LoseIt! vs MyFitnessPal, vs Cronometer

Options
jsoto8888
jsoto8888 Posts: 17 Member
Hello everyone! I used Loseit! many years ago when it came on the scene and I had great success with it. I got on a diet last year and was using Loseit!, and had MyFitnessPal on my phone for years but never used it or looked at the interface. I started using MFP since November and really liked it!! Has better macro and micro nutrient data than Loseit! They are both very equal but maybe MFP a tad better. They both integrate with FitBit very well. But it does seem that MFP does better with Fitbit than Loseit!, but nonetheless they both work with Fitbit pretty good.

Recently in a forum I heard someone say they use Cronometer for macro and micro tracking. I am on a Keto diet and macro and micro tracking is very important for losing weight. MFP does a good job but never heard of Cronometer and gave it a run. For a bout a month I was triple tracking with Loseit!, MFP, and Cronometer all with Premium Memberships.

As of yesterday I stopped using Loseit! and now just double track with MFP and Cronometer. I am doing double tracking so all my meals and foods get in my profile. That way in the future if I go one or the other it is all set up.

Cronometer, MFP, and Loseit! integrate with Apple Health. But MFP has had a but in doing duplicate entries in Apple Health data. That I just got tired of deleting the duplicates and basically stopped sharing MFP data over to Apple Health. I did report this bug to MFP support and they said they are aware of it. Not sure if that ever got resolved. No duplicate entry but with Loseit! or Cronometer with Apple Health App.

I have to say I am really impressed with Cronometer! I now have at a glance all my data including Macro and Micro nutrients. In the micro area is where MFP lacks a bit. Also Cronometer does Net Carbs a plus! What I really like in Cronometer as you enter the nutrition facts from a label as part of your food, supplement, etc., items. It shows use a nutrition facts label and you can see the data entered as a nutrition facts label to see if it matches the label you are getting the data from. Very intuitive! All in all I am very impressed.

I'll continue to use MFP and Cronometer as I like the MFP social aspects as well!! Just curious on your comments of tracking apps that you may be using. Maybe there is another great one out there that I have not hear of before just like what happened to me with Cronometer a few weeks ago. Comment away. I am curious to hear what the MFP user community thinks!!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of Cronometer. Too many basic things you needed to upgrade for, like separating meals out. Their database was weak too, but maybe it's better now. A lot of things I scanned weren't found. I've been here too long and have too many recipes built to switch over. I'm not a competitor or any kind of athlete, so I don't find value in paying for apps just to have more...stuff.
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this I am looking Cronometer as I am also on Keto. Seems to be much more intricate Will have to ttry the app as well
  • jsoto8888
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of Cronometer. Too many basic things you needed to upgrade for, like separating meals out. Their database was weak too, but maybe it's better now. A lot of things I scanned weren't found. I've been here too long and have too many recipes built to switch over. I'm not a competitor or any kind of athlete, so I don't find value in paying for apps just to have more...stuff.

I hear you. I got premium plans on all 3 of them. I did not really try to use the free versions. I have for Loseit!, only in the past. I figured I spend more on hypertension medications than it would cost on the Premium anual plan and if I get to reach my goal it was well worth it and inexpensive. But I here you on the recipes, food entries, and such. That is why I am dual tracking at the moment. Loseit! still has all my previous foods and recipes from the past. I work on a computer all day so doing data entry is not hard at all for me (desktop) and mobile with apps. But I totally understand your valid point! Thanks!
  • jsoto8888
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I like Cronometer for the net carbs feature but there aren't any crazy people to talk to about cutting edge non food and non fitness related topics on the discussion forums so I don't bother with it much.

I know that is why I am dual tracking with MFP for the social aspect as I mentioned in my post. Also I have been using many Facebook forums which I am subscribed for the ketogenic diet for my social fill along with MFP. I just use Cronometer for tracking which is what I need it for (Food diary, macro & micro nutrients log, and calculator). Cronometer does not have a social aspect it is just a tracker.
  • jsoto8888
    Options
    20ever wrote: »
    Thanks for this I am looking Cronometer as I am also on Keto. Seems to be much more intricate Will have to ttry the app as well

I like it very much. Just remember it does not have a social aspect to it like MFP or Loseit!, has. But It does not cost me much of any trouble to dual track on MFP and Cronometer. Very easy to do on a desktop computer, mobile, or mobile app. I also use Facebook forums for Keto for social aspects as well. MFP is good no doubt but Cronometer is really very good and accurate. You can enter your foods as you go. That is what I am doing. In time you will have your food database just like you may have already with MFP.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have used only free versions of all 3. Double tracked on lose it and mfp for several months. Finally just got tired of it and settled on mfp. I used chronometer for a shorter time for the micronutrients. According to mfp, I wasn't getting enough iron. I have never been anemic, I love meat, and probably eat calves liver more often than healthy. I read a post that said mfp foods often don't list micros. I looked back through my diary and found that to be true in entries I was using. So I started using Chronometer. I found I get enough of most vitamins, no surprises. I also found I get about 500-600% vitamin A many days. I wonder how much of a problem that is? Anyway, mfp is so much easier to use, I stopped using Chronometer.

And I do like the social part of mfp.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have used only free versions of all 3. Double tracked on lose it and mfp for several months. Finally just got tired of it and settled on mfp. I used chronometer for a shorter time for the micronutrients. According to mfp, I wasn't getting enough iron. I have never been anemic, I love meat, and probably eat calves liver more often than healthy. I read a post that said mfp foods often don't list micros. I looked back through my diary and found that to be true in entries I was using. So I started using Chronometer. I found I get enough of most vitamins, no surprises. I also found I get about 500-600% vitamin A many days. I wonder how much of a problem that is? Anyway, mfp is so much easier to use, I stopped using Chronometer.

If your Vitamin A is coming from plant foods, it is no problem at all. Only pre-formed Vitamin A (the kind found in vitamin supplements and animal foods) can cause overdosage problems. If it's from plant foods it is just a precursor and your body won't make more than you need.
  • jsoto8888
    Options

And I do like the social part of mfp.

I do agree that MFP's interface is nicer and easier to use. Right now I am using both but if and when I reach my goal weight. I'll settle with only one. It is not costing much work to double track. Triple tracking with Loseit!, was bit much. I do agree MFP is very nice! I am using Cronometer just to keep my micros in check while doing the Keto diet as I don't like when you get the Keto flue due to electrolyte fluctuations. It has helped me with that and watching my minerals. Eventually down the road I would only use one. MFP is great for the social, and many other things. By no ways I am giving any negatives to MFP. But I think using Cronometer is a plus a great tool to have.
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What are you using to track ketones?
  • jsoto8888
    Options
    What are you using to track ketones?

I am using this and purchased from Amazon "Smackfat Ketone Strips": https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SODYZQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1