Loosing weight with PCOS

Options
Hi all,
I’ve used the app on and off for a while but first time posting here!

My name is Bethanie and the main reason I’m loosing weight is because we are trying for a baby and my fertility doctor thinks my weight is linked to my PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and that loosing weight will help me ovulate again- and if not I need to loose weight to qualify for more help to conceive.

Unfortunately it’s very slow going but I’ve lost 4.6kg so far (put on 1.5kg over Christmas

Replies

• karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the boards!

I also have PCOS, and suffered from infertility 12 years ago. Part of my plan with my fertility doctor was losing weight, as well as taking Metformin. My consultant told me that Metformin has a side effect in a lot PCOS women of getting them to ovulate, so it may be worth asking your's if that is an option.

It took us just over 2 years, and I lost around 50 lbs, but we were able to conceive and have a whirlwind of a 9 year old, now.

A lot of PCOS women find cutting carbs helps them, I suppose it depends on how insulin resistant you are. But I've found that for me a simple calorie deficit aiming for around 25-30% protein and 25-30% fat works wonders.

Best of luck on your TTC and weight loss journeys!

• RozzeleS
    RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have PCOS and was diagnosed while still at school over 10years ago, unfortunately losing weight did not help me conceive after trying with my partner for over 3 years we've now been accepted for IVF and will be starting are first cycle later this year.

Calorie Counting is the easiest way to lose weight but I've find when I do a high protein and low carb diet this does speeds up the process I tend to aim for 35carb/30fat/35protein.

Good luck on your journeys :)
  • Bailey00030
    Bailey00030 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    HI Bethanie. I also have PCOS. My Doctor recommended a book to me called the Insulin Resistance diet and it talks a lot about pairing a carb with a protein (link and balance approach). It has helped me a bit. Best of luck on your journey!!!