Reheating a frozen, already-cooked lasagne

Options
My boyfriend and I had planned on having dinner tonight but due to a freak snowfall he was unable to come over as the city panicked and closed most of the roads (I live in a tiny pocket of SE Georgia, this is not something we're used to. The last comparison snowfall we had was in 1989). But, as I had already made the lasagne before the road closings, and we're rescheduling dinner, I wrapped the pasta/baking dish and put it in the freezer.

So, my question is, how do I reheat it? I'd have to be in the oven, but do I defrost it first? Put it in the fridge, sit it on the counter? I've always assumed the Stouffers etc lasagne isn't fully cooked all the way (that cheese is clearly un-melted) but am not sure how to reheat basically a block of frozen pre-cooked pasta-y goodness (I will ego-boast, I make a damn fine lasagne). I assume it won't taste entirely fresh, but that's okay as long as we're not crunching ice cubes in the tomato sauce.

Any tips are appreciated!

~VL

Replies

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've reheated lasagna by defrosting it on the counter and then microwaving individual servings in a covered (but cracked) microwave safe dish. I find reheating in oven will dry out already cooked lasagna. Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I would microwave until thawed and hot, then oven to crisp the top back up.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You could cook it directly from the freezer--it's just going to take a little longer. People who do freezer cooking recommend turning down the oven temperature and keeping it covered with foil so it doesn't dry out. https://www.chowhound.com/post/cook-frozen-pan-lasagna-775318
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't have a microwave, so unfortunately that isn't an option. :/ I'm not anti-microwave, but mine broke about 6 months ago and I found I do perfectly fine without one (and, it makes room for my bread machine!)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Without a microwave, I think apullum's suggestion of covering with foil at a low temperature in the oven is best.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would thaw it and then heat it covered the same amount of time you orginally baked it- or put it in the oven frozen and increase the time.
    https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/series/get-started/thawing-freezer-meals/
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thaw it & reheat in oven. I did all time. Keep covered with foil until last 10 min if worried about drying out