Grass fed meat

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Okay so I recently asked someone for help for eating wise and they told me to try eating grass fed meat and vegetable only would that be a good idea ? What do you guys think?

Unless you already have a lot of land in an area that allows raising animals it will be expensive. Grass fed and pastured meats are not cheap to buy.

Also, this type of change is generally done for ethical or environmental concerns rather than for weight/fitness reasons. Grass fed meats have similar calories to other meats of the same fat content. Grass fed beef has been shown to have more Omega-3 fatty acids than conventional corn-finished beef, but since it's also typically leaner the difference isn't much in meat (the difference can be seen more in butter or tallow).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Okay so I recently asked someone for help for eating wise and they told me to try eating grass fed meat and vegetable only would that be a good idea ? What do you guys think?

As others have said, what are your goals?

I eat very little meat these days, but for a long time have purchased my non-fish meat from a local farm that pastures the animals. I think the health benefit is minimal (there's a somewhat better fat ratio), but I preferred opting out of certain aspects of animal agriculture as currently practiced. That isn't really about nutrition or weight, however. It also requires more than finding a package labeled grass-fed.

I also think of course eating lots of vegetables (and a wide variety) is a good idea.

Limiting your diet to meat and vegetables seems sort of pointless and eliminates lots of nutrient-dense foods (and sources of protein other than meat, unless you'd class legumes as a vegetable rather than a starch (but also eggs and dairy if you eat those, plus nuts and grains)). Also, lots of meat doesn't come from animals that eat grass.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    [
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

As others have said, what are your goals?

I eat very little meat these days, but for a long time have purchased my non-fish meat from a local farm that pastures the animals. I think the health benefit is minimal (there's a somewhat better fat ratio), but I preferred opting out of certain aspects of animal agriculture as currently practiced. That isn't really about nutrition or weight, however. It also requires more than finding a package labeled grass-fed.

I also think of course eating lots of vegetables (and a wide variety) is a good idea.

Limiting your diet to meat and vegetables seems sort of pointless and eliminates lots of nutrient-dense foods (and sources of protein other than meat, unless you'd class legumes as a vegetable rather than a starch (but also eggs and dairy if you eat those, plus nuts and grains)). Also, lots of meat doesn't come from animals that eat grass.

But if it doesn't eat grass it doesn't contain the magical weight loss properties.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »

Grass fed meat leaves out a lot of delicious and lean meat .. like fish. and poultry. and pork.

"Grass fed meat only" is waaaay too restrictive.

I think you missed the point.
    Wild, organic, pasture raised, grass fed AND finished are all very very good choices, if one can afford. I can and I do.

I can and don't.

I eat a lot of meat and as long as it's USDA inspected and approved for sale, it doesn't matter to me what the cattle was fed.

I'll just buy the cheapest meat that I can find.

The only exception is when I treat myself to 4 oz cut of A5 Wagu Kobe beef for about $140 (or splurge on a 1/2# for $280) at the 5A5 Steak Lounge in San Francisco.

Then the pocketbook is WIDE open. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Personally I think grass fed beef tastes awful. I much prefer the taste of corn finished. And the grass fed label does not specify that the cows are not pumped full of antibiotics throughout their life, which is important to me. I eat little beef as I much prefer venison and we have a steady supply of that just out our front door, but when I buy beef I'm more likely to buy organic because that does prohibit the use of antibiotics.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    While I love a good steak now and then, I think diets that force to eat within a narrow food group are just plain nuts. It takes a lot of different foods to make up a balanced diet. Lets take veggies for example, while most are healthy no one in their right mind would suggest a diet of just one vegetable or one type like beans. Other than that it's plain boring too.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It sounds expensive.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Personally I think grass fed beef tastes awful. I much prefer the taste of corn finished. And the grass fed label does not specify that the cows are not pumped full of antibiotics throughout their life, which is important to me. I eat little beef as I much prefer venison and we have a steady supply of that just out our front door, but when I buy beef I'm more likely to buy organic because that does prohibit the use of antibiotics.

Pumped full of antibiotics? Please talk to a rancher sometime.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »

Grass fed meat leaves out a lot of delicious and lean meat .. like fish. and poultry. and pork.

"Grass fed meat only" is waaaay too restrictive.

I think you missed the point.
    Wild, organic, pasture raised, grass fed AND finished are all very very good choices, if one can afford. I can and I do.

I can and don't.

I eat a lot of meat and as long as it's USDA inspected and approved for sale, it doesn't matter to me what the cattle was fed.

I'll just buy the cheapest meat that I can find.

The only exception is when I treat myself to 4 oz cut of A5 Wagu Kobe beef for about $140 (or splurge on a 1/2# for $280) at the 5A5 Steak Lounge in San Francisco.

Then the pocketbook is WIDE open. ;)

Funny you say that. Your treat to me is the worse piece of steak I have ever had. It was so not worth it. Nothing but fat fat and more fat with a touch of red meat. Never again.

LOL!

The fat is precisely what makes it (and all other meat) taste great!

Wagu is all about the fat. I don't eat a lot of fat generally (usually only about 50-60g per day) but for Wagu beef (once a year or 2 at most), I make an exception.

But, of course, there's no accounting for taste. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Pumped full of antibiotics? Please talk to a rancher sometime.

Is it the word "full" you refute (that I can agree with but it's just the way I talk), or are you referring to the new FDA regulations? I will hold off until I see data on the impact of that before I make any changes.
  • sadrina1986
    sadrina1986 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eat whole food, and try to avoid any processed food; and at your affordable range go organic, grass-fed and cage free.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the better nutritional profile so I tried going grass fed, but I just don't like cooking it. It's leaner and there's a definite learning curve. I find grain finished turns out with a better texture. Since red meat is a small part of my diet, the improved nutrition isn't critical.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eat whole food, and try to avoid any processed food; and at your affordable range go organic, grass-fed and cage free.

Why are all processed foods to be avoided?

Tinned sardines, for example, or smoked wild caught salmon, or any cheese or cottage cheese or dried pasta or canned tomatoes (out of season supermarket tomatoes have no flavor), or dried grains in a bag or canned (low sodium) beans or flour (if one wants to, say, make bread or pasta), or olive oil, or a nut butter (many have no added ingredients, if that's the concern), or frozen fruit or veg, or, heck, let's say I'm feeling lazy and pick up a premade salsa (nothing I would not add) from WF, or a guac, or some tofu or pea protein.

There are many many others.

Too broad a category to say all should be avoided.

Indeed, what's wrong with occasional chocolate or ice cream.

As for organic, grass-fed, and cage-free, depends on your reasons, and people will prioritize differently. I don't care about organic, but care about supporting small local farms. I think "cage free" means nothing real, but care about animal welfare when I'm buying meat (more than avoiding all processed foods). I tend to buy grass fed if I'm buying beef (the farm I buy from pastures), but if the focus is animal welfare, that would not be the first or main thing I'd focus on.