Strengthen lower back

Options
I could really use some advice on how to strengthen my lower back. I had lower back surgery a few years ago, no metal was inserted. But every time I start to workout again my lower back seizes up and is so painful. What kind of exercises can I do to make it stronger?

Replies

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a question for your doctor or physio

Doctor wanted me to do physical therapy at one point but I can’t afford it right now.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    With the lack of info you given, it would be inappropriate for a knowledgeable doctor to give you advice not alone any person on the internet.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of exercises that can be done to strengthen your lower back BUT you say that your lower back "seizes up" and is painful when you start a workout.

Under these conditions, NONE of the standard lower back exercises would be recommended b4 you properly assess the cause of the lower back pain and "seizure."

I'd suggest thst you go back to your doctor for a further assessment and/or bite the bullet and pay for the necessary PT that your doctor has already recommended.

If those are not acceptable options, then I would just NOT do anything that stresses my lower back in hope that resting it will allow it to heal itself over time w/o the need for further medical assessment or PT.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    But every time I start to workout again my lower back seizes up and is so painful.

Maybe you're doing too much too soon? What exactly does your workout involve?
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree to go and get a physical therapy assessment- even if it’s only 1-2x. They have the best knowledge and could be able to point out other weaknesses or areas of concern that you may not notice.
    I suffered from back spasms back in college and mine was due to a weak core. Also, tight hamstrings make me more prone to lower back pain. Best of luck healing!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

Doctor wanted me to do physical therapy at one point but I can’t afford it right now.

what i do when i can't physio - for whatever reason - is get googling. there's not just a zillion workouts and ideas for just about everything online. there's also a zillion muscular-anatomy charts. so no (no offence) excuse for not being able to at least start getting a ballpark idea of what part of you is having the trouble and then keep researching and take it from there. when i didn't have the faintest idea, i'd just type in something like '[body zone] muscles' and then keep refining and narrowing down.

please understand, i am NOT advocating that you totally self-diagnose and then self-prescribe. all the provisos about being cautious and taking it really carefully and continuing to listen to your body goes double and triple for a lower back that has had surgery. but i do know the 'can't access physio' things soit's a thought. and even if you decide not to chance anything that you come across, at least you'll be a little better acquainted with your own body and how it works. there's something sort of comforting about opening up an anatomy chart and seeing exactly the muscle that's giving you aggravation right there on the screen.

the other thing i realise i should have asked is: what does 'try to work out' mean? walking a mile? doing the daily wod from crossfit hq? something else? knowing what sets it off - intensity level as well as activity type - can be helpful too, in assessing the level of your vulnerability.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Having had four lower back surgeries myself....please do not do anything to aggravate your back. If it's painful or causing your back to seize up you need to stop. I would not try any strengthening exercises until I saw a doctor. Physical therapy is so important in the healing process. Maybe look into payment options or let your doctor know your financial concerns. They may have other options for you, things you can try at home ect...
    I'd love to give you better advice and I know those aren't the suggestions you are looking for. But I've been through this. Hang in there!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You also can't afford to injure it again. A good physical therapist is worth his/her weight in gold. I had back surgery last April, but my therapy could be totally different than what yours would be. I would really, really try to get in at least once and maybe explain your financial concerns.
  • jacqueline0821
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    But every time I start to workout again my lower back seizes up and is so painful.

Maybe you're doing too much too soon? What exactly does your workout involve?

I am sure I started out with too much. On 1/1 I did a short kettle bell workout. On 1/2 I did the 30 minute circuit at the gym (Planet Fitness) and 17 minutes on the treadmill alternately between running and walking. Yesterday (1/3) I walked for 60 minutes at 2.5 mph on the treadmill.
  • jacqueline0821
    Options

what i do when i can't physio - for whatever reason - is get googling. there's not just a zillion workouts and ideas for just about everything online. there's also a zillion muscular-anatomy charts. so no (no offence) excuse for not being able to at least start getting a ballpark idea of what part of you is having the trouble and then keep researching and take it from there. when i didn't have the faintest idea, i'd just type in something like '[body zone] muscles' and then keep refining and narrowing down.

please understand, i am NOT advocating that you totally self-diagnose and then self-prescribe. all the provisos about being cautious and taking it really carefully and continuing to listen to your body goes double and triple for a lower back that has had surgery. but i do know the 'can't access physio' things soit's a thought. and even if you decide not to chance anything that you come across, at least you'll be a little better acquainted with your own body and how it works. there's something sort of comforting about opening up an anatomy chart and seeing exactly the muscle that's giving you aggravation right there on the screen.

the other thing i realise i should have asked is: what does 'try to work out' mean? walking a mile? doing the daily wod from crossfit hq? something else? knowing what sets it off - intensity level as well as activity type - can be helpful too, in assessing the level of your vulnerability.

I think the combination of the circuit and starting to run again is what agitated it. It feels a lot better today. I did google some stretches last night that I am going to do today. I just want to be able to strengthen it so that when I work out it doesn't hurt. Thanks for the detailed response.
  • jacqueline0821
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    You also can't afford to injure it again. A good physical therapist is worth his/her weight in gold. I had back surgery last April, but my therapy could be totally different than what yours would be. I would really, really try to get in at least once and maybe explain your financial concerns.

I may go just for a consult. I never had to do physical therapy after my surgery. I bounced right back and recovered so well that it wasn't required.
  • jacqueline0821
    Options
    rach3116 wrote: »
    I agree to go and get a physical therapy assessment- even if it’s only 1-2x. They have the best knowledge and could be able to point out other weaknesses or areas of concern that you may not notice.
    I suffered from back spasms back in college and mine was due to a weak core. Also, tight hamstrings make me more prone to lower back pain. Best of luck healing!

Thanks for the response!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You could be doing yourself some serious damage.

Stop until you can get a physio app.

Could your parents not pay it for you?

Or crowd fund friends, a dollar each would help. Find out the price of a one off session
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As above, try google for piriformis stretches/exercises.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend yoga, especially a heated yoga course if allowed by your doctor -- lots of stretching and twisting without putting any extra weight on your back