Is there a point when it all stops?

Options
Is there a point where your body stops losing weight? Where it’s at the lowest it’ll get without you starving yourself completely? And if there is a point how do you know you’ve reached that point?

Replies

• Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy weight for your height and frame size. Aim for that and try to gain muscle to replace fat. BMI, although very flawed, can give you some idea of where you should be kind of.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you're not anorexic, you're not at that point.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure I know entirely what you mean. No, if you eat at a deficit forever, you will lose weight and eventually die of starvation. You will stop losing when you eat at maintenance or above.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode isn’t real otherwise anorexics would be obese.

Being hungry between meals is normal and healthy. It is your energy levels you need to care about.

Your body will adjust to new eating patterns, be patient. The first 2 weeks suck.
  • Ryansworld84
    Options
    I think what he is getting at is that its a moving number? If you dont continually change the calories you will eventually hit a point where you stop losing?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When you’re eating at maintenance
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Have you stopped losing weight? Are you at the low end of calories and cannot drop further without implicating health?

To expand on the starvation mode... this old thread covers it in details.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    People die of weight loss in extreme circumstances so that would be the end point.

I said without starving yourself completely.
    I think what he is getting at is that its a moving number? If you dont continually change the calories you will eventually hit a point where you stop losing?
    Yes exactly. I eat at 1,200 calories everyday so I’m at the lowest I can go without harming my body.
    apullum wrote: »
    You stop losing weight when you are no longer in a calorie deficit. Realistically, this happens to many people as their weight loss progresses because a smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger one. This is why people who start at higher weights can eat more calories and still lose, but their calorie allowance goes down as their weight goes down.

However, I think your question is really getting at "starvation mode" (the idea that one can eat very few calories and not lose weight) or "set point" (the idea that your body has some weight that it does not want to go under, regardless of your calorie intake). These are both myths.
    I eat at 1,200 calories a day. I have lost 31 pounds but I’m stuck. I’m 5’3 and 127. I haven’t lost any weight in months now.
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Have you stopped losing weight? Are you at the low end of calories and cannot drop further without implicating health?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1

Thank you yes I’m at 1,200 calories and haven’t lost weight in months
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »

Being hungry between meals is normal and healthy. It is your energy levels you need to care about.

Your body will adjust to new eating patterns, be patient. The first 2 weeks suck.
    I’ve been doing this for months that’s why I ask if there’s a point to where your body stops losing weight. I’ve lost 31 pounds and haven’t lost any in months. I eat 1,200 calories a day and I weigh all my food
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    People die of weight loss in extreme circumstances so that would be the end point.

I said without starving yourself completely.
    Yes exactly. I eat at 1,200 calories everyday so I’m at the lowest I can go without harming my body.
    apullum wrote: »
    You stop losing weight when you are no longer in a calorie deficit. Realistically, this happens to many people as their weight loss progresses because a smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger one. This is why people who start at higher weights can eat more calories and still lose, but their calorie allowance goes down as their weight goes down.

However, I think your question is really getting at "starvation mode" (the idea that one can eat very few calories and not lose weight) or "set point" (the idea that your body has some weight that it does not want to go under, regardless of your calorie intake). These are both myths.
    I eat at 1,200 calories a day. I have lost 31 pounds but I’m stuck. I’m 5’3 and 127. I haven’t lost any weight in months now.
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Thank you yes I’m at 1,200 calories and haven’t lost weight in months

If you haven't lost weight at 1,200 calories, then you either have very, very low calorie needs or you're making some logging errors that mean you're eating more than you think you are (this is the case for the vast majority of people who aren't losing when they think they should be).

I’ve been doing this for months and haven’t had any problems since about two months ago I reached a stop in my weight loss. I weigh everything I put in my body and track everything. I stopped at 127
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you aren't losing on 1200 calories then you're eating more than you think. How are you measuring your intake?
    I’m weighing all my food with a electric scale. I’ve been doing this for going on 7 months so I know I’ve been doing it correctly. I don’t know why everything has stopped.
  • Ryansworld84
    Options

I’ve been doing this for months that’s why I ask if there’s a point to where your body stops losing weight. I’ve lost 31 pounds and haven’t lost any in months. I eat 1,200 calories a day and I weigh all my food

What is your height, weight and age?
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You should try a diet break
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

What is your height, weight and age?

21, 5’3 127 pounds
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    You should try a diet break

For how long? Won’t I gain my weight back?