a huge difference. Feeling a little dumb that I didn't think of different socks.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    As a huge obese man I had trouble with blisters, chafing and sore feet at first. It really inhibited my progress
    You know? Body failing before I'd had enough exercise.

Then found great socks, good shoes tied up carefully, lycra undershorts & leggings - problems solved. Now when I workout I stop when I've done sufficient not because something broke.

When you start lifting weights, recommend getting shoes designed for lifting

Oh, DON'T feel dumb, it's not obvious until you start.

Keep going, nice steady progress, don't rush to increase volume, increase difficulty instead
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i promise you if you keep it up, it will get easier. each day just do 'one more' better than the day before. one more min, or calorie or mile or one more anything. when you feel like you can't go anymore, push out "One More". i promise b4 you know it you will not believe that you were struggling on the first day. also, keep in mind, exercise does get easier, but it should never become 'easy'. you need to challenge yourself every day! good luck and don't give up you can do it! (you can also buy these little tubes that look like deodorant for your feet. it is meant as a barrier to help prevent blisters. ask for it at a good shoe store or a shoe repair place.)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I always liked the rowing machine. It works more body parts at once, and it's easy on your joints. Otherwise, I will do the 30 minute circuit, and give my self an extra round, because it does strength and cardio at the same time, and works all your major muscle groups. Pls itcs supwr flexible, so you can skip and add machines and exercises as you need.
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. It is unlikely that any running shoe and average sock is going to cause that. Your body just isn't used to power walking.

When I first started at the gym I initially did 5 minutes on the elliptical, then 10, 15, 30, 45, and now am up to 60 minutes at high intensity on the octane machines.

Start slow and build up. Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I couldn't walk from here to there without feet, ankles and knees hurting. The next day I would still be limping along. My wife bought me a pair of Skechers Go Walk shoes and my life changed almost immediately. I swear by them. Last November I walked for almost 4 miles without pain. They may not work for everyone but for me they are great.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. It is unlikely that any running shoe and average sock is going to cause that. Your body just isn't used to power walking.

When I first started at the gym I initially did 5 minutes on the elliptical, then 10, 15, 30, 45, and now am up to 60 minutes at high intensity on the octane machines.

I second this suggestion. When I started walking (knee injury, still can't jog or run), it was after six months of being in a hospital bed. I seriously got worn out just walking half a mile up the street to the drug store. But that was 15 years ago, and I'm now walking between 3 and 4 mph on a 15% incline for an hour at a time. Take it slow, do as much as you can't without injuring yourself, and don't sweat it if you can't do as much as you expected. As long as you're improving, you'll be fine.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

As I said in my post, I was getting blisters on the ball of my foot and upper thigh chafing from walking

I changed shoes, socks and got lycra 'second skin' leggings - never had a blister or chafing since