WONDERFUL SOUTH EASTERN INDIAN DRY CURRY

Options
Lalasharni
Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
Lalasharni Spice lovers! Here is a recipe for 295 calories of heat and loveliness! high in fibre, vegetarian and very good for you - go for this receipe from the south east of India. You can use any vegetables you like - the "sauce" will transform even the humble carrot. I didnt eat rice or starch with it - just had a big bowl!!

INGREDIENTS • 3 tbsp coconut oil • or vegetable oil • 2 tsp black mustard seeds • 2 tbsp fresh curry leaves • 1 tsp cumin seeds • 2 dried Kashmiri chillies, each broken into 3or 4 pieces • 30g/6cm ginger, finely grated into a paste • ½tsp turmeric • 1 tsp salt • ½tsp coarsely ground • black pepper • 250g hispi or pointed spring cabbage (or spring greens), shredded into 5mm pieces • 2 carrots, diced • 2 fresh green chillies, sliced into thin rounds, with seeds • 100g fresh or frozen coconut flesh, blitzed in a food processor or grated To serve • Boiled basmati rice and poppadoms

PREPARATION 1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or karahi set over a medium heat, and when hot, add the mustard seeds followed by the curry leaves, cumin seeds and dried chillies 2. Stir for about 30 seconds, then add the ginger paste, turmeric, salt and black pepper and fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the cabbage and carrots and cook, covered, over a medium heat for 5–7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, adding a splash of water if they start to stick to the pan 3. Stir in the green chillies and coconut, heat through for a minute and serve. Serve with rice or poppadoms.
I just ate this for my evening meal - oh yummy!!!

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! We have a south Indian restaurant in Hull and went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago - it was wonderful!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I am definitely going to have to try this