Rugby inspired weight training?

Options
Its the off season so im focusing on weight training. Im curious if anyone has a rugby specific program that they follow and seems to work well. Im a prop if youre curious. Thanks!

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Olympic lifts, squat, dead’s, sldl, ohp
    Using light to moderate weight

I have a few rugby playing friends
    They all train for strength and explosiveness
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Olympic lifts, squat, dead’s, sldl, ohp
    Using light to moderate weight

I have a few rugby playing friends
    They all train for strength and explosiveness

Squats and deads are among my favs so those are definitely incorporated into my work outs. Thanks for the reply:)
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Its the off season so im focusing on weight training. Im curious if anyone has a rugby specific program that they follow and seems to work well. Im a prop if youre curious. Thanks!

For team sports, you need to find something that addresses some key areas.
    - Power / Force development (Oly lifts, plyometrics like vertical jumps, broad jumps, depth jumps, etc., are great).
    - Some maximal strength development (high intensity 80%+ low reps using lifts like squat, DL, and bench press are good cornerstones)
    - Strength endurance & Core stability: This can be discussed at great length so I'll try and keep it short. It's hard to say which exercises without doing a proper evaluation, but you can't go wrong with strengthening your lats, lower back, glues, hips, and hamstrings.
    1. - 1 to 3 sets 6 to 10 reps (unilateral) 12-20 reps bilateral (4/2/1 tempo, basically very controlled motion)
    2. - can superset exercises, a strength exercise such as the squat with something like a frontal plane lunge
    3. - include some exercises to develop abs, obliques, transversus abdominus (TrA). In school I found a fair amount of research relating a deficient TrA to lower-back pain and athletic injuries. Something like the breathing in technique is sufficient.

Agility & Mobility
    - Do some mobility work to ensure good range of motion and proprioception during movement
    - Agility drills

Edit: And holy crap, I grew-up in Hammond IN, lived in Munster, and Portage (years ago). Small world. :smile:
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

For team sports, you need to find something that addresses some key areas.
    - Power / Force development (Oly lifts, plyometrics like vertical jumps, broad jumps, depth jumps, etc., are great).
    - Some maximal strength development (high intensity 80%+ low reps using lifts like squat, DL, and bench press are good cornerstones)
    - Strength endurance & Core stability: This can be discussed at great length so I'll try and keep it short. It's hard to say which exercises without doing a proper evaluation, but you can't go wrong with strengthening your lats, lower back, glues, hips, and hamstrings.
    1. - 1 to 3 sets 6 to 10 reps (unilateral) 12-20 reps bilateral (4/2/1 tempo, basically very controlled motion)
    2. - can superset exercises, a strength exercise such as the squat with something like a frontal plane lunge
    3. - include some exercises to develop abs, obliques, transversus abdominus (TrA). In school I found a fair amount of research relating a deficient TrA to lower-back pain and athletic injuries. Something like the breathing in technique is sufficient.

Agility & Mobility
    - Do some mobility work to ensure good range of motion and proprioception during movement
    - Agility drills

Edit: And holy crap, I grew-up in Hammond IN, lived in Munster, and Portage (years ago). Small world. :smile:

@JAYxMSxPES thanks for this, some good info! Lol I play rugby in hammond! Small world indeed