Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carbonated drinks increase hunger?

Options
jesspen91
jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
I was watching Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BBC 2 and they did a mini experiment based on this study.

http://www.obesityresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S1871-403X(17)30006-6/fulltext

They found that volunteers who drank carbonated drinks had higher levels of ghrelin (hunger hormone) immediately afterwards and ate more calories (reported in a food diary) this was the case even with non sugary fizzy drinks like sparkling water.

Obviously this was for a TV show so should be taken with a grain of salt but it backs up the linked paper which was published in a peer-reviewed journal.

I'd never heard of this before but found it fascinating. I think it might explain some of the culture of fast food places (unlimited refills, meal deals) and their push of fizzy drinks.

Replies

• BradR_82
    BradR_82 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I absolutely love sparkling water and have several a day...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have heard that before.

It's been so long since I drank carbonated drinks on a regular basis that I'm not sure how it affects me personally.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I love sparkling water and drink large amounts of it regularly, especially on the weekends. I find that, if anything, it makes me less hungry. I often drink it between meals and it doesn't make me reach for snacks.
    I can't really report on soda/hunger, because I only drink soda when I'm already eating - I don't enjoy it alone, for whatever reason. But since I eat the same stuff regularly, I can say that I eat the same portion whether or not I'm enjoying the nectar of the gods (Diet Dr. Pepper) with it.
    The context matters more: I'd eat more if I was having a fizzy drink with a meal in a restaurant, because portion sizes. And I'd eat more if I was drinking a fizzy drink with food in front of the TV or at the movies, because mindless eating. In the study, were the participants confined to a lab or were they out and about and just logging food?

ETA: If you looked at my life, you might reach the same conclusion - that fizzy drinks = more calories consumed, because on the weekends that I am over on calories, I drink a ton of sparking water. But they're not related that way. The weekends that I drink the most sparkling are weekends where we go to wine tastings (hence the excess calories) and I drink extra water to stay hydrated. My brain cannot with still water, especially warm water that's been left in the car, but I can chug a can of sparkling water like nobody's business no matter the temperature. And the sparkling water actually keeps me from consuming EVEN MORE excess calories - I feel too full from the water to succumb to the snacky impulses from wine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced such a thing...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Another sparkling water consumer here that isn't hungrier consuming it.

I honestly think it fills me up more than still water (never tested this theory as I dislike still water and only drink it when desperate)

I did hear/read that post WLS one isn't supposed to drink carbonated beverages as it can stretch the stomach.

Cheers, h.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I consume several liters of seltzer water a day. I don't find it makes me more hungry at all. I could drink that all day and eat very little.
  • sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water helped me lose weight (it meant I drank fewer fruit juices, soft drinks etc) so whilst the study is interesting I think it depends on where you're coming from.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I find they have the opposite effect if anything

Me too
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke instead of bored or stress eating and find the caffeine + carbonation holds me over until the next meal.
  • Ohhhtayyyy
    Ohhhtayyyy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That’s so interesting
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is carbonated water makes (or leaves) me thirsty. It does NOT come close to filling up my stomach tho, the way a regular glass of water does.

I don’t *think* it makes me hungry, but I haven’t tracked it so I don’t actually know my caloric consumption on days I have it (a couple of glasses a week.)

Interesting study.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I think with the study they did, the carbonated drinks may have caused higher levels of ghrelin (hunger hormone) but the volume of drink in the stomach and the gas causes the stomach to bloat making you feel less hungry.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In my n=1 experience, carbonated beverages haven't seemed to do anything to me with regards to hunger.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the idea of carbonated drinks being a trigger or people having certain associations with carbonated drinks could be a factor. I drank diet root beer for a long time as a crutch the help stave off eating/cravings... until I started associating it with eating/binging, in which case it only made things worse.

Obviously that's more related to my own issues than it is an endorsement/condemnation of the drink, but I put it out there to do with as you will.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I don't drink sparkling water.
    But my personal experience when I drink soft drinks is that they dont change my hunger levels one way or the other.