Gain 2lbs from one meal?

Options
cnmorgan13
cnmorgan13 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing keto with IF and had a KFC last night. I only had the boneless chicken and weighed myself this morning and I've gained 2lbs. Why does this happen!? I know it will disappear in a couple of days but man it's disheartening

Replies

• pinkfluffycupcake
    Options
    I have had that happen too - it’s generally just due to sodium and water retention. It’s so hard for me to not weigh in daily but seeing that number al over just drives me insane! I’m trying to break the habit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your meal was higher in carbohydrate or sodium, that can lead to temporary water weight gain. If you eat more food than usual, that food will still be in your system and can lead to your weighing more.

It's perfectly normal and not worth getting disheartened about.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Gained 2 lbs from when??? I gain about 5lbs every day, morning to evening.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cnmorgan13 wrote: »
    I've been doing keto with IF and had a KFC last night. I only had the boneless chicken and weighed myself this morning and I've gained 2lbs. Why does this happen!? I know it will disappear in a couple of days but man it's disheartening

Because you ate more sodium/carbs than usual, that's why.
  • cnmorgan13
    cnmorgan13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've bought new scales as well. I have to hop on 2 to 3 times to get a consistent reading. Will drink extra water today
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Consider a weight trend app, perhaps?
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates. don't sweat it. as long as your weight is trended down within the scope of like a month or so, you're fine.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    weight will fluctuate...but KFC also has a crapton of sodium in it. I'm guessing you are just retaining some fluid from that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Your weight is not a set number. It fluctuates all day, every day. Most people weigh the least first thing in the morning and then "gain" throughout the day.

Water can be retained in the muscles for repair, if you've done new-to-you exercise.

In females, hormones cause lots of water weight issues, usually during ovulation and/or TOM.

Eating more carbs or sodium than your body is used to will cause water weight. (I can't remember the scientific reason behind it.)

Travel/flying can cause water weight.

Excessive temperatures can cause water weight.

Sunburns and other inflammatory-type injuries can cause water weight.