Start reading the packets...

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The idea that someone would read my diary and be righteous about the "rubbish" I was eating would have been very off-putting when I was getting started. I hope the people who have asked you for help aren't seeing this thread.

I've reached a point where I don't really care that people think some of my favorite foods are "rubbish," but not everyone is there.

If I don't like bananas or don't feel like eating one in the moment, it's okay for me to pick a granola bar instead. If I find out that the granola bar leads to me feeling hungrier later, I can note that and make adjustments in future days. If I find that the granola bar causes me not to meet my nutritional needs for the day (unlikely, as it's a source of carbohydrates just like the banana would be), I can make those adjustments too. But I don't see what good is going to come from me convincing myself that a granola bar is "rubbish" and that I should want a banana instead.

This is a great point. I have a few people who have commented that drinking my calories in smoothies is a bad idea. I used to agree however after getting a blender for christmas I decided to try it out and smoothies actually keep me full until lunch time. It doesnt work for everyone but for now its something that is working for me trying out new combinations and making adjustments is such a critical part of weight loss because everyone is looking for a long term way of eating. If I hate the banana and prefer granola bars im probably not going to stick to my "clean eating" forever

Avoiding smoothies because *other people* don't find them filling is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about!

Yeah, when you're trying a smoothie for the first time it's a great idea to be aware of the general principle that some people don't find them to be filling. But once you've determined it doesn't apply to you, there's no reason to use that information to plan your personal meals. Same with any "diet truism," whether it's "skipping breakfast is a bad idea," "diet soda makes you hungry," or "carbohydrates aren't filling." Be aware that it's a possibility, but pay attention to your own body.
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In the interests of clarity the person I was talking about has been a friend for over 15 years, she convinced me to re-start with MFP and when we were 'chatting' on messenger and I said 'what was with the sausage at breakfast' she laughed and said that was why she wanted me to read her diary. She is still a friend and loves me staying with her as I usually cook and fill her freezer.

The reason I have an open food diary for 'friends' is because I have got into food habits and often another set of eyes can point out something that might help. If someone points out something and makes me look at myself differently thats exactly what I asked them to do. isn't that the point as well as looking at someones diary and thinking 'thats a great meal for only 400 cal'?

As I said I am here to loose weight myself as although I am careful with choices I eat too much, so I didn't intend to come across as righteous or superior or for people to think that I was 'food shaming'. Clearly I could have worded my original post differently.

I don't claim to have the answers but making informed choices and reading ingredients before making a decision instead of afterwards when putting food into the diary can make a big difference. Looking at some food diaries really made me question if people do this.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    In the interests of clarity the person I was talking about has been a friend for over 15 years, she convinced me to re-start with MFP and when we were 'chatting' on messenger and I said 'what was with the sausage at breakfast' she laughed and said that was why she wanted me to read her diary. She is still a friend and loves me staying with her as I usually cook and fill her freezer.

The reason I have an open food diary for 'friends' is because I have got into food habits and often another set of eyes can point out something that might help. If someone points out something and makes me look at myself differently thats exactly what I asked them to do. isn't that the point as well as looking at someones diary and thinking 'thats a great meal for only 400 cal'?

As I said I am here to loose weight myself as although I am careful with choices I eat too much, so I didn't intend to come across as righteous or superior or for people to think that I was 'food shaming'. Clearly I could have worded my original post differently.

I don't claim to have the answers but making informed choices and reading ingredients before making a decision instead of afterwards when putting food into the diary can make a big difference. Looking at some food diaries really made me question if people do this.

I didn't think your post was righteous and certainly not 'shaming'. It's not as if you said "do this or you're wrong".
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

<snip>

I was SHOCKED at how much rubbish and processed foods people are eating. One person ate a sausage at nearly 300 cals for breakfast. A SINGLE SAUSAGE. We were chatting via message and she said she was always hungry during the day at work and thats when she snacked.

I don't claim to have all the answers, I'm not a nutrition expert and I'm here because I need to loose weight too. BUT. Try taking 30 mins out to read your own diaries and see where you can cut out the high cal processed foods. Maybe add in a boiled egg as a snack, some roasted chicken or leftover beef steak with a salad. I understand that everyone has busy lives, not everyone has control over what they eat or don't have access to be able to cook themselves but every small step will help. Don't pick up a muesli bar instead of a banana - without reading the label and making an informed decision.

I think the bolded is where most people took exception.

My personal eating preference is IIFYM. I hit my macros, I eat healthy foods. I also have candy or ice cream every night. It's called balance, happiness, and what helps me stay successful.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I didn't think your post was righteous and certainly not 'shaming'. It's not as if you said "do this or you're wrong".

It's hard to think of a context in which eating a substance that has been deemed "rubbish" is good. It's a term we use for non-food, things that should be thrown away, things that are harmful. It's a hostile thing to say about someone's chosen food (it's actually actionable in some contexts, like an office environment with certain cultural subtexts) and it's certainly valid to interpret that as righteousness or potentially shameful for the person who is eating said "rubbish."
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options

Except she's still judging people when it come to reading a list of ingredients.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Except she's still judging people when it come to reading a list of ingredients.

In what way? I see her advocating for it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It's hard to think of a context in which eating a substance that has been deemed "rubbish" is good. It's a term we use for non-food, things that should be thrown away, things that are harmful. It's a hostile thing to say about someone's chosen food (it's actually actionable in some contexts, like an office environment with certain cultural subtexts) and it's certainly valid to interpret that as righteousness or potentially shameful for the person who is eating said "rubbish."

Oh please. Are you seriously saying you've never heard anyone say they eat rubbish??
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Oh please. Are you seriously saying you've never heard anyone say they eat rubbish??

I'm not sure what in my post would cause you to ask that question.

I'm talking about when people describe what *others eat* as rubbish, what we're seeing here. OP isn't describing her own diet, she's describing the feelings she has when she reads diaries and sees what others are choosing to eat.

If you think there is no difference between someone looking at their own food and saying it is "rubbish" and saying it about someone else's food, I suggest you to approach someone eating in a common work area and say it about their lunch or snack or maybe try it next time you're served food at someone's house. This may help reveal some of the differences between saying it about your own chosen food and saying it about what someone else is choosing to eat (or to serve you).

It was your first sentence - It's hard to think of a context in which eating a substance that has been deemed "rubbish" is good.

Obviously "rubbish" is a subjective term when it comes to food. I eat rubbish, crap, junk occasionally.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    everyone does what works for them .

I've lost 100 pounds eating mostly how (what) i always have. granted, I dont eat a ton of prepackaged foods because i dont like them. they cost more. i enjoy cooking. however, I am gone 12 hours a day from my house. I have a son, and 5 dogs and a full time job. My son who, though he eats what i put in front of him, doesnt eat much and certainly doesnt appreciate a nice meal. So I save those, mostly, for when my fiance is home. we eat simply other times, and 'real' foods, but yes, there are plenty of times when i use some sort of skillet type freezer meal or a frozen lasagna or if i really want to make my sons day, a frozen pizza or god forbid hot dogs.

make changes where you can. Work with the amount of time you have. Do what you can. not everyone has the time or inclination to make spaghetti sauce from scratch or homemade bread every day.